A New Spin on the UofM KFAN feud.

KFAN pays the vikings millions of dollars and I believe about 40% of the on air staff is or were employees of the vikings in one way or another, and you know the other 60% wants to become employees of the vikings. I am not in the camp that I don't expect more coverage from KFAN just informative and accurate with personal issues attached. KFAN's ratings are poor and when the vikings leave for LA they will be gone as well, enjoy both the Vikings and KFAN for what they are while their here! IMO as always

I love the Gophers in all sports and I never went to the U. They are my state team and will always be my college team of choice no matter where I live.

Have you been to a sports bar anywhere outside of the 494 loup lately? All the signs and posters in the bars are Vikings, Twins, and Wild. You never see any Maroon and Gold.
May be bigger than you think, I live in South Dakota and there are sports bars here that have gopher football calenders, basketball calenders along with Vikings, Twins, Cornhusker and Bronco stuff on the wall. I have also had members of this board in South Dakota deliver pizza to me, sell me plumbing fittings and hook up my cable. All in a small town of 8,000. Gopher football is much larger than people think.

Except that those sports teams are an extension of that institution.

The media is foucsed on Gopher football. They're just clueless. And they have created a clueless populace. Part of the problem is that we live in a state that has to learn how to follow college football all over again.

KFAN hosts are urged to talk about the Gophers because market rersearch shows that Gopher football has a sizable following. It's not like the Vikings or Twins, but it's big. The problem is that they never have anything intellegent to say, so they usually just go negative.

If you think people chose to follow Makato State or St. Thomas or even NDSU instead of the U, you just don't get it either. Minnesota is in a different league.

This type of post is where I have a problem with some of you. I'm trying to have a calm reasonable discussion about this, but you all get so defensive. Your last comment about Minnesota being in a different league is exactly why I can't reason with you. You guys have a superiority complex about the U and can't imagine someone being a fan of lowly UMD or SCSU or even worse Bemidji State. For the most part a college is a college and don't try to tell me how much greater the U is compared to other state schools. I took a few grad classes at the U after graduating from another state school and the educational experience was no different. The classes weren't any harder or more challenging at the U and the teachers weren't any more available to help with questions. You're putting the U on this pedistal that it just isn't on. Yes, the U has some great departments like its medical department and others, but other state schools have great departments in other fields. Every college has its pros and cons, so don't act like the U is the greatest school ever. This still doesn't mean that I hate the gophers and don't cheer for them from time to time, it just means I like other teams better.

Are you trying to tell me that nobody in MN would ever chose to cheer for a team other than the gophers? Really? How do they end up cheering for them then? Are they forced to cheer for other teams? I don't get it. What is it that I don't get. Are you saying the UMD hockey fans didn't chose to cheer for the bulldogs instead of the gophers. What were they brainwashed? If you didn't know schools like UMD and SCSU have some history to them as well, they didn't just pop up 10 years ago. They've been around almost as long as the U.

UMD/SCSU/Bemidji don't compete with the Gophers in football. Or basketball. Hockey is its own animal. You wanna be an SCSU fan? Fine. Root for their team. But what I don't get is why it's so difficult to understand supporting the only big-time college football team in the state. IF you want to follow D1 (aka big-time) college football, are from Minnesota, why not the Gophers? Comparing the football and basketball at the U to the other in-state institutions is like comparing apples to road apples.

To say there isn't a well spring of sentiment for the Gophers in the state seems unthought out at best. They've just been so bad for so long, but you don't have to go back to the 60's to remember state wide excitement. The 1999 team that ended the regular season beating Penn State (2), Indiana and then Iowa (17) before losing to Oregon (12) by 4 in The Sun Bowl had a large following state wide. So did the 2003 team, well, before the Michigan(17) and then the Iowa(20) games.

Even Brewster's team last year, when it was 7-1 after the Purdue(25) there were a LOT of people who were jumping on the Gopher's bandwagon. They all weren't hard core Gopher fans, for sure. Maybe not at KFAN and certainly not Dark Star or Ruesse, but people were surprised and hoping for more...we all know what happened next.

