90s music

Who remembers The Legendary Jim Ruiz group? (local)

Who remembers The Sandwiches? (also local)

The Hang Ups were borderline big for a moment there. Their 1993 LP "He's After Me" is very listenable and worth owning. I recommend it. The track "Jump Start" appeared in the film Chasing Amy.

Their follow-up "So We Go" lacked the soul of their previous releases, and "Second Story" was fairly dismal by comparison, with an essentially remade band.

For Reality Bites I think the soundtrack holds up better than the movie itself. Here's The Juliana Hatfield 3 with Spin the Bottle

For Reality Bites I think the soundtrack holds up better than the movie itself. Here's The Juliana Hatfield 3 with Spin the Bottle

I agree. Movies like Singles and Reality Bites were pretty bad representations of the 90's imo but had the soundtracks..

I agree. Movies like Singles and Reality Bites were pretty bad representations of the 90's imo but had the soundtracks..
Reality Bites was kind of a shameless Gen X bait. The story meandered, and there were no big ideas...similar in that respect to This Is 40 but not entertaining like that movie was. The thing that stuck with me, though, was Ben Stiller's character: playing against type as a dim bulb but with a big heart.

Westerberg insists he's a pop singer-songwriter, and Dyslexic Heart makes good on that. I think of it as one of his best compositions.
I've always been quite fond of Dyslexic Heart, though it was rarely (ever?) played following the 14 Songs tour. I know I haven't seen him perform it since then.

At least I have gotten to see Waiting for Somebody this century. It killed at the Pantages '04 run and the Guthrie in '02. I am starting to wonder if Paul will ever come out of hiding.

1994's "This Perfect World" was Freedy Johnston's third full-length and had (I think) his biggest hit, "Bad Reputation." My favorite on the album, however, was "Evie's Tears," which I still think was one of the really beautiful songs of the year and, heck, decade. One day or evening I was shopping somewhere, maybe Kohl's, and it came on over the speaker. I was like, I thought I was the only person who even knew the song existed!

1994's "This Perfect World" was Freedy Johnston's third full-length and had (I think) his biggest hit, "Bad Reputation." My favorite on the album, however, was "Evie's Tears," which I still think was one of the really beautiful songs of the year and, heck, decade. One day or evening I was shopping somewhere, maybe Kohl's, and it came on over the speaker. I was like, I thought I was the only person who even knew the song existed!

I know it. I love that album.

Along with two (Siamese Dream & Nevermind) of my three (other being ST RATM) favorite albums of all time.....this was also produced by Butch Vig. I'm a fan of this album as well. Bad Reputation is a great song....which also happens to be featured in the very good movie, Kingpin.

Lemonheads, It's a Shame About Ray turns 30. I picked up the reissue over the weekend, but have not listened to it yet. Cool packaging.

In tribute of Grant Hart who would have turned 61 years old today, here's a Nova Mob rocker. At the 7th St Entry it felt everyone & everything were just ricocheting off the walls when they played this one. Good times.

Admiral of the Sea

They succeeded much better than Shackleton.

Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy under Uncle Tupelo released their first album in 1990. They announced their presence with authority on what would be the opening track on the debut album, No Depression.

Here is Graveyard Shift

Together, I only saw them once. Individually, I have seen them 81 times (combined) so they have certainly occupied my time like no other musical entity as well as finances. Well worth it, and still going. Strong.

Last edited:

I used to listen to Ras Bongo Jerry every Saturday morning on KMOJ, and I had to pull over to write down this track and band and went to pick up the CD later that day. I've never met a person who doesn't love this song:

Gonna cheat a little and give you two that were released mid 1989, but I probably didn't hear them until 1990...so close enough for me.

Buffalo Tom's Bill Janovitz getting help from Eddie Vedder and the guy who was the architect behind busting the Curses of both the Bambino & Billy Goat. Yeah, Theo Epstein.

From my runner up favorite album in the 90s by anyone, Let Me Come Over, here's Taillights Fade

No offense to Theo, but this is a better backing crew. Live from Fenway Park.

Buffalo Tom's Bill Janovitz getting help from Eddie Vedder and the guy who was the architect behind busting the Curses of both the Bambino & Billy Goat. Yeah, Theo Epstein.

From my runner up favorite album in the 90s by anyone, Let Me Come Over, here's Taillights Fade

No offense to Theo, but this is a better backing crew. Live from Fenway Park.

Love that album and was fortunate enough to see them at first Ave on that tour with Betty Servert opening. What a great night.

Love that album and was fortunate enough to see them at first Ave on that tour with Betty Servert opening. What a great night.
My ears are still ringing from Velvet Roof.

My ears are still ringing from Velvet Roof.
That was the last show at First Ave. where someone I knew ended up meeting their future marriage partner. I've been at three shows where that has happened. MIne was at a Cracker show. There was a Suburbs show soon after that and then this one.
I'm the only one still together with mine now that I think about it.

That was the last show at First Ave. where someone I knew ended up meeting their future marriage partner. I've been at three shows where that has happened. MIne was at a Cracker show. There was a Suburbs show soon after that and then this one.
I'm the only one still together with mine now that I think about it.
Pretty sure I was at the that same Cracker show, I know I saw them at least once at 1st Ave (as well as Camper Van).

Pretty sure I was at the that same Cracker show, I know I saw them at least once at 1st Ave (as well as Camper Van).
So...Counting Crows opened for Cracker back in 93 when I met my wife. 6-9 months later...Cracker was opening for the Counting Crows (94) when they came back through town.

Top Bottom