3 game losing streak

An ugly loss from nowhere to Purdue is practically a required course for any team to have a big season.

It didn’t keep MSU from a NY6 bowl last year.
It didn’t keep Ohio State from the Rose Bowl in 2018.
Iowa choked against them last year but still won the West, 10 games, and Floyd.

The season ain’t over. Purdue’s famous for pulling this stuff but the margin for error just got very slim.
With the Purdue loss we are an obvious lock for the Rose Bowl.

Lotta awful takes in this thread.
Honestly losing the next two is possible.

Probably about a 25% chance.
Probably about equal chance of winning 2.
Probably the safest bet is some sort of split

Purdue not as bad as people think. Potts is not Mo as much as people think we can just roll out there with whoever at running back. Dont have our best wide receiver either. Gotta catch ball at end of half. Bottom line is were a pretty good football team, but not as good as everyone thinks without our best wide receiver and running back. Purdue can play with us all day long without those 2 playing.

Did Gophs score in the fourth quarter?
Two questions I’d like an answer too, and honestly, I’m just too damn lazy to do the research.

1. How many times has Morgan led the team on a game winning 4th quarter drive in his career?
2. How many times has he had that opportunity?

Two questions I’d like an answer too, and honestly, I’m just too damn lazy to do the research.

1. How many times has Morgan led the team on a game winning 4th quarter drive in his career?

Are we drawing comparisons here? If so, with whom?

Are we drawing comparisons here? If so, with whom?
No, I’m not drawing comparisons to any other QB in particular, I’m just asking the questions. As I said in another thread, Morgan is not the reason we lost the game Saturday. But someone responded and made the comment that, while he didn’t lose it, he basically didn’t do anything to win it either….or something along those lines. The comment just got me thinking that’s all. Now, without Mo and Crab it’s going to be harder for Morgan, and the rest of the offense to perform as normal, but it did get me to thinking. Has Morgan ever led this team on a winning drive when it counted?

No, I’m not drawing comparisons to any other QB in particular, I’m just asking the questions. As I said in another thread, Morgan is not the reason we lost the game Saturday. But someone responded and made the comment that, while he didn’t lose it, he basically didn’t do anything to win it either….or something along those lines. The comment just got me thinking that’s all. Now, without Mo and Crab it’s going to be harder for Morgan, and the rest of the offense to perform as normal, but it did get me to thinking. Has Morgan ever led this team on a winning drive when it counted?

How do we define "a winning drive when it counted"?

Are you talking about coming from behind? What makes a drive "count", vs. "not count"?

Are you talking about coming from behind?
Yes, I would say coming from behind. Now the game sealing drive against Auburn was big for sure, but it has to be a different feel for a QB when you are behind and walk on the field for what could be the final drive of the game.

Yes, I would say coming from behind. Now the game sealing drive against Auburn was big for sure, but it has to be a different feel for a QB when you are behind and walk on the field for what could be the final drive of the game.

Mmmm.

So you're asking others to find something out for you, because (as you yourself stated) you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Can you explain what it is you're trying to pin down?

Mmmm.

So you're asking others to find something out for you, because (as you yourself stated) you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Can you explain what it is you're trying to pin down?
What am I trying to pin down? I thought my two questions were obvious. Didn’t mean to get into a thing with you here. By all means forget I asked. I’ll research it myself.

What am I trying to pin down? I thought my two questions were obvious. Didn’t mean to get into a thing with you here. By all means forget I asked. I’ll research it myself.

That might be good. You can't go wrong that way.

Against Fresno State and Georgia Southern in 2019. Indiana 2018. I don’t know how many chances he’s had and failed.

Hi Mitch!

3 game losing streak coming our way. Sick of getting excited for these little Goph teams. Then we will win the Pig this year to save Flecks image. Man I really thought this would be a special year.
A pack of Hyenas turning on the lead dog on the first sign of weakness? A three-game losing streak is possible.

From my perspective, it's that the loss feels like another of those "big moment" losses that we've had when the program seems poised on a step forward. Beating Purdue certainly isn't like a major achievement, but it's the fact that the team was generating so much buzz and seeming to be leaving the past behind - this performance felt like the Gophers of my previous entire life lol.

But also - we all just want a dang winner in this town. It ain't over, but for a homecoming game, with the stripe out, with the ranking...yea, it stings.
It is a wake-up call. NMSU, WMU, Colorado, and MSU = patsies. We were looking at a mirage.

There will not be a 3-game losing streak. Gophs played about as bad as possible on offense and still would have won with two very high probability plays happening; the short dropped/intercepted TD pass and the chip shot field goal. Heck, even the first of those two changes the game dramatically.

Mo not playing seriously hindered the team. They need to fix and prep for that.

