3 game losing streak

Yeah unfortunately Beilema has the ascending program, until Fleck recruits better our ceiling is 7-5, 8-4 jump once every decade to win 9 or 10. We probably beat Ruthers, NW, and Neb then split WI/IA be my guess.
We’ve had 9+ wins two of the last four years, and one of those included losses to Bowling Green and Illinois at home (one of those years was a Covid year with only 7 games as well) . Bad take. I’m disappointed in todays loss but you’re completely overreacting.

One loss to a tough team and out come the bandwagon jumpers lol. Get a grip, it was one game. We know we are capable of better than today.
Not a tough team. No one would be concered if they were a tough team.

Un-fucking-forgivable.

Come on people. We lost ONE game to a Big Ten opponent and y’all act as if the sky is falling. Keep things in perspective. Illinois is going to tell us a lot about how this team really is. It is VERY hard to win out in the Big Ten.
From my perspective, it's that the loss feels like another of those "big moment" losses that we've had when the program seems poised on a step forward. Beating Purdue certainly isn't like a major achievement, but it's the fact that the team was generating so much buzz and seeming to be leaving the past behind - this performance felt like the Gophers of my previous entire life lol.

But also - we all just want a dang winner in this town. It ain't over, but for a homecoming game, with the stripe out, with the ranking...yea, it stings.

note: GH regulars are hardly “bandwagon jumpers”.

True, but some are borderline insane over a loss; them damn sugar plump fairies!

4 great games and then a flop; in horse racing handicapping parlance, you draw a line through it, as 4 great “wins” over shadow a bad loss, look for the horse to rebound the next race out.

The players, coaches, trainers, Goldy et al started reading their press clippings and bought into the hype. I’d rather lose to Purdue now, than IA or Sconnie later,

I bet they have some amazing practices next week as everyone improves their best and we get a sold win by a couple of TDs next week over Fat Boy.

Last edited:

An ugly loss from nowhere to Purdue is practically a required course for any team to have a big season.

It didn’t keep MSU from a NY6 bowl last year.
It didn’t keep Ohio State from the Rose Bowl in 2018.
Iowa choked against them last year but still won the West, 10 games, and Floyd.

The season ain’t over. Purdue’s famous for pulling this stuff but the margin for error just got very slim.

An ugly loss from nowhere to Purdue is practically a required course for any team to have a big season.

It didn’t keep MSU from a NY6 bowl last year.
It didn’t keep Ohio State from the Rose Bowl in 2018.
Iowa choked against them last year but still won the West, 10 games, and Floyd.

The season ain’t over. Purdue’s famous for pulling this stuff but the margin for error just got very slim.
a reasonable sanity check here.

From my perspective, it's that the loss feels like another of those "big moment" losses that we've had when the program seems poised on a step forward. Beating Purdue certainly isn't like a major achievement, but it's the fact that the team was generating so much buzz and seeming to be leaving the past behind - this performance felt like the Gophers of my previous entire life lol.

But also - we all just want a dang winner in this town. It ain't over, but for a homecoming game, with the stripe out, with the ranking...yea, it stings.
You know, I went to the away game at Illinois that got Robb Smith fired in 2018 and felt similarly after that one. Then... we turned it around and beat (destroyed) Wisconsin on their home turf. This season is still VERY salvageable..

We’ve had 9+ wins two of the last four years, and one of those included losses to Bowling Green and Illinois at home (one of those years was a Covid year with only 7 games as well) . Bad take. I’m disappointed in todays loss but you’re completely overreacting.
I was referring to the regular season. Fact remains he has won 8 games or more once in 5 years. Will see how this season plays out but 8-4 is most likely. Which is 1 for 6. We lose a ton this year so next year may be a bit rough.

7-5, 8-4 we would have killed for some time ago. I am fine with it. But the hyperbole after the first 4 games was laughable. 9 regular season wins remains the exception not the norm.

It’s not like we played well and lost. We had self inflicted mistakes and still almost pulled it out. We have enough talent to beat most of the west with a mediocre game, but play a poor game and you can lose as we saw. If they play like they did against MSU they aren’t losing to anyone. It’s not like all of sudden the talent isn’t there because of this one bad game. We know they are capable of more than they showed vs Purdue.

your take here is suggesting that Purdue is a quality opponent with whom which we should have been happy with barely defeating. They are not, and the game plan should have been to destroy them, to tear them apart piece by piece from he opening kickoff. instead, from the opening play they looked to play not-to-lose, which showed throughout the game and into the inexcusable two possessions the offense had with the tie late. This game should have been a blowout W, no matter if Mo played or not. Nothing about today’s gameplan is excusable.

'This is INEXCUSEABLE!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....'

You could get a job on KFAN; you'll fit right in with Barriero on the popular afternoon Scolding & Shaming Show.

It’s not like we played well and lost. We had self inflicted mistakes and still almost pulled it out. We have enough talent to beat most of the west with a mediocre game, but play a poor game and you can lose as we saw. If they play like they did against MSU they aren’t losing to anyone. It’s not like all of sudden the talent isn’t there because of this one bad game. We know they are capable of more than they showed vs Purdue.
I agree with all this

Almost pulled it out?

Yeah unfortunately Beilema has the ascending program, until Fleck recruits better our ceiling is 7-5, 8-4 jump once every decade to win 9 or 10. We probably beat Ruthers, NW, and Neb then split WI/IA be my guess.
Only Northwestern and Rutgers are sure wins. We could lose any of the others, but will win some - maybe 8-4 and a bowl.

Bowling Green and Illinois last year, Purdue this year: same game profile. The other team swarms the line of scrimmage, stopping the run and harries Morgan. The passing game can't save the day and the Gophers end up with one touchdown! I didn't get up for Purdue this year because I kept thinking about Bowling Green last year. So I wasn't surprised. The decision to go for it on 4th down from our own thirty against an aggressive run defense, was stupid.

Bowling Green and Illinois last year, Purdue this year: same game profile. The other team swarms the line of scrimmage, stopping the run and harries Morgan. The passing game can't save the day and the Gophers end up with one touchdown! I didn't get up for Purdue this year because I kept thinking about Bowling Green last year. So I wasn't surprised. The decision to go for it on 4th down from our own thirty against an aggressive run defense, was stupid.
No I was told everything last year was because of Sanford

Last week, we looked like the team to beat in the West. This week, it’s Illinois. Next week, it’ll probably be someone else. It’s college football - upsets happen.
Right on! We dominated a team on the road that most people still had a lot of respect for, including the Gophers. It was a nice victory. We then had a lackluster game; probably over-confident; a couple bad breaks; a bad PJ call; and our best player was out. You can bet that Bielma had Illinois ready to play Wisconsin because he really wanted that game. It's college football and I'm thinking the Gophers will come ready to play and Illinois will have a letdown. Unless you're Ohio State I don't know how the fans of any BIG team can be confident about how their team will fare.

We had better not lose to Illinois and PSU.

If they do, season is over in terms of goals. I suppose beating Iowa and Wisconsin would still be there.

If that were to happen though, they would not bench Morgan and go to Athan. In the slim chance we go south, I'd love to go to the future.

Would never happen though.

Of the 14 Big10 teams, 11 have one or more losses. The remaining 3 are OSU, Mich., and Penn State. Another way of saying this is, it is not unusual for a team to have a loss at this point in the season. I don't think MN is at the level of OSU or Mich. We may be at the level of Penn State. We shall see.

Gophers under fleck are 7-2 going into games with at least two weeks off.
Bolds well going into Illinois.

Top Bottom