90s music

I saw them in like 94 and thought he wasn't into it. I truly think playing live is a chore and not a passion for him.
This doesn't look like a chore for him. Originally on the Gram Parsons tribute album, Return of the Grievous Angel. $1000 Wedding

Granted just one example.

Here he is earlier this year playing a Walgreens on Cape Cod. Shucks, it's the missing Confetti from last night.

This doesn't look like a chore for him. Originally on the Gram Parsons tribute album, Return of the Grievous Angel. $1000 Wedding

Here he is earlier this year playing a Walgreens on Cape Cod. Shucks, it's the missing Confetti from last night.

Maybe I will see Bob Mould at my local Walgreens!

Judging by this and his brief unplugged moment the other night and that nice song in the car, he should play Walgreens and cars from now on. His soul comes out in those vids.

Maybe I will see Bob Mould at my local Walgreens!

I did run into Bob at the CVS next to the Turf before one of shows a few years ago, but he did not break into Chartered Trips to my chagrin.

He loaded up on cold iced tea. One would think he could have had that added to his rider for the show?!?

Last edited:

Judging by this and his brief unplugged moment the other night and that nice song in the car, he should play Walgreens and cars from now on. His soul comes out in those vids.
Here's a full show 1 week earlier. I would rate our gig about a 7/10 this is 8.5 maybe a 9 based on the solo set at the end which includes covers by Lucinda, The Misfits & Elvis Costello.

He was into it, maybe better room, sound, more lucid or less moody. Probably a combo of all of it. Even though an I-phone recording, presumably, the vocals sound better than the Fine Line.

Also has Confetti and Being Around though Hannah & Gabi was cut.

Lots of '90s tunes, from Nashville:

One day walking up Chicago Ave to the HHH Dome in the early 2000s for a Twins game my buddy says to me, "Hey, I think that guy up there is Chris Mars!"

To which I replied, "Since the dude he's talking to is Slim Dunlap, I venture guess it actually is Chris Mars".

Popular Creeps

Unfortunately neither Paul nor Tommy were joining them as far as I could tell.

Last edited:

This song was my mantra all week leading up to the Axe game. Evan & Juliana's duo rendition of It's About Time.

Sunshine.

Here's Grant Hart. Not the artist, rather the song by The Posies, which is more than a novelty. Quite a catchy tribute.

Live version, hmmm looks like someone quite familiar from the Minneapolis scene on bass.

Ken Stringefellow's solo acoustic version which is much easier to parse out the lyrical references.

I say this without any shred of hyperbole, here is my favorite song of the 90s. Son Volt, Windfall.

One day walking up Chicago Ave to the HHH Dome in the early 2000s for a Twins game my buddy says to me, "Hey, I think that guy up there is Chris Mars!"

To which I replied, "Since the dude he's talking to is Slim Dunlap, I venture guess it actually is Chris Mars".

Popular Creeps

Unfortunately neither Paul nor Tommy were joining them as far as I could tell.

Never heard this song....but it basically rocks. Obviously pre-Presidents of the United States of America....but it reminds me of them. Specifically the song 'Some Postman' (not 90s) comes to mind.

Never heard this song....but it basically rocks. Obviously pre-Presidents of the United States of America....but it reminds me of them. Specifically the song 'Some Postman' (not 90s) comes to mind.

Some Postman is straight up awesome.

I don't think Tweedy has ever firmly said if this song is based on a specific rock hero, but he has dedicated to Paul Westerberg when playing it in the Twin Cities. Wilco with The Lonely 1

I say this without any shred of hyperbole, here is my favorite song of the 90s. Son Volt, Windfall.

I saw them at Riverfront Music Festival in St. Cloud in 1995ish? The rolled out looked like they were about 75 years old and on sedatives, with a steel guitar. A bit odd for a college music festival, I thought. Then they proceeded to belt out one song after the next that were great, with rock solid harmonies. Their first album was fantastic. A year before that the same music festival featured Material Issue and they were great as well, before the lead singer killed himself. A power trio that actually had well written songs, melody and harmony.

Last edited:

I have picked up the frequency ordering CDs (yes I still like buying full albums) online. 'Sparkle and Fade' by Everclear was one of the last ones I bought. Incredible that outside of a songs like 'Santa Monica'....this one slid under my radar. Great!!! album from start to finish.