Are you talking about coming from behind? What makes a drive "count", vs. "not count"?
Im not sure what is so confusing for you or maybe you just dont watch a lot of football. Its pretty self-explanatory. He asked a simple question and I swear you are intentionally playing dumb cause you have this weird fascination with Tanner.

A game winning drive is a score in the fourth quarter or overtime by the offense with the team tied or down by less than a score, which leads to the team to win the game without the lead changing after that.

And unfortunately, those that hate the Vikings (cuz, remember, you can't like both programs) have to wallow in the misery of our Gopher loss. I'm not happy we lost, but at least the Vikings won, so my weekend wasn't totally ruined. Enjoy the journey folks!

Against Fresno State and Georgia Southern in 2019. Indiana 2018. I don’t know how many chances he’s had and failed.
Thanks. That’s all I was asking as my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. Was just curious if he had done it before. I think Murray thought I had some ulterior motive, which I didn’t.

3 game losing streak coming our way. Sick of getting excited for these little Goph teams. Then we will win the Pig this year to save Flecks image. Man I really thought this would be a special year.
Thanks for letting us know Nostradamus.

You know, I went to the away game at Illinois that got Robb Smith fired in 2018 and felt similarly after that one. Then... we turned it around and beat (destroyed) Wisconsin on their home turf. This season is still VERY salvageable..
I've definitely processed my emotions around the loss- I am def bummed out by it, but it's on to Illinois. On to da next one, baby!

One of the things that makes college football so fun is that each regular season game is meaingful....that said, this Illinois game has a LOT of weight to it now.

I was also thinking that beyond the stripe out, homecoming, and the ranking...the Purdue loss was rough just because it felt like we positioned ourselves so well with that blowout at MSU. Losing to Purdue feels like tossing out that edge we had earned. I think it would have been fair to predict a 4-1 record prior to the season at this point, but nobody would have expected losing to Purdue coming off of that last game. We left the driver's seat and are back in the middle of the station wagon fighting with our annoying siblings.

Knowing that the next few years may be a bit of a rebuild, it just makes this season feel like a now or never dynamic that adds to the intensity - but I totally acknowledge that assessment may not be accurate - for all I know, we could be very good next year despite the big shift from senior leadership moving on.

Well now is where the rubber meets the road and we find out who the Gophers are. At the end of the day, a BIG West championship demands that a team be able to deal with adversity and bounce back - if the Gophers can't take care of business in a couple weeks, then they probably aren't championship quality.

On a personal level - I am very much burnt out on professional teams in this town, and I find the Gophers to be incredibly likable. I like Fleck a lot, I like these players, I like Tanner and Mo and the way these boys seem to really carry themselves as men, while doing right by each other. So I want to see them succeed really badly. I want to envision a product that truly does raise the sleeping giant so that over the next twenty years I can hold season tickets that people look forward to joining me for gameday on.

I still believe, but I'm pretty annoyed that we crapped our pants on a very winnable game. Some of the best teams across sports have these moments, and the ones that go on to greatness use them. Will the Gophers use this lesson? That is the question at hand. Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk. Row Baby, Row.

It is a wake-up call. NMSU, WMU, Colorado, and MSU = patsies. We were looking at a mirage.
I hope it's not a mirage - I think the truth is somewhere in between. When we play our best, we can beat anyone in the Big Ten short of perhaps Ohio or Michigan - I truly believe that.

But we are vulnerable and we are an offense that really relies on consistency. I can't lay claim to that observation, but hearing Gopher Gridiron lay that out, it becomes clear how dependent we are on our running game being able to establish itself.

I think we will really know who we are after illinois. If we take that game I think we can take Penn St.

Now, without Mo and Crab it’s going to be harder for Morgan, and the rest of the offense to perform as normal,

Did I miss something? Has it been announced that Mo will be out for an extended period of time? Fleck talked like he just needed a few more days of recuperation in an interview Saturday.

But we are vulnerable and we are an offense that really relies on consistency. I can't lay claim to that observation, but hearing Gopher Gridiron lay that out, it becomes clear how dependent we are on our running game being able to establish itself.

Clearly. I posted within the last couple of days that we are 2-7 in Tanner's starts where he has thrown 30 passes or more and 29-6 in starts where he has thrown fewer than 30 passes. Those 9 starts were games where we had a combination of the running game not working and/or falling behind. Our offense is very effective when we can maintain that consistent run and pass balance to sustain long drives but it is very dicey when we can't.

Meh I dont care about the casual fans. I cant control them. They either follow the team or dont. I still think we win the west and the team is going in the right direction. Today our offense looked like a team that didn't have their top running back and wide receiver. Because we didn't.
Wonder if those who have been following the Gophers 20+ years are those less optimistic about the balance of the season.

Top Bottom