A New Spin on the UofM KFAN feud.

EApokerking

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on why KFAN doesn't spend that much time on U of M sports. First, as mentioned before this is a pro sports town with four major pro sports teams that take up most of the time.

Next, my major reason why KFAN shouldn't spend more time with U of M sports is because not everyone went to the U of M! I grew up in outstate Minnesota and moved her after college and am now 30 and it always amazes my how many people in the cities just assumes everyone went to the U. It's obnoxious to say the least. Is ridiculous to think that we should spend all this time talking about gopher sports when probably only about 1/4 (if that) of the KFAN listening audience actually went to the U. Even in the twin cities there not even the majority of people go to the U. Think of all the people that go to St. Thomas, Augsburg, Macalester, Bethel, Northwestern, Concordia St. Paul, etc.... These numbers are way higher than the U, but you don't see them whining like you guys.

Just look at college hockey for instance. There are four other schools in division 1 hockey in the state besides the gophers but all they talk about is the U. If you add up the enrollments of St. Cloud State, UMD, Bemidji State, and MSU Mankato they are equal to the enrollment of the U of M. Funny but I don't hear any of you complaining about how they aren't breaking down UMD hockey and how they and St. Cloud are first in the WCHA right now. I figure KFAN spends about 2 hours a week talking gopher hockey, so to be fair they should spend that much time talking college hockey about the other Minnesota division 1 hockey schools, right?

You gopher fans just need to realize that in the big picture of sports in this state the U of M just isn't as important as you would like it to be. I would love to have Kevin Gorg break down St. Cloud State or UMD hockey on PA's show instead talking about Don Lucia and the under acheiving gophers, but even I realize that just isn't going to happen. KFAN does their best to fit in segments of gopher sports, but you just need to realize the gophers just aren't that important compared to the Viking and Twins.

Here are my thoughts on why KFAN doesn't spend that much time on U of M sports. First, as mentioned before this is a pro sports town with four major pro sports teams that take up most of the time.

Next, my major reason why KFAN shouldn't spend more time with U of M sports is because not everyone went to the U of M! I grew up in outstate Minnesota and moved her after college and am now 30 and it always amazes my how many people in the cities just assumes everyone went to the U. It's obnoxious to say the least. Is ridiculous to think that we should spend all this time talking about gopher sports when probably only about 1/4 (if that) of the KFAN listening audience actually went to the U. Even in the twin cities there not even the majority of people go to the U. Think of all the people that go to St. Thomas, Augsburg, Macalester, Bethel, Northwestern, Concordia St. Paul, etc.... These numbers are way higher than the U, but you don't see them whining like you guys.

Just look at college hockey for instance. There are four other schools in division 1 hockey in the state besides the gophers but all they talk about is the U. If you add up the enrollments of St. Cloud State, UMD, Bemidji State, and MSU Mankato they are equal to the enrollment of the U of M. Funny but I don't hear any of you complaining about how they aren't breaking down UMD hockey and how they and St. Cloud are first in the WCHA right now. I figure KFAN spends about 2 hours a week talking gopher hockey, so to be fair they should spend that much time talking college hockey about the other Minnesota division 1 hockey schools, right?

You gopher fans just need to realize that in the big picture of sports in this state the U of M just isn't as important as you would like it to be.

Yeah, except for being the only D-1 football and basketball team in the state. That, and you're talking about college hockey, which, in the big picture of sports in this state, just isn't as important as you would like it to be.

Yeah, except for being the only D-1 football and basketball team in the state. That, and you're talking about college hockey, which, in the big picture of sports in this state, just isn't as important as you would like it to be.

That is what I said! I realize D1 hockey shouldn't get that much time, but nobody complains about gophers getting all the college hockey attention when just as many people went to the other D1 college hockey schools.

As far as D1 football and basketball, why would they care that much about them when we have the Vikings and Timberwolves? Especially since both gopher football and basketball are mediocre to bad right now.

That is what I said! I realize D1 hockey shouldn't get that much time, but nobody complains about gophers getting all the college hockey attention when just as many people went to the other D1 college hockey schools.

As far as D1 football and basketball, why would they care that much about them when we have the Vikings and Timberwolves? Especially since both gopher football and basketball are mediocre to bad right now.

I'm not sure they should care enough to devote inordinate amounts of time to it, just enough to give factual information when they do decide to talk about it. Plus ... T'Wolves? LOL.

