3 Reasons Michigan State Will Upset Minnesota in Week 4

We've a veteran team that has bought into the coach and his culture. Despite having played 3 home games against weak competition the moment will not be too big for the team in East Lansing.

We might very well lose but it won't be because of the schedule, IMHO.

Not sure I would be as quick as this writer is to say the MSU has one of the best Run defenses in the country. They haven't faced a team anywhere close to us in terms of ability to run the football yet this year.

Heck, their 89 yards allowed per game is like 7th in the conference through the non-conf season and again, they haven't played a good rushing team. That said, Western Michigan rolled up over 175 yards on the ground against them but lost a bunch of those yards due to the 7 sacks they gave up which count against the QBs rushing stats in college.

MSU may absolutely win this game but this writer's reasons for why they might are shakey at best.
Their run D looked pretty stout against WMU, but frankly, I'm not sure you need to run the ball against this team.

Their run D looked pretty stout against WMU, but frankly, I'm not sure you need to run the ball against this team.
I have zero doubt in my mind that this will be the best defensive front we have seen so far this year. I'm just not sold that their run D is as strong as it is being billed to be by some. When MSU stacks the box it will be incumbent on Morgan and the WR to take advantage of what should be there in the secondary.

Hopes...? Sure, although I'm fairly certain it is more of a must, this week. He's the one receiver that might be a reliable difference maker. I'll be more than happy to be wrong if Clay Geary goes off for 10/200 or Dylan or Daniel do it... but I think that BSF is the one to put my money on, were I a betting man.

Coming out party... as in being celebrated by national media, and not just on Gopherhole Forum. When the college football world knows how to spell his name, then he's had his coming out party.

Being the leading receiver for the Gophers these days (and only #1 because the actual leader is out for the season) is kinda like being the prettiest waitress over at Applebee's.
Well, you're right. Spann-Ford just hasn't called his own number in the huddle enough to make any difference. Did you marry a waitress from Applebee's by chance?

Just to be clear, that stat was for red zone defense...not offense. But ya, our defense has kept opposing offenses out of the red zone quite well this year. According to NCAA FBS stats, Gopher opponents have two red zone attempts, both successful - one garbage TD against Colorado, and a FG. However, I don't know what field goal they're talking about...wasn't Western Illinois' FG a 47-yarder?

It's like the writer of the article just went searching for some category where Minnesota ranked near the bottom of the list and took off with it.

Anyway, here's a link to the stats page...
Thanks, @FredCoxRocks.

Top Bottom