90s music

Produced by Butch Vig, I believe
He is founding member/drummer, but the producing credits are shared by the entire band. Amazing that the group still has all 4 original members.

They have a new album out, that I am anxious to give a spin.

Fun fact, Garbage's first live performance was at the 7th St Entry back in November 1995. Had a chance to go, but I moved to LA a month earlier. A friend of mine went, said Shirley Manson knocked his socks off.

Last edited:

Produced by Butch Vig, I believe

Well...he's their drummer. More importantly....he produced two of the three best albums of all time (imo) in Nevermind (Nirvana) and Siamese Dream (Smashing Pumpkins). The other is the self-titled Rage Against The Machine album.

Well...he's their drummer. More importantly....he produced two of the three best albums of all time (imo) in Nevermind (Nirvana) and Siamese Dream (Smashing Pumpkins). The other is the self-titled Rage Against The Machine album.
If you haven't seen it, this has been making the rounds on Twitter and it wonderfully encapsulates the experience of first hearing RATM:

Fall of 1995, I was driving on the 210 in the LA area, in or near Irwindale, a city of less than 2000 residents. It's known for having a Miller Brewery, a failed attempt to land the Raiders, and tons of gravel pits.

I was listening to World Famous KROQ when they announced that the Smashing Pumpkins were looking for extras for a video shoot that afternoon. The instructions were bring a change of clothes and be prepared to get filthy. A short set by the band was also promised. I lived near by, so I thought about it but ultimately passed. Mellon Collie had not even been released yet, but on the heels of Siamese Dream, anticipation was huge.

Here it is, filmed in an aforementioned Irwindale gravel pit, Bullet With Butterfly Wings

Oh, what might have been...

Last edited:

If you haven't seen it, this has been making the rounds on Twitter and it wonderfully encapsulates the experience of first hearing RATM:
That was one of the best things I’ve ever seen. He has another with Radiohead’s Creep that is equally great.

Steve Earle has definitely dropped a few lbs since this performance along with a lot of hair follicles. Here's N.Y.C.

Mike McCready looks like his mom dropped him off at this Mad Season gig, but it's no doubt one of his greatest guitar riffs. River of Deceit

The group of Seattle musicians actually had a strong Minnesota connection. McCready met bass player John Baker Saunders while in rehab at Hazelden. They kept in touch when they got back home, and Layne Staley was recruited for lead vocal. Sadly both Saunders & Staley would eventually OD.

Last edited:

Pearl Jam Day. 30th Anniversary today for Ten and 25th for No Code.

Ten didn't really hit me up until their SNL performance the following April. Here's my favorite song live. Release

No Code I didn't fully appreciate for probably a dozen years. Favorite song live Hail Hail.

Last edited:

rage is one of the most overrated bands of the 90s. driven by 105 iq midwits who thought they were doing politics when the whole scene was proto-virtue signaling.

korn was the superior band.

Paul Westerberg demonstrates the acoustic attributes of a hotel bathroom. Whatever Makes You Happy

This may have already been posted, but Cannonball (which popped up on random play for me tonight) was just a great burst of freshness back in those days and still sounds great:

Primus always reminds me of tripping in a frat house watching this college band that played alot of Primus covers. My roommate was passed out on their kitchen counter with a huge smile on his face and the Frats Coat of Arms is seared in my brain...
Good times.
😎

Finally bit the bullet and paid the $30+ on ebay that Fantastic Planet runs because of how scarce the CD is. One of the most underrated albums of all time, imo. If anyone is 'A Perfect Circle' fan, they covered (the excellent) 'The Nurse Who Loved Me' on 'Thirteenth Step'....which is another great album. 'Stuck on You' is probably the more recognizable 'Failure' song, however.

In another thread about #10, I was reminded of the local band "Detroit". They built a really solid following playing their unique brand of glam/power pop-punk. They could routinely pack the 400 Bar or Lee's Liquor Lounge, where I think this video was taken.

A stirring rendition of their crowd favorite, Fran Tarkenton:

rage is one of the most overrated bands of the 90s. driven by 105 iq midwits who thought they were doing politics when the whole scene was proto-virtue signaling.

korn was the superior band.

This is just all around wrong.

It's hard to mention 90's music....and forget Ace of Base.

Music, Grassroots, & 311 are all solid. After that I lost interest.