BTW, I know what zero coverage looks like -- Boston's sports media covering BC, that's zero coverage. Gophs get talk, it's just not usually well thought out or researched.

You gopher fans just need to realize that in the big picture of sports in this state the U of M just isn't as important as you would like it to be. I would love to have Kevin Gorg break down St. Cloud State or UMD hockey on PA's show instead talking about Don Lucia and the under acheiving gophers, but even I realize that just isn't going to happen. KFAN does their best to fit in segments of gopher sports, but you just need to realize the gophers just aren't that important compared to the Viking and Twins.

So what? Do you think that everyone who is a fan of OSU, PSU, and Mich went to those schools? No. AND we have a bigger enrollment than everyone but OSU, IIRC.

I grew up in outstate MN and I did NOT attend the UofM. I went to an MIAC school. If the Gophers ever play my alma mater in football, I will pull off the maroon and gold. But, if you grew up in outstate MN, SURELY, you understand that pretty much state wide EVERYONE identifies with the Gophers. The small exception to that is hockey but even with the other DI programs in the state, KFAN as a Twin Cities radio station would still of course focus on the only DI hockey program in the city.

Trying to compare interest between Gopher sports and St. Olaf is a waste of time.

I grew up in outstate MN and I did NOT attend the UofM. I went to an MIAC school. If the Gophers ever play my alma mater in football, I will pull off the maroon and gold. But, if you grew up in outstate MN, SURELY, you understand that pretty much state wide EVERYONE identifies with the Gophers. The small exception to that is hockey but even with the other DI programs in the state, KFAN as a Twin Cities radio station would still of course focus on the only DI hockey program in the city.

Trying to compare interest between Gopher sports and St. Olaf is a waste of time.

You are correct people in outstate MN "identify" with the U of M because it says Minnesota on their jersey, but that doesn't mean that they are fans. They watch the games because it is the only team that is shown on FSN. Most people in outstate MN will pay some attention to the gophers, but they are not really a fan of them. I'm sure if in central MN FSN showed St. Cloud State games they wouldn't care less about the gophers. Same for Northern MN with UMD or southern MN with Mankato. In fact most people in central MN could care less about the gopher football team because they cheer for St. John's. And why wouldn't they, they're much more succesful than the gophers.

So, yes you are partially correct, but they are only cheer for them because they are on TV. I grew up watching gopher hockey and cheering for them, but then went to college and now I cheer for my team and could care less about Jordan Schroeder even though I live in the twin cites.

Why can't we have both? I have no problem with KFAN or any other station giving time to other college programs in the state. Still I'd like to hear more about the Gophers.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mike Max, but he ( and Steve Thompson) does discuss other college programs within the state. I enjoy hearing those segments. It doesn't dilute my love for the Gophers.

jan_brady.jpg

Let me preface that my re-stating what has been said in many threads, dozens of times:

We're not complaining about the amount of coverage on KFAN, just the quality of the coverage. There, that feels better. I personally wish they wouldn't talk about the Gophers at all, rather than how they do now. I suspect that is a minority approach.

I grew up outstate, north of the Cities. My wife grew up in Southern Minnesota. The majority of our relatives grew up or still live outstate. Only a handful of us ever attended the U. Most went to private colleges or St. Cloud, UMD and Winona.

Nearly everybody are sports fans. Twins, Vikings and Gophers in that order. One guy is a Coach at a D-2 school. When people talk to him it's the only time non-University sports are brought-up. When the Gophers have a good year going in Football or basketball EVERYBODY talks about them.

It's nice when other D-1 programs in the state are doing well. I'd like to see St. Cloud, BSU, or UMD make a long tourney run this year.

The problem is, the few people that are fans of those programs seem to think that they are being "under covered" by Twin Cities media. They're not. :horse:

Most people don't care or want to hear about them. Much like any sport at the University except Men's Basketball and Football. College Hockey, unfortunately for their ferverent supportors is still rarely seen on most peoples TV screens down here. Lucia is probably happy for that.

I could say "get over it" but much like J Robinson, John Anderson and Pam Borton you wouldn't anyway. :banghead:

My annual GopherHole Unscientific Survey, which I'll be conducting in a few days, show that a majority of the subscribers to GopherHole did not graduate from the U. As an example, there were 171 respondents in last year's survey: 42.11% hold degrees from the U; Other colleges 43.86%; and No college 14.03%. Previous surveys reflected similar results. In each survey conducted, more GopherHole subscribers attended colleges other than the U.