Winning will turn it around. Who knows when or if that will happen, but after being burned so many times recently it's going to take a 9 or 10 win regular season or a big Bowl Game win to do it again.

You have to be kidding if you think that the U of M sports teams are more of an "institution" than the Viking or Twins. As you said in your post you were around before the 4 sports teams so you must be at least 60. I think this is part of why our opinions differ so much. Obviously people 60+ are gophers fans because that is all they had growing up. I'm only 29 and bleed purple. I love the Viking, Twins, and Wild. You need to realize the the times are changing. Maybe back in the 50's and 60's the gophers were the big team in outstate MN but not anymore. Have you been to a sports bar anywhere outside of the 494 loup lately? All the signs and posters in the bars are Vikings, Twins, and Wild. You never see any Maroon and Gold. I'm not saying people should hate the gophers, I'm just saying they care much more about the Vikings and Twins. This is another reason why the gopher hockey team just isn't and won't be what it used to be. Back in the day kids grew up dreaming about the gophers and only the gophers, but now they have many more teams to dream of playing for that you don't get those die hard gopher hockey guys anymore. Now you get a bunch of talented but lazy players that play for the gophers for the prestige of it and not for the love of the team.

You suck at being a troll. First you're 30 and now you're 29? Let me guess, you just had a birthday and got confused. :rolleyes:

UMD/SCSU/Bemidji don't compete with the Gophers in football. Or basketball. Hockey is its own animal. You wanna be an SCSU fan? Fine. Root for their team. But what I don't get is why it's so difficult to understand supporting the only big-time college football team in the state. IF you want to follow D1 (aka big-time) college football, are from Minnesota, why not the Gophers? Comparing the football and basketball at the U to the other in-state institutions is like comparing apples to road apples.

I never said you can't be a fan of the gophers, I even said I am a little bit. But when push comes to shove I want to hear much more about the Vikings than the Gophers. I'm not ripping on any of you for supporting gopher football, I'm just saying I think you overrate the gopher fandom a bit. KFAN is what it is. It's mainly a pro sports station. If you want to hear informed gopher football talk listen to WCCO when their sports shows are on and when you want to hear about the Vikings listen to KFAN. Can't it be as simple as that?

Just like on Sunday's during the football season I watch FOX for NFC games and CBS for AFC games. I don't keep my TV on FOX and then complain about how I never get to see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady play. Why does KFAN have to ripped for that, it's just their style.

This type of post is where I have a problem with some of you. I'm trying to have a calm reasonable discussion about this, but you all get so defensive. Your last comment about Minnesota being in a different league is exactly why I can't reason with you. You guys have a superiority complex about the U and can't imagine someone being a fan of lowly UMD or SCSU or even worse Bemidji State.

I have no degree from the U. My degrees are all from institutions in other states.

The Gophers are in a different league. It's called the Big Ten. or Or, D1-FBS if you prefer.

I enjoy watching other levels of football. But Minnesota is a Big Ten team. And, depite the salanderous pub from two years ago, that's a s big as college football gets.

As for college hockey: you might want to research how instrumental and supportive the U of M was in promoting D1 hockey at St. Cloud State, Mankato State and (more recently) Bemidji State.

You suck at being a troll. First you're 30 and now you're 29? Let me guess, you just had a birthday and got confused. :rolleyes:

Yes, actually I did get confused. My 30th is coming in a couple of weeks so I guess I was just thinking of that. If I was really being a troll and making stuff up wouldn't I been more than one year off? Wouldn't I have said 29 once then 45 in another post or something?

I have no degree from the U. My degrees are all from institutions in other states.

The Gophers are in a different league. It's called the Big Ten. or Or, D1-FBS if you prefer.

I enjoy watching other levels of football. But Minnesota is a Big Ten team. And, depite the salanderous pub from two years ago, that's a s big as college football gets.

As for college hockey: you might want to research how instrumental and supportive the U of M was in promoting D1 hockey at St. Cloud State, Mankato State and (more recently) Bemidji State.