Last edited:

I have picked up the frequency ordering CDs (yes I still like buying full albums) online. 'Sparkle and Fade' by Everclear was one of the last ones I bought. Incredible that outside of a songs like 'Santa Monica'....this one slid under my radar. Great!!! album from start to finish.

Everclear is awesome. Their first 4-5 albums were all fantastic.

I saw them at Riverfront Music Festival in St. Cloud in 1995ish? The rolled out looked like they were about 75 years old and on sedatives, with a steel guitar. A bit odd for a college music festival, I thought. Then they proceeded to belt out one song after the next that were great, with rock solid harmonies. Their first album was fantastic. A year before that the same music festival featured Material Issue and they were great as well, before the lead singer killed himself. A power trio that actually had well written songs, melody and harmony.
Those were always fun. Riverside is a great park.

I saw them at Riverfront Music Festival in St. Cloud in 1995ish? The rolled out looked like they were about 75 years old and on sedatives, with a steel guitar. A bit odd for a college music festival, I thought. Then they proceeded to belt out one song after the next that were great, with rock solid harmonies. Their first album was fantastic.
The Son Volt tour for Trace was fantastic. Farrar had recruited great local musicians for that album and tour, the Boquist brothers Dave (lead/fiddle) & Jim (bass) from Rosemount and Eric Heywood (pedal steel) who was living in either Hudson or River Falls. Also in the fold was the original drummer for Uncle Tupelo Mike Heidorn.

The set lists were virtually every song from Trace with a few call backs to his best songs from Uncle Tupelo. Never better. I was in LA, so I saw them at the Troubadour, one of my favorite shows by any artist of all time.

Here's a sample of Son Volt doing a Tupelo tune which is also from the 90s at First Ave. Video grainy, but sound is ok. They do look like 30 going on 70. Postcard From Hell

More cowbell? Drown

Hot off the youtube, Stephen Malkmus with Wilco filing in for Pavement last night. Cut Your Hair.

While technically released in 2000.....I'm still patiently awaiting the rerelease of Machina. Underappreciated Smashing Pumpkins album. Will include Machina II (also very good) plus a glut of other unreleased songs. Billy Corgan mentioned as many as *80* songs!!!

I hadn't listened to Nirvana's Nevermind in quite a while. Several years perhaps. I did spin it a few over the weekend, having just bought the 30th Anniversary reissue. Yeah, still pretty good. If pushed, I would say this is my favorite track, never get tired of it. Lithium.

Last edited:

Breed and Stay Away for me, but turning it on and just listening straight through is the still the best choice.

I hadn't listened to Nirvana's Nevermind in quite a while. Several years perhaps. I did spin it a few over the weekend, having just bought the 30th Anniversary reissue. Yeah, still pretty good. If pushed, I would say this is my favorite track, never get tired of it. Lithium.

I'm with Lithium too. But the whole album is great all the way through.

I'm with Lithium too. But the whole album is great all the way through.

I guess my new found takeaway is I love how the whole album is sonic furry and then wrapped up by an acoustic gem, Something in the Way.

That's not including the hidden jam track, which I didn't recall being on the original.

Last edited:

I guess my new found takeaway is I love how the whole album is sonic furry and then wrapped up by an acoustic gem, Something in the Way.

That's not including the hidden jam track, which I didn't recall being on the original.

Nevermind and Siamese Dream are two of my favorite albums of all time. Both produced by Butch Vig.

Nevermind and Siamese Dream are two of my favorite albums of all time. Both produced by Butch Vig.
Butch Vig had an unbelievable decade in the 90s as a producer of such revered albums in the first part. Quite a great chapter later as an artist himself with Garbage. Here he is at the kit with Vow.

Apparently cursing is allowed on German television, at least in English.

Vow

Last edited:

When it comes to contemporary Beatles-esque pop, nothing sounds as good to me as The Apples in Stereo. The first album of theirs I bought was Her Wallpaper Reverie, which I was surprised to find was their least well-reviewed album. It's my favorite of theirs. Most negative reviews focused on the unconventional album structure, particularly the various interludes, which I found to be great. In fact, I was disappointed that their other records weren't the same way.

This song belongs on some movie soundtrack. It's so beautiful and evocative and would so well fit a romantic scene with a melancholy undertone.

Top Bottom