By its title, I don't pretend that the survey is scientific, especially since it is voluntary and not a random sample. Nevertheless, many fans of Gopher athletics are graduates of other schools, grew up in outstate Minnesota or other states, and presently reside in a wide range of locales including outside the U.S. (A majority of the membership (56.73%) reside in the Metro area, however.).

My point, I contend there are more Gopher fans then many believe. In any case, the U, before the arrival of the Twins and Vikings, was the only game in town and was of major interest to the sporting fans in the state. It's share has been reduced, obviously, but it is passionate and IMO is not being adequately served by the local media, FWIW.

Go Gophers!!

You are correct people in outstate MN "identify" with the U of M because it says Minnesota on their jersey, but that doesn't mean that they are fans. They watch the games because it is the only team that is shown on FSN. Most people in outstate MN will pay some attention to the gophers, but they are not really a fan of them. I'm sure if in central MN FSN showed St. Cloud State games they wouldn't care less about the gophers. Same for Northern MN with UMD or southern MN with Mankato. In fact most people in central MN could care less about the gopher football team because they cheer for St. John's. And why wouldn't they, they're much more succesful than the gophers.

So, yes you are partially correct, but they are only cheer for them because they are on TV. I grew up watching gopher hockey and cheering for them, but then went to college and now I cheer for my team and could care less about Jordan Schroeder even though I live in the twin cites.

You of course have a survey to back up your claims, right? No, just speaking on behalf of an entire state? Plus, you're wrong.

I'm with Schnauzer - MIAC school (outside of metro area) and huge Gopher fan. Talking about WCHA schools is a minor, minor point. I know Bemidji State, UMD and SCSU fans that follow Gopher football and basketball as rabid fans. Your argument doesn't fly.

We both grew up in outstate MN. We seem to have completely different opinions of outstate backing of the maroon and gold. I can live with that. I'm just curious though, what is it about your experience that allows you to speak in such absolutes and declare that I am "partially correct"?

I started to type a response to your assertion of St. Johns football being more popular than Gopher football, and folks around Mankato with their passion for 'State' hockey (hey, I grew up very near Mankato yet somehow missed all these farm town Maverick hockey fans) but deleted it. I don't see a change of opinion in your future if you believe that stuff.

"Here are my thoughts on why KFAN doesn't spend that much time on U of M sports."

No thanks, you can have them back. Perhaps your USCS / St. John's faithful could use them.

Let me preface that my re-stating what has been said in many threads, dozens of times:

We're not complaining about the amount of coverage on KFAN, just the quality of the coverage.

Thank you for summing up the point of the conversation. Dear poker guy... please copy Iceland's sentence from above. Take it to a local FedEx Kinko's, ask the kid working there to make it "real big". Bring it home and put it on the wall next to your Derek Jeter or Jacoby Ellsbury fathead. Turn off the computer and read it say... 12,307 times. Commit it to memory. Repeat it in the shower, think about it over breakfast and then ponder it before your turn on the computer again. Trust me, you'll find it refreshing, like Snooki from Jersey Shore. Live it, learn it, love it. :D

We're not complaining about the amount of coverage on KFAN, just the quality of the coverage.

Exactly. To argue that Gopher fans want all sorts of media coverage on the team is simply building up a straw man that can easily be torn down. I could care less if the Gophers are discussed negatively in the media. With some of the things that have gone on the last 40 years how could they not be. All I ask is know what in the hell you are talking about. And if you think the U of M is too irrelevant for you to waste your time on research, then quit the cheap shots and don't talk about them.

To say that outstate isn't UofM territory is so rediculous it makes my head spin. Nearly everyone in outstate MN is Directly related to the UofM, regardless if they want to admit it or not. 4-H, FFA, the entire extension service including everything from major ag devolopments to grandma's gardening club. All directly from the U. Rural MN is a product of our land grant university and the roots out here run very, very deep. Rooting for the Gophers is a way to acknowledge how deeply impactful the U has been and continues to be.

Most of my friends I tailgate with didn't go to the U, but are Gopher season ticket holders. I know a fair amount of people that went to SCSU, Mankato, and Duluth that cheer for their schools in hockey, but love the Gopher football team.

