A challenge to the Kill haters

JerryKillFan

Reaction score
Laugh about Jerry Kill's looks or his orthodontics. And, you'll have a field day when you hear him speak if you're not used to a good southern accent.

But, look at his resume closely. Look at what's happened everywhere he's been. He's taken programs down in the dumps and made them winners (the third year his usually the breakout season). And, he still has devoted followings at all of his former schools.

If you can look past the petty and forget about all of the guys you wanted to hire (Leach, Hoke, etc.) you'll see Minnesota hired a pretty damn good football coach today.

Let me know when you find the negatives. There's only one - Jerry Kill isn't a sexy hire.

But, he will be successful.

Your screen name is absurd.

Like I told my uncle when he was ranting about hating this hire and how Maturi needed to be fired ASAP, "Hey, Kill is undefeated at TCF Bank Stadium. He beat our Gophers this year, so you already know he's a step above Brew."

I'm far from hating this hire. Just was holding out for Leach to come up here..

I'm not sure everyone is so down on Kill vs. very pissed off at Maturi.

Kill, unfortunately will suffer the wrath at Joel. I hope he'll overcome it, but Joel's made the job a lto harder given the last four years.

I'm not thrilled with Kill, but you make a valid point. There are about 500 anti-Kill threads on here but with all the rips against him there is next to nothing that is both factual and negative. Just emotional rants because he's not a flashy hire. Looking at utube videos of him, he's going to be a very different kind of guy who will be very interesting to follow.

Your screen name is absurd.

Like I told my uncle when he was ranting about hating this hire and how Maturi needed to be fired ASAP, "Hey, Kill is undefeated at TCF Bank Stadium. He beat our Gophers this year, so you already know he's a step above Brew."

I'm far from hating this hire. Just was holding out for Leach to come up here..

Why is my screen name absurd? In two years you'll want to buy it from me.:D

If Gray was a sophomore I would be thinking 2013 Big Ten title.

I did take a close look at his resume. In three years at NIU, he was 2-12 against teams with a winning record. He beat Temple and Toledo this year.

If you hire a third tier guy, don't you think we should get someone that has dominated at that level? 6-7, 7-6, and 10-3 in the MAC isn't all that impressive when you look at the teams they beat to get those other 21 wins.

I'm not thrilled with Kill, but you make a valid point. There are about 500 anti-Kill threads on here but with all the rips against him there is next to nothing that is both factual and negative. Just emotional rants because he's not a flashy hire. Looking at utube videos of him, he's going to be a very different kind of guy who will be very interesting to follow.

+1

He's a winning coach that wants to be here. Winning coaches who don't want to be here can stick it where the sun don't shine.

I did take a close look at his resume. In three years at NIU, he was 2-12 against teams with a winning record. He beat Temple and Toledo this year.

If you hire a third tier guy, don't you think we should get someone that has dominated at that level? 6-7, 7-6, and 10-3 in the MAC isn't all that impressive when you look at the teams they beat to get those other 21 wins.

Why are you looking solely at results?

Every place he has coached was in far better shape when he left than it was when he arrived. That's what has to be considered. Kill isn't exactly taking over at Ohio State here.

Kill is going to establish a foundation here over the first couple of years that will be in place for years to come. If I were you, I'd be thanking my lucky stars for a coach like that instead of the guys like Leach and Hoke who either have gimmick systems or are chasing the next paycheck.

Kill is going to establish a foundation here over the first couple of years that will be in place for years to come. If I were you, I'd be thanking my lucky stars for a coach like that instead of the guys like Leach and Hoke who either have gimmick systems or are chasing the next paycheck.

Well the money led him here. If he has a similar record here over his first 3 years as he did at NIU he will be a hot candidate for any available jobs and very well could follow the pay check.

Well the money led him here. If he has a similar record here over his first 3 years as he did at NIU he will be a hot candidate for any available jobs and very well could follow the pay check.

I can pretty much assure you money is not the reason Jerry Kill took this job.

He loves to make something of nothing. I'm sure some will take that as an insult but Kill relishes the challenge of doing something people say can't be done far more than the numbers on his paycheck.

+1

He's a winning coach that wants to be here. Winning coaches who don't want to be here can stick it where the sun don't shine.

+1 He has won everywhere he has been. He is real solid. He has paid his dues and deserves to be a Big 10 coach.

I think we have our very own football version of FoT in JerryKillFan.

FoT = Friend of Tubby

What the hell do you expect? They won 2 games in 2007. This is not the NFL where a team can go from being terrible to dominant in 2 or 3 years. He improved his program every year. His team has beaten a Big Ten team the past two seasons. They almost beat Tennessee in 2008, Wisconsin last year, and Illinois this year. All this at a school that had 14,000 fans at it's home game against Temple this year and averaged about 18,000 for the entire season.

He should be very successful in Kill's offensive system as long as the offensive line does its job.

Have we recruited any O linemen who are 3 or 4 star recruits? If not, then the hill is steeper to climb than a lot of people think.

FoT = Friend of Tubby

I think its one of the guys with "Brew" monikers, just with a new one for this new guy.

Either way, I'm glad he supports the new coach. We need more of that around here!

Cheers MrKillFan!!

Have we recruited any O linemen who are 3 or 4 star recruits? If not, then the hill is steeper to climb than a lot of people think.
Yes, we have actually.
2 three stars in 2009 (There was a couple more, one left, and one was a Juco recruit)
4 three stars, 1 four star in 2010
4 three stars so far this year, three of which are rock solid commitments

I'd recommend doing a little research before posting.