I forgot how great Grassroots was. Probably their best album next to Soundsystem. But if you haven't listened to any of their newer stuff....311 has quietly been putting out some really solid stuff. Five of Everything, Ebb and Flow, Sand Dollars, Perfect Mistake, Hey Yo, Too Much to Think, Born to Live, Don't You Worry, etc.

Finally bit the bullet and paid the $30+ on ebay that Fantastic Planet runs because of how scarce the CD is. One of the most underrated albums of all time, imo. If anyone is 'A Perfect Circle' fan, they covered (the excellent) 'The Nurse Who Loved Me' on 'Thirteenth Step'....which is another great album. 'Stuck on You' is probably the more recognizable 'Failure' song, however.

Don't know why I hadn't bought their earlier albums....but I finally did.....and Failure was great even before 'Fantastic Planet'.

Completely forgot about this. Enjoy. Hopefully, Evan is in a trying mood.
Ope, I'd like to hear what your thoughts were, but I have to be honest: I thought the performance was uninspired, half hearted, and half baked. Great songs executed competently, but it wasn't what I'd call a great show. A rapid-fire series of songs lacking pacing. He packed a lot of songs into a relatively short set, but I'm not sure that's the object with a concert.

Just a three-piece band, which minimally does the job for most of their catalogue, but you need more guitars to pull some of these songs off in full. Heck, ideally you'd want a pedal steel guitar for Big Gay Heart.

Either the mix wasn't right or Dando wasn't singing well into the microphone. One way or another, his vocals were muddled. It was only once he unplugged at the end and walked to the edge of the stage and sang to the ladies in front without amplification that I could actually hear his voice clearly, and it sounded good. Not sure where the problem was: him, the equipment, or the mix. (Incidentally, a similar issue when my wife and I saw The Monkees a week ago in Milwaukee. I'd read reviews of previous shows that complained of understated vocals in the mix, and that's what we heard in Milwaukee: not loud enough vocals.) In contrast, the kick drum and bass had way too much punch.

I saw The Lemonheads upwards of 20 years ago at First Avenue, and it was a completely different experience: bigger band, better sound, better pacing. That was my hope for this show, so I guess I'm moderately disappointed.

Ope, I'd like to hear what your thoughts were, but I have to be honest: I thought the performance was uninspired, half hearted, and half baked. Great songs executed competently, but it wasn't what I'd call a great show. A rapid-fire series of songs lacking pacing. He packed a lot of songs into a relatively short set, but I'm not sure that's the object with a concert.

Just a three-piece band, which minimally does the job for most of their catalogue, but you need more guitars to pull some of these songs off in full. Heck, ideally you'd want a pedal steel guitar for Big Gay Heart.

Either the mix wasn't right or Dando wasn't singing well into the microphone. One way or another, his vocals were muddled. It was only once he unplugged at the end and walked to the edge of the stage and sang to the ladies in front without amplification that I could actually hear his voice clearly, and it sounded good. Not sure where the problem was: him, the equipment, or the mix. (Incidentally, a similar issue when my wife and I saw The Monkees a week ago in Milwaukee. I'd read reviews of previous shows that complained of understated vocals in the mix, and that's what we heard in Milwaukee: not loud enough vocals.) In contrast, the kick drum and bass had way too much punch.

I saw The Lemonheads upwards of 20 years ago at First Avenue, and it was a completely different experience: bigger band, better sound, better pacing. That was my hope for this show, so I guess I'm moderately disappointed.

Just posted overall thoughts in the other thread, but I agree on the vocals. I thought maybe I wasn't hearing them because I was too close. I don't mind the stripped down 3 piece, though it is noticeable on Big Gay Heart without the the pedal steel.

I've also liked it better when there is a female to sing the Juliana Hatfield parts, especially when it's actually Juliana.

Just posted overall thoughts in the other thread, but I agree on the vocals. I thought maybe I wasn't hearing them because I was too close. I don't mind the stripped down 3 piece, though it is noticeable on Big Gay Heart without the the pedal steel.

I've also liked it better when there is a female to sing the Juliana Hatfield parts, especially when it's actually Juliana.
Yeah, I was curious how/if they'd handle the Belinda Carlisle part in "I'll Do It Anyway," but crisis averted: they didn't play it.

I saw them in like 94 and thought he wasn't into it. I truly think playing live is a chore and not a passion for him.

Top Bottom