My annual GopherHole Unscientific Survey, which I'll be conducting in a few days, show that a majority of the subscribers to GopherHole did not graduate from the U. As an example, there were 171 respondents in last year's survey: 42.11% hold degrees from the U; Other colleges 43.86%; and No college 14.03%. Previous surveys reflected similar results. In each survey conducted, more GopherHole subscribers attended colleges other than the U.

By its title, I don't pretend that the survey is scientific, especially since it is voluntary and not a random sample. Nevertheless, many fans of Gopher athletics are graduates of other schools, grew up in out state Minnesota or other states, and presently reside in a wide range of locales including outside the U.S. (A majority of the membership (56.73%) reside in the Metro area, however.).

My point, I contend there are more Gopher fans then many believe. In any case, the U, before the arrival of the Twins and Vikings, was the only game in town and was of major interest to the sporting fans in the state. It's share has been reduced, obviously, but it is passionate and IMO is not being adequately served by the local media, FWIW.

Go Gophers!!

This thread made me think of your survey so thanks for bringing it up and posting the results. Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1. The University of Minnesota and Gopher Sports are more of a state institution than the 4 pro sports teams, and for much longer I might add. I have a hard time understanding why some people(on both sides) think you have to be a student or alum of the U to be a Gopher fan.

2. I also grew up in out-state Mn, graduated from an out-state state college and have been a life long Gopher fan. I also remember the years before the Twins and Vikes and it was the only game in town(the Gophers were our team), just like it is in Lincoln and Columbus. Now there in competition for the sports dollar and fan base and I guess it's the old story that you have to win today to maintain a large fan base other than us die-hards. When the Gophers made the runs to the Final Four(M & W both) there were many fans on the bandwagon that weren't alums of the U.

3. Hockey; I think the recent addition of other D1 hockey schools in the state does have a carry-over affect on Gopher sports, how much I don't know. I know several 20-30 year olds that are hockey fans and grads of St.Cloud and Bemidji that consider the Gophers as the enemy and don't care for the Gophers. Like I said I don't know how many of these people there really are. Hockey fans are,um...well to be PC 'different'. The OPer seems to be a hockey fan and the one who is really whining.

4. Seems like we have Gophers fans complaining about Gopher fans all the while we are all hoping for a larger fan base. Next we have sports radio station lacking in ratings that also complains about Gopher fans. Makes perfect sense to me.

I guess that's more than a couple. Sorry.

Jackass of the year, next to that Iowa guy a month back.

Exactly!! :clap:

Exactly. To argue that Gopher fans want all sorts of media coverage on the team is simply building up a straw man that can easily be torn down. I could care less if the Gophers are discussed negatively in the media. With some of the things that have gone on the last 40 years how could they not be. All I ask is know what in the hell you are talking about. And if you think the U of M is too irrelevant for you to waste your time on research, then quit the cheap shots and don't talk about them.

+1

Wow, you guys need to slow your roll a little bit. I'm not nearly as bias as you think I am. Like I said for me personally (not everyone) and a lot of my friends cheered for the gophers growing up because it was a MN team and they were on TV. Just like when Winona St. was in the D2 National Championship a couple years ago I cheered for them for the same reasons. Then I grew up and went to a different school then the U and now only follow them from a distance. Obviously some people I grew up with still are fans of the gophers. I'm just throwing out the idea that not many people really care that much about the gophers. They only care when it comes to tournament time/bowl season.

I'm just trying to throw some ideas out there. As to someone's opinion that I need more facts, trust I wish there was a survey I could site, but I really doubt someone took the time to survey fan interest of MN schools in outstate MN.

OK, I get it that some of you don't care about the amount of exposure, but the type of exposure. What is the problem? Doesn't WCCO talk positive about the gophers? I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, I'm serious. Isn't WCCO who you should listen to on that? KFAN has made it's name for being objective and telling it like it is. What are they supposed to say about this years gopher football team. The started are pretty good and then dramitically regressed throughout the season. Weber went from a pretty good Big Ten QB to being terrible. The defense was improved and OK. The offensive coordinator merry-go-round needs to stop so the offense can build some consistency. What else can you say about the gophers? Those are the facts. I don't get it. They talk negative right now because things are negative in Dinkytown right now. Don't tell me that KFAN was negative about the gopher hockey team when they won the national championship. It just happens that a lot of negative things are happening right now including Tubby's team.

