9-2, 5-2 should be expected

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Gonna look nice with that record. My question is why do most think there is not way MN can compete with Wisconsin in a couple weeks? Wisconsin has 2 losses, and is ranked in the high teens. MN is 25th and at home. This is the kind of game MN needs to expect to win. Going on record here my prediction is 28-24 MN.

Gonna look nice with that record. My question is why do most think there is not way MN can compete with Wisconsin in a couple weeks? Wisconsin has 2 losses, and is ranked in the high teens. MN is 25th and at home. This is the kind of game MN needs to expect to win. Going on record here my prediction is 28-24 MN.

Going by record alone is foolish. Who did the teams play previously? How have they looked in defeat and in victory? What are the relative strengths and weaknesses and how do those line up vis-a-vis the opponent?

Other than being at home and having the same record most here recognizes that Becky has many advantages and few disadvantages over the Gophers.

You can't 'expect to win' this game yet, it's premature for where our program is. We may/can get there eventually but it would be wise to temper some emotion for the time being. Not trying to necessarily quell your excitement but shelter you from potential disappointment.

I don't think it is impossible by any means. It will just be the toughest game so far in my opinion. Our running defense hasn't been great and we know what Wisconsin does very well. I certainly expect us to put up a fight and be there at the end, but we'll see.

i am usually one of the more optimistic gopher fans, i predicted 8-9 wins at the beginning of the season but i personally don't think we have that good of a shot because it is a bad matchup for us, their defense matches up well against the power run and has a very stout rush defense, our defense struggles to stop the power run or just the run in general and is much better against the pass, i absolutely believe that we are capable of beating a team of wisconsin's caliber but this is just a bad matchup, same goes for MSU, although MSU doesn't run the ball quite like wiscy, would you guys compare MSU's offense to penn state's? we held penn state to 10 points but we got a few breaks(fumbling on the 1 yardline, fumbling on the first possession, etc.) i'd say if both teams score 14 or less then we have a good shot at winning that game but it is still a bad matchup since they are even more stout against the run wiscy, i think if we get a team like Georgia, Oklahoma state, texas tech then we will have a good shot to win our bowl game

Badgers have an insane run game. Gophers have a hard time stopping the run. That doesn't matchup well for the Gophers. But who knows, maybe the significance of the game alone pushes the Gophers through and we could end up winning! I certainly am looking forward to watching how the game plays out, because it could go several different ways.

With any rivalry game you can throw out the record. There is a buildup to this game. Basement Brew even came close to beating the skunks. Every team has flaws. Who knows about the weather. Wisconsin may have injuries this week against Indiana. It will be a close game. Because this year has been so unpredictable I feel something big breaks our way during the game. Something that would usually happen against us.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess since we have 2 weeks to prepare for this game Clayes, Kill and Limegrover will find a way or two to exploit any weakness that they can find against the badgers, they are very good tacticians

Pass blocking and Nelson are key. If both keep their positive trajectory we have a chance. We have to click through the air to beat these guys. A turnover or two by Gordon, et al certainly would help.

I think this is all on our defense.

UWs defense shut down a potent BYU attack and made their somewhat studly QB look very below average. Their offense has shown a propensity to stall when facing some of their tougher opponents (though for some reason it doesn't really reflect in their final score totals against OSU, ASU and Iowa).

Our defense needs to be lights out, we'll need to win a low scoring game to have a chance. Low scoring game plus winning the TO margin would go a long ways.

I think this actually comes down to how well we pass. If we can pass, we will score. Wisconsin will get rushing TD's, the question will be how many. Wisconsin's DB's aren't as good as DL and LB so there is our opening. If we are successful in the air, it may open up some running and burn some time off the clock. I think we score 30, we just have to limit the run. Minn reclaims the axe 31 - 28.

I think this actually comes down to how well we pass. If we can pass, we will score. Wisconsin will get rushing TD's, the question will be how many. Wisconsin's DB's aren't as good as DL and LB so there is our opening. If we are successful in the air, it may open up some running and burn some time off the clock. I think we score 30, we just have to limit the run. Minn reclaims the axe 31 - 28.

They're the 12th ranked pass defense in the country and that's after playing pretty good passing teams like BYU, OSU and ASU. Hate to keep defending them but let's get our facts straight.

i am usually one of the more optimistic gopher fans, i predicted 8-9 wins at the beginning of the season but i personally don't think we have that good of a shot because it is a bad matchup for us, their defense matches up well against the power run and has a very stout rush defense, our defense struggles to stop the power run or just the run in general and is much better against the pass, i absolutely believe that we are capable of beating a team of wisconsin's caliber but this is just a bad matchup, same goes for MSU, although MSU doesn't run the ball quite like wiscy, would you guys compare MSU's offense to penn state's? we held penn state to 10 points but we got a few breaks(fumbling on the 1 yardline, fumbling on the first possession, etc.) i'd say if both teams score 14 or less then we have a good shot at winning that game but it is still a bad matchup since they are even more stout against the run wiscy, i think if we get a team like Georgia, Oklahoma state, texas tech then we will have a good shot to win our bowl game

Not sure we can score 14 on Michigan St. That's like 35 against anyone else. And 62 against Indiana.

We lose this game 95 times out of 100 played at TCF and 99 out of 100 in Madison. This year. Next year we should be better as our lines mature. I see 2015 as a legitimate shot at being favored at home against Becky and keeping the Axe after we steal a game from them in 2014 on our way to our Cinderella run to the Rose Bowl!

