2nd-year coaches update (W-L records)

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
In AQ conference, there were 11 new hires in 2011 (12 if you count Todd Graham who is no longer with Pitt - but for the purposes of this I've excluded him).

Here are the team records the year previous to their arrival, their first, and to-date through their second years.

Brady Hoke, Michigan
2010: 7-6
2011: 11-2
2012: 7-3

James Franklin, Vanderbilt
2010: 2-10
2011: 6-7
2012: 6-4

David Shaw, Stanford
2010: 12-1
2012: 8-2

Dana Holgorson, West Virginia
2010: 9-4
2011: 10-3
2012: 5-4

Paul Pasqualoni, UConn
2010: 8-5
2011: 5-7
2012: 4-6

Al Golden, Miami
2011: 6-6
2012: 5-5

Will Muschamp, Florida
2011: 7-6
2012: 9-1

Jon Embree, Colorado
2010: 5-7
2011: 3-10
2012: 1-9

Kevin Wilson, Indiana
2011: 1-11

Jerry Kill, Minnesota
2010: 3-9
2011: 3-9
2012: 6-4

Randy Edsall, Maryland
2011: 2-10

Thanks for looking this all up. It would be really interesting to look at in years 3 and 4, many times considered the make or break years for a new coach in today's college football.

Michigan will be better once Robinson is gone, and yes I'm serious. Hoke was pretty much tied to playing Robinson, but that's not the kind of offense or the kind of QB he prefers. The Wolverines will get better once they have a QB who can throw something other than a prayer. Michigan is way too one-dimensional with Robinson. They won't be in the near future.

Interesting numbers, thanks. I would caution anyone reading to consider the different dynamics at each school. IMO "turning around" a program like Indiana or Minnesota is altogether different than turning around a program like Florida, Miami or Michigan.

In AQ conference, there were 11 new hires in 2011 (12 if you count Todd Graham who is no longer with Pitt - but for the purposes of this I've excluded him).

Here are the team records the year previous to their arrival, their first, and to-date through their second years.

Brady Hoke, Michigan
2012: 6-3

James Franklin, Vanderbilt
2010: 2-10
2011: 6-7

David Shaw, Stanford
2010: 12-1
2012: 7-2

Dana Holgorson, West Virginia
2011: 10-3
2012: 5-3

Paul Pasqualoni, UConn
2011: 5-7
2012: 3-6

Al Golden, Miami
2011: 6-6

Will Muschamp, Florida
2011: 7-6
2012: 8-1

Jon Embree, Colorado
2011: 3-10
2012: 1-8

Kevin Wilson, Indiana
2011: 1-11
2012: 4-5

Jerry Kill, Minnesota
2010: 3-9
2011: 3-9

Randy Edsall, Maryland
2011: 2-10
2012: 4-5

Certainly Edsall and Embree look like the biggest dumpster fires so far. Muschamp is on the best trajectory, Shaw has done a nice job maintaining the Cardinal's success, while the rest are in a bit of a wait-and-see mode IMO. Holgorson and Hoke had great seasons in year one but appear to be taking at least a small step back in year two.

Jerry Kill's record was 9-3 in 2010, not 3-9.

Jerry Kill's record was 9-3 in 2010, not 3-9.

He indicated the the first number is the TEAM's record the year before they came. So MN was 3-9 the year before Kill came.

He indicated the the first number is the TEAM's record the year before they came. So MN was 3-9 the year before Kill came.

Thanks Dr.Don. I just thought the win/loss numbers were reversed from 2010. It appeared to be either a typo or maybe my eyes were being dyslectic. My bad. I should have had a beer first and then read the whole thing.

Hoke and Franklin look good to me. If Kill wins tomorrow, he'll be looking pretty good, too.

Updated through this weekend.

Kill and Franklin are the only two to bring their program from <6 wins in the year prior to their arrival to 6+ wins two years later thus far. Wilson has a chance if IU can close out with two wins.

Four coaches - Embree, Shaw, Pasqualoni, Edsall - are assured to finish year two with a record worse than the year prior to their arrival, while four - Holgorson, Pasqualoni, Golden, Edsall - have not achieved bowl eligibility yet in their second season after taking over a team that was bowl eligible in the season before their arrival.

Maryland must be kicking itself every day for letting Franklin go so they could sign Edsall instead. Oops.

Maryland must be kicking itself every day for letting Franklin go so they could sign Edsall instead. Oops.

Where are all of the Edsall fans that wanted him for our new FB coach? Or the Mike Leach fans?

Mike Leach is a first class jerk whose unsavory character got overlooked in the rush to defend Bruce Feldman after ESPN mistreated him and to bury Craig James for overstepping in his attempt to undermine Leach at Texas Tech. I never wanted him here and his abrasive personality would never have played in Minnesota with the fans or media, at least not in the long haul.

Jon Embree looks totally overmatched at Colorado. There's talk that they'll pull the plug and start over again after this season.

Mike Leach is a first class jerk whose unsavory character got overlooked in the rush to defend Bruce Feldman after ESPN mistreated him and to bury Craig James for overstepping in his attempt to undermine Leach at Texas Tech. I never wanted him here and his abrasive personality would never have played in Minnesota with the fans or media, at least not in the long haul.

Jon Embree looks totally overmatched at Colorado. There's talk that they'll pull the plug and start over again after this season.

Well, that makes that official at Colorado.

Unless leach won right away then the bandwagon minnesota fanbase would have talked about him as if he was bud grant

Leach is a stud I don't care what anyone thinks I really like the guy

Present and accounted for. I would still take them both over kill

Unfortunately Rosemountain is not kidding. I have tried to educate him for the past two years about what a clown Randy Edsall is...not to mention a below average Head Coach, but he will not listen. He is too seduced by Edsall's 22-26 Big East record at UConn.

Hey I got an idea for you. Why don't you become a fan of those two coach's schools. You have made it quite clear about your dislike of coach