Yes, I get it they compete at a higher level in basketball and football. This isn't the problem that I have with you comments. My problem is that you act as if someone doesn't cheer for the gophers they're an idiot. Just because the gophers are in the Big Ten doesn't make them special it's just a higher league. Does that mean the people that cheer for the St. Paul Saints are idiots for not cheering for the Twins because the Twins are in the major leagues? Poeple have various reasons for cheering fot the team that they do. You grew up in MN so you cheer for the gophers. Some other MN kid could have had a parent that went to Notre Dame so they cheer for the Irish it's just that simple. It doesn't mean because they are from MN the only college football team the could possible cheer for is the gophers.

Kfan has talked about U of M sports for the past hour. Shut up. They will talk about the Gophers when the Gophers do something worth talking about.

And once again, it loops back to, we're not complaining about the amount of TIME they give the Gophers, more about the quality and knowledge they portray. It would be better for them to broadcast 15 minutes a day of informed UofM talk than two hours of uninformed.

I don't even know why I'm debating this, I've never even listened to KFAN and I live on the East Coast now.

Kfan has talked about U of M sports for the past hour. Shut up. They will talk about the Gophers when the Gophers do something worth talking about.

Thanks for the update Dan. By the way, if you happened to read any of this thread the discussion was about the quality of coverage K-suck provides, not the amount. Also, they seem to talk about the T-wolves a fair amount. Are they worth talking about?

You have to be kidding if you think that the U of M sports teams are more of an "institution" than the Viking or Twins. As you said in your post you were around before the 4 sports teams so you must be at least 60. I think this is part of why our opinions differ so much. Obviously people 60+ are gophers fans because that is all they had growing up. I'm only 29 and bleed purple. I love the Viking, Twins, and Wild. You need to realize the the times are changing. Maybe back in the 50's and 60's the gophers were the big team in outstate MN but not anymore. Have you been to a sports bar anywhere outside of the 494 loup lately? All the signs and posters in the bars are Vikings, Twins, and Wild. You never see any Maroon and Gold. I'm not saying people should hate the gophers, I'm just saying they care much more about the Vikings and Twins. This is another reason why the gopher hockey team just isn't and won't be what it used to be. Back in the day kids grew up dreaming about the gophers and only the gophers, but now they have many more teams to dream of playing for that you don't get those die hard gopher hockey guys anymore. Now you get a bunch of talented but lazy players that play for the gophers for the prestige of it and not for the love of the team.

#1. Let me start with saying there is no way from my post than you can assume that I am 'at least 60'. Do your math or check the dates.

#2. Yes the U of M is more of a state institution. First off it's been around since the 1800's it is owned by the citizens of the state. As someone else pointed out it affects our everyday life through the extension office and other departments, as ruralgopher pointed out. Sports fans cheered for the Gophers long before the pro teams. Some still cheer for the Gophers, some for the pro teams and some for both.

#3. I need to realize the times are changing?. I think I may have a little better handle on that since I have a better idea of what they are changing from. Remember; I've been your age, you've never been my age.

#4. As far as sports bars, well I have spent the vast majority of my adult life in the hospitality business so let's not even go there. As far as what teams have more support; anyone with an IQ above that of an average plant can tell the Vikes and Twins have the largest following, and to a smaller degree probably the Wild and maybe even the struggling T-Wolves(which as a hockey person you left out).

#5 Interesting the way you seem to get in you main interest-hockey. You obviously don't like the Gopher hockey team. Many people have debated whether MN is a basketball state or a hockey state. I've had this debate with numerous friends over the years and their comment always is that there are more MN hockey players on the college, national and international level than there are in basketball. My reply has always been; if that is the criteria then MN should be known as a curling state.

BTW you assume too many things.

CHEERS

EA-
I like the Vikes and Twins as much as the next person, but you don't think that the U is more of an institution than them??? Really? I'm all for building ballparks in the city and doing UnitedWay commercials and all but really, more of an institusion than the U?? Huh, I guess I would have to disagree, as the U is the institution that supports vasts amounts of medical research, business research, agricultural research, has been around since 1851, produces business and political leaders etc, etc.