I'm not trying to start a fight I'm just stating that you guys are obviously big gopher fans and want to hear a great breakdown of gopher sports, but that probably isn't going to happen on KFAN. They are only going to talk about the major news stories and the games, and let's face it, there just hasn't not been much positivity lately. Sure I'd love the gophers to do better, but they aren't right now, so that's what people talk about.

Also, another quick note. If there really as many rabid gopher fans around as you say ther are why in the first year of TCF Bank stadium was there not a full stadium for football games? At the end of the season the stadium was not even close to full, so I don't know how many rapid gopher fans there really are. Face it, there are just a lot of fair weather gopher fans. It doesn't mean you have to be mad about it, just realized that your a niche fan.

To say that outstate isn't UofM territory is so rediculous it makes my head spin. Nearly everyone in outstate MN is Directly related to the UofM, regardless if they want to admit it or not. 4-H, FFA, the entire extension service including everything from major ag devolopments to grandma's gardening club. All directly from the U. Rural MN is a product of our land grant university and the roots out here run very, very deep. Rooting for the Gophers is a way to acknowledge how deeply impactful the U has been and continues to be.

I you are saying is that people like the University itself and a proud of it, but that has nothing to do with cheering for their sports teams.

I you are saying is that people like the University itself and a proud of it, but that has nothing to do with cheering for their sports teams.

Supporting the gophers is the easiest and most visable way a person can so their appreciation for what the U does for them in their evryday lives. To me, its about respect.

Except that those sports teams are an extension of that institution.

The media is foucsed on Gopher football. They're just clueless. And they have created a clueless populace. Part of the problem is that we live in a state that has to learn how to follow college football all over again.

KFAN hosts are urged to talk about the Gophers because market rersearch shows that Gopher football has a sizable following. It's not like the Vikings or Twins, but it's big. The problem is that they never have anything intellegent to say, so they usually just go negative.

If you think people chose to follow Makato State or St. Thomas or even NDSU instead of the U, you just don't get it either. Minnesota is in a different league.

This thread made me think of your survey so thanks for bringing it up and posting the results. Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1. The University of Minnesota and Gopher Sports are more of a state institution than the 4 pro sports teams, and for much longer I might add. I have a hard time understanding why some people(on both sides) think you have to be a student or alum of the U to be a Gopher fan.

2. I also grew up in out-state Mn, graduated from an out-state state college and have been a life long Gopher fan. I also remember the years before the Twins and Vikes and it was the only game in town(the Gophers were our team), just like it is in Lincoln and Columbus. Now there in competition for the sports dollar and fan base and I guess it's the old story that you have to win today to maintain a large fan base other than us die-hards. When the Gophers made the runs to the Final Four(M & W both) there were many fans on the bandwagon that weren't alums of the U.

3. Hockey; I think the recent addition of other D1 hockey schools in the state does have a carry-over affect on Gopher sports, how much I don't know. I know several 20-30 year olds that are hockey fans and grads of St.Cloud and Bemidji that consider the Gophers as the enemy and don't care for the Gophers. Like I said I don't know how many of these people there really are. Hockey fans are,um...well to be PC 'different'. The OPer seems to be a hockey fan and the one who is really whining.

4. Seems like we have Gophers fans complaining about Gopher fans all the while we are all hoping for a larger fan base. Next we have sports radio station lacking in ratings that also complains about Gopher fans. Makes perfect sense to me.

I guess that's more than a couple. Sorry.

You have to be kidding if you think that the U of M sports teams are more of an "institution" than the Viking or Twins. As you said in your post you were around before the 4 sports teams so you must be at least 60. I think this is part of why our opinions differ so much. Obviously people 60+ are gophers fans because that is all they had growing up. I'm only 29 and bleed purple. I love the Viking, Twins, and Wild. You need to realize the the times are changing. Maybe back in the 50's and 60's the gophers were the big team in outstate MN but not anymore. Have you been to a sports bar anywhere outside of the 494 loup lately? All the signs and posters in the bars are Vikings, Twins, and Wild. You never see any Maroon and Gold. I'm not saying people should hate the gophers, I'm just saying they care much more about the Vikings and Twins. This is another reason why the gopher hockey team just isn't and won't be what it used to be. Back in the day kids grew up dreaming about the gophers and only the gophers, but now they have many more teams to dream of playing for that you don't get those die hard gopher hockey guys anymore. Now you get a bunch of talented but lazy players that play for the gophers for the prestige of it and not for the love of the team.

Top Bottom