FoT = Friend of Tubby

I am not a friend of Jerry Kill.

I do know the man, though, and I witnessed first-hand his resurrection of the program at Southern Illinois. Now, some might chuckle at his work at a FCS school but when he arrived at SIU the school was on the verge of shutting down the program ... which was among the worst in the nation at any level.

He came in, told everyone he was going to work, and by the time he left SIU had the nation's second-longest playoff active playoff streak at that level. It didn't matter that he had substandard facilities (thanks to the work of Kill SIU opened a new 15,000-seat stadium this year and is now one of the top programs in FCS), and it didn't matter that Carbondale, IL was in the middle of nowhere.

I suspect Northern Illinois would have attained new heights in the next couple of years had he stayed there because his third year at any school has always been the breakout season. Again, his history of rebuilding programs speaks for itself.

Don't hate on one of the five people who graded this hire as an "A.":)

Kill seems like a solid coach and guy and probably would have been a good to great hire after Mason was fired, but this program is in need of an instantly recognizable name to stop the hemorrhaging of season ticket holders, avid tv watching fans and casual fans. Kill does little to no good at this time (until a season or two of winning) to prevent the hemorrhage.

I wasn't hating on you, I didn't mean anything negative about you by comparing you to FoT. Just seemed like you were talking about him from the standpoint of knowing him personally.

We are an F'ing Big Ten football team. The last MAC "star" Brady Hoke got a promotion to San Diego State. Jerry Kill has been a winner for all of 3 seasons in the MAC conference. Thanks to the work done by another poster I can tell you he has 2 (2!) wins in three years against teams that finished the year with a winning record...Jeff Horton has 1 (and a win over 6-6 Illinios) in 1/2 a year. My biggest concern with Kill is that he has no experience recruiting at this level, how are we going to get the talent? Other have commented on his appearance and I do think it is relevant to a point. That face of the program both for public speaking and for entering the homes of recruits has to be a concern on some level. I laughed when MV made fun of the Childress to Miami rumors and made a Child Molester/recruiting visit joke....it's not so funny now.

Yes, we have actually.
2 three stars in 2009 (There was a couple more, one left, and one was a Juco recruit)
4 three stars, 1 four star in 2010
4 three stars so far this year, three of which are rock solid commitments

I'd recommend doing a little research before posting.

Well, look at how well Brewster did with his 3 and 4 star recruits. I think the definition of 3, 4 or 5 stars has become more subjective in the Post-Brewster era light.

As far as research goes, I haven't the slightest where to look, nor had I been inclined thanks to Brewster's crunching the stars down on his recruits.

I wasn't hating on you, I didn't mean anything negative about you by comparing you to FoT. Just seemed like you were talking about him from the standpoint of knowing him personally.

No offense taken. I know this is an emotional day for many of you. You had expectations of one thing and wound up with another.

Just remember me fondly in a couple of years when all is well with Minnesota football.:)

Well, look at how well Brewster did with his 3 and 4 star recruits. I think the definition of 3, 4 or 5 stars has become more subjective in the Post-Brewster era light.

As far as research goes, I haven't the slightest where to look, nor had I been inclined thanks to Brewster's crunching the stars down on his recruits.
And honestly, the stars system is nice and all but it doesn't always do justice. I'm a big time Minnesota fan who grew up just over the border on the Wisconsin side. All of my friends are Badger fans (damn them). The Badgers grab these huge O-linemen who aren't highly rated and are one of the best offensive lines year in and year out. This just shows the stars system isn't always right and more than half of it is the actual coaching they receive when they get on campus.

Well said.

We are an F'ing Big Ten football team. The last MAC "star" Brady Hoke got a promotion to San Diego State. Jerry Kill has been a winner for all of 3 seasons in the MAC conference. Thanks to the work done by another poster I can tell you he has 2 (2!) wins in three years against teams that finished the year with a winning record...Jeff Horton has 1 (and a win over 6-6 Illinios) in 1/2 a year. My biggest concern with Kill is that he has no experience recruiting at this level, how are we going to get the talent? Other have commented on his appearance and I do think it is relevant to a point. That face of the program both for public speaking and for entering the homes of recruits has to be a concern on some level. I laughed when MV made fun of the Childress to Miami rumors and made a Child Molester/recruiting visit joke....it's not so funny now.

I am not so concerned about Kill's appearance as I am about the fact that he will have no drawing power with the type of recruits we will need to dig out of this hole. For those that think that everything will be okay because Kill is a no nonsense, hard worker, keep in mind that everyone at this level is a hard worker. It is those with real talent that are sucessful.

I am not so concerned about Kill's appearance as I am about the fact that he will have no drawing power with the type of recruits we will need to dig out of this hole. For those that think that everything will be okay because Kill is a no nonsense, hard worker, keep in mind that everyone at this level is a hard worker. It is those with real talent that are sucessful.

Only one thing for sure will help improve recruiting.... WINNING. GAMES.

I think he has a good track record of that, so don't make any baseless assumptions; we don't yet know how his success will translate in a major BCS conference.

Every place he has coached was in far better shape when he left than it was when he arrived. That's what has to be considered. Kill isn't exactly taking over at Ohio State here.

HA!!

Top Bottom