"the problem is that you act as if someone doesn't cheer for the gophers they're an idiot.

No, we think that the arguments you are bringing forward make us think that you may be an idiot.

Big difference.

Oh and for Kris, in case you missed it in the 3500 other posts on this topic; ahem:

We're not complaining about the amount of coverage on KFAN, just the quality of the coverage.

It's Only February But an Early Qualifier

".. there are more MN hockey players on the college, national and international level than there are in basketball. My reply has always been; if that is the criteria then MN should be known as a curling state.

It's only February but that's going to be very hard to beat as line of the year!:clap::clap::clap:

EA-
I like the Vikes and Twins as much as the next person, but you don't think that the U is more of an institution than them??? Really? I'm all for building ballparks in the city and doing UnitedWay commercials and all but really, more of an institusion than the U?? Huh, I guess I would have to disagree, as the U is the institution that supports vasts amounts of medical research, business research, agricultural research, has been around since 1851, produces business and political leaders etc, etc.

We can disagree on the symantics of "institution" but once again this is a spots thread not a school thread. That's great that the U has been around since 1851 and they do research. So does SCSU 1869 and MSU Mankato 1867. I don't care about the U's research or Mankato's business department, I'm just talking sports.

Yep, you are just talking sports... and mixing DI, DII, and DIII all into the same bowl and calling it the same thing. Trust me, you are going to keep getting the same responses as long as you keep making the same points. Unless of course, that is what you are after. It comes across as a little troll-like to throw out super-off-the-wall comments and then keep hammering on them as your ONLY contribution to the given "community".

We can disagree on the symantics of "institution" but once again this is a spots thread not a school thread. That's great that the U has been around since 1851 and they do research. So does SCSU 1869 and MSU Mankato 1867. I don't care about the U's research or Mankato's business department, I'm just talking sports.

Ok, so I'm starting to lose your point. Is your point that KFAN should cover Mankato/UMD/SCSU sports more?

If so, let Mankato's flagship sports station broadcast for the landcows and SCCC be heard on St. Cloud's finest sports coverage station. Guarantee you wouldn't hear much UC coverage in Columbus, because Ohio State is there. And they both played in BCS games this year. Proximity, size, and relevance has a lot to do with what should and shouldn't be covered on local radio. UofM happens to be big, in the city, and relevant on a national scale moreso than any of the other institutions you mention.

Well if we are just talking sports, well then...
There still is absolutely no comparison between UofM athletic accomplishments and the Twins or Vikings. Without doing research I know that the Twins have 2 WS titles, the Vikes have no championships. The Gophers fball team has 6 nat'l titles, hockey I believe 5, Wrestling has some, and on and on. Sportswise, the U is more succesful than the Vikes and Twins too.

#1. Let me start with saying there is no way from my post than you can assume that I am 'at least 60'. Do your math or check the dates.

#2. Yes the U of M is more of a state institution. First off it's been around since the 1800's it is owned by the citizens of the state. As someone else pointed out it affects our everyday life through the extension office and other departments, as ruralgopher pointed out. Sports fans cheered for the Gophers long before the pro teams. Some still cheer for the Gophers, some for the pro teams and some for both.

#3. I need to realize the times are changing?. I think I may have a little better handle on that since I have a better idea of what they are changing from. Remember; I've been your age, you've never been my age.

#4. As far as sports bars, well I have spent the vast majority of my adult life in the hospitality business so let's not even go there. As far as what teams have more support; anyone with an IQ above that of an average plant can tell the Vikes and Twins have the largest following, and to a smaller degree probably the Wild and maybe even the struggling T-Wolves(which as a hockey person you left out).

#5 Interesting the way you seem to get in you main interest-hockey. You obviously don't like the Gopher hockey team. Many people have debated whether MN is a basketball state or a hockey state. I've had this debate with numerous friends over the years and their comment always is that there are more MN hockey players on the college, national and international level than there are in basketball. My reply has always been; if that is the criteria then MN should be known as a curling state.