I would love to see a win - that'd be the cherry on top of a great season for me. But really, I'd be happy with not getting depantsed.

They're the 12th ranked pass defense in the country and that's after playing pretty good passing teams like BYU, OSU and ASU. Hate to keep defending them but let's get our facts straight.

I think thats why he's saying if we can pass the ball we have a good shot. Being able to pass the ball should at least give a Cobb a little more room to run. I think finding the tight ends on key plays on long drives has been working for the Gophers and to have a shot this needs to continue against Wisky.

I think thats why he's saying if we can pass the ball we have a good shot. Being able to pass the ball should at least give a Cobb a little more room to run. I think finding the tight ends on key plays on long drives has been working for the Gophers and to have a shot this needs to continue against Wisky.

That's fine, they're also the 8th ranked run defense.

You might as well say 'if we can recruit Peyton Manning we should utilize the pass to really soften up their defense". Listen, I'm so happy for what we've accomplished but outside of them really not firing on ANY cylinders and coughing up a bunch of points to us we'll need to get lucky, have them turn it over and they score next to nothing and then we convert on some short field position.

Based on numbers, we don't line up with them. Adjusted computer rankings (those that aren't allowed in the BCS due to not allowing scoring margin, etc. which are better indicators) have them ranked in the top 10 in the country. These teams aren't as close as their published rankings appear. We'll need to get very, very fortunate.

I agree that on record and rank alone it looks like more of a toss up. The Badgers are bad matchup for us though. I went on record predicting a gopher win, but that was with my heart, not my brain.

I almost think we've got a better shot at MSU if it stays a low scoring game.

If we get or can force a couple of turnovers, who knows? It will take our best game, which many have said we have not had yet.

That's fine, they're also the 8th ranked run defense.

You might as well say 'if we can recruit Peyton Manning we should utilize the pass to really soften up their defense". Listen, I'm so happy for what we've accomplished but outside of them really not firing on ANY cylinders and coughing up a bunch of points to us we'll need to get lucky, have them turn it over and they score next to nothing and then we convert on some short field position.

Based on numbers, we don't line up with them. Adjusted computer rankings (those that aren't allowed in the BCS due to not allowing scoring margin, etc. which are better indicators) have them ranked in the top 10 in the country. These teams aren't as close as their published rankings appear. We'll need to get very, very fortunate.

I will argue we have been quite fortunate the past two weeks. I mean maybe the tide is finally turning on this whole "luck" thing. Who knows if it could happen again!

Maybe I'm just delusional though?

I agree that on record and rank alone it looks like more of a toss up. The Badgers are bad matchup for us though. I went on record predicting a gopher win, but that was with my heart, not my brain.

I almost think we've got a better shot at MSU if it stays a low scoring game.

We absolutely have a better chance against MSU. While their offense seems to be improving they still don't stack up to Becky offensively. Their defense is better but the incremental difference between the two leads me to believe Becky is better. Plus, if MSU shuts down our offense we have a better chance of shutting down their offense than we do Becky's and scoring on a defensive/special teams TD to steal a win.

If we want to get our facts straight, we may want to define what a "pretty good passing team" is. BYU is currently 55th in the nation in passing. Is that "pretty good"?

And ever since we changed our offensive attack and over the last 4 games, we are looking pretty strong in the B1G in the passing department. My point.

Their run game scares me but their defense while solid shouldn't scare us. We have a legit B1G offense that should be able to put up some points. I think Gordon is the most dynamic runner in college football that makes me nervous.

On paper, the Gophers are an underdog to WI. But, four weeks ago, there were a lot of people predicting the Gophers would not win a game in the B1G. So, I am not going to dismiss the chances of this team to pull off an upset. They might just have 1 more surprise this season.

Besides, the Victory Bell is going to be lonely in the Trophy room. The Gophs need to get it some company.

We lose this game 95 times out of 100 played at TCF and 99 out of 100 in Madison. This year. Next year we should be better as our lines mature. I see 2015 as a legitimate shot at being favored at home against Becky and keeping the Axe after we steal a game from them in 2014 on our way to our Cinderella run to the Rose Bowl!

I do not disagree. Those five wins have to show up sometime. November 23 only requires one of those five wins. SO YES, I am saying there is a chance!

As a Badger fan you should be able to answer your own question better than most on here. Interesting that you would start a thread like this.

Some of you guys still think the Gophers are just a bad team that's getting lucky. Wake up! This is a good team, and they can compete.

I'm not saying they'll win, but my gosh, the lack of imagination when it comes to the Gophers is surprising.

Expected probably is not the right word. Wisconsin and MSU are the best two teams in the Big Ten behind OSU. There is a large gap between the top three and everyone else. With that said.....I could see us pulling off an upset. This team has major potential, and both the offense and defense have been getting better every week. The defense was prone to giving up the big plays earlier on in the season. Hasn't been that way recently. If we can find a way to shut down the Wisconsin and MSU running game......we'll have a good shot to win either.

As a Badger fan you should be able to answer your own question better than most on here. Interesting that you would start a thread like this.

Why is it interesting? Goths should expect to win a home game in November against a top 20ish team with the realistic chance of a Jan. 1 bowl game on the line. Just my opinion...

Top Bottom