BTW you assume too many things.

CHEERS

Let me respond is a calm analytical manner so you can rip me in the next post.

1.) You said that they were around before the pro teams, which the Twins and Vikings came in 1961, so for you to remember cheering on the gophers before the pro teams you would have to be bare minimum of 55. Sorry, I was a few years off, but that still would only make you 6 when the Vikes and Twins came, so more than likely you are 60+.

2.) Yes the U has been around since 1851 I believe, but SCSU was 1869 and Mankato was 1867. What does that matter. I think we are just arguing over the symantics of "institution", so not really worth arguing about.

3.) Don't even come at me with the "I'm older than you so therefore I know more than you" arguement. All I'm saying is that the culture with young people is changing and they cheer for the pro teams more because they have been around their whole life. That is all I was saying and being that I'm younger than you I believe I would be more informed on what younger people think according to your criteria. I understand that the U has deep roots and cheering on the gophers used to be huge, but you have to admit the pendulum is swinging to the pro teams.

4.) Your comments proved my point that people in rural areas care more about Vikings, etc. than the gophers. And yes I left out the Wolves because they aren't relevant. I used to be a big KG fan but don't really care about basketball much anymore.

5.) The only reason I bring up hockey is because it has the most D1 teams to compare the gophers to. By the way hockey is only my third favorite sport and I used to love the gophers growing up. Now if my team gets beat in the NCAA tourney then I cheer for the gophers if they move on. I just don't like what the gopher hockey team has turned into.

There I laid out my points with reasons behind my arguements, so go ahead and rip away. I have no problem with differing opinions, but please come at me with valid arguements. Not you suck, or you don't get it, and other valuable comments.

Yes, I get it they compete at a higher level in basketball and football. This isn't the problem that I have with you comments. My problem is that you act as if someone doesn't cheer for the gophers they're an idiot. Just because the gophers are in the Big Ten doesn't make them special it's just a higher league. Does that mean the people that cheer for the St. Paul Saints are idiots for not cheering for the Twins because the Twins are in the major leagues? Poeple have various reasons for cheering fot the team that they do. You grew up in MN so you cheer for the gophers. Some other MN kid could have had a parent that went to Notre Dame so they cheer for the Irish it's just that simple. It doesn't mean because they are from MN the only college football team the could possible cheer for is the gophers.

You misunderstood. You can follow whatever sport you want. I don't care. The foundation of your whole arument is flawed.

You're on a U of M fan board. One day last week this site had over 100,000 page views. To put things in perspective, that crushes most local content sites in this market. And this site does nothing to promote itself or advertise! The national circulation of the Star Tribune is only 300,000. In other words: this clearly isn't our problem. It's their problem. And they know it.

The point is: you can not be a fan of the Gophers all you want. Have fun. No one cares. But don't expect to not see a lot of us around the region or hear about Gopher sports in the media. There are just too many people who do care.

We're just claiming the coverage that is out there should be informative and not completely slanderous and negative all the time.

I wonder if fans in beckyland have this same discussion, I mean, since they have 12 other UW schools in their system, all with sports programs, plus Marquette in Basketball. A bunch of private schools with athletics, and not to mention that UW Whitewater football has played for the national championship, what 5 years in a row. UW doesn't have Baseball, so I'm sure all of madison should be edgewood fans. Being the State flagship institution should have no barring on it's populatity amongst non-alumni residents and should not effect the amount of attention it receives from the statewide media.

Not to mention that most of the population lives nowhere near madison. The State has a pro team that has won the Superbowl in the recent past, and they have the bucks and Brewers in Milwaukee, subsequantly where most of the population lives.......I don't understand why people inside the beltline just don't understand that the Badgers aren't that big of a deal to the rest of the state because most of the people in Wisconsin didn't go to Madison. I'm sure everybody in Oshkosh, Green Bay, Whitewater, Stout, La Crosse, River Falls, Eau Claire, Parkside, Stevens point, Superior, Milwaukee and Platteville is concerned that Badger fans have a Superiority complex over the Stout fans and get too much of the press Menomonie, and that Madison is in no way a more important institution than the others, I mean they have the same regents and I'm sure people all over the country and world for that matter recognize Stout on the same level as Madison. Also hasn't some of there D-3 hockey programs faired pretty well nationally lately. I just don't get it.

As a side note, one of my best friend played football for 4 years at stout, and i would be willing to bet he hasn't been to more than 1 or 2 games since he graduated more that 10 years ago, he has season tickets to the Badgers however. Weird

Sorry for the rant, I am extremely bored at work today

You misunderstood. You can follow whatever sport you want. I don't care. The foundation of your whole arument is flawed.

You're on a U of M fan board. One day last week this site had over 100,000 page views. To put things in perspective, that crushes most local content sites in this market. And this site does nothing to promote itself or advertise! The national circulation of the Star Tribune is only 300,000. In other words: this clearly isn't our problem. It's their problem. And they know it.

The point is: you can not be a fan of the Gophers all you want. Have fun. No one cares. But don't expect to not see a lot of us around the region or hear about Gopher sports in the media. There are just too many people who do care.

We're just claiming the coverage that is out there should be informative and not completely slanderous and negative all the time.

I can agree with most of this except you comparing 100,000 page views in a week to the weekly circulation of the Strib. 100,000 page views means that 10,000 people could have visited the site 10 times in a week whereas 300,000 for the Strib means 300,000 people actually bought the Strib. Not to rip this site, that is still a lot but it's still a weak comparison.

To your last comment I really don't feel that KFAN is slanderous which was what I first wanted to comment when I started this thread. They just state the facts when talking about gopher football. When Weber has that good game against Michigan State that said he played well as did the rest of the offense, but the defense was terrible. Was that not what happened? Then after that game Weber regressed badly. They aren't ripping Weber, they are just trying figure out if the coaching is the problem or if something is wrong with him. What is wrong with that? It seems like the coaches have hurt Weber and we'd like to see him play like he did last year, what is negative about that? We want him to get better, not hoping he gets worse.

"They just state the facts when talking about gopher football

No, they don't which is the main complaint around here, which you chose to ignore until now? When the number of responders are pettering out?

Hey, I apologize for saying you sound like an idiot. I didn't realize that you were trying to do that.

My mistake.

Thanks for the update Dan. By the way, if you happened to read any of this thread the discussion was about the quality of coverage K-suck provides, not the amount. Also, they seem to talk about the T-wolves a fair amount. Are they worth talking about?

Can anyone say 3 game winning streak?

Although they talk Gophs more than Wolves

I can agree with most of this except you comparing 100,000 page views in a week to the weekly circulation of the Strib. 100,000 page views means that 10,000 people could have visited the site 10 times in a week whereas 300,000 for the Strib means 300,000 people actually bought the Strib. Not to rip this site, that is still a lot but it's still a weak comparison.

To your last comment I really don't feel that KFAN is slanderous which was what I first wanted to comment when I started this thread. They just state the facts when talking about gopher football. When Weber has that good game against Michigan State that said he played well as did the rest of the offense, but the defense was terrible. Was that not what happened? Then after that game Weber regressed badly. They aren't ripping Weber, they are just trying figure out if the coaching is the problem or if something is wrong with him. What is wrong with that? It seems like the coaches have hurt Weber and we'd like to see him play like he did last year, what is negative about that? We want him to get better, not hoping he gets worse.

There's the thing; they don't. They mis-pronounce players names, don't know how many four-star recruits were in the class and got the team's conference ranking wrong. And those were the errors for just last week. There have been plenty of others. The only fact they consistently seem to use is that Gopher football hasn't won anything since 1961 or whatever and use it as justification to be sloppy in their reporting and statements regarding Gopher sports.

I don't understand why folks have such a hard time comprehending that it's not about negativity or amount of coverage, it's about being factually correct. If they were both, there wouldn't be a problem. But as has been shown many, many times, they aren't.

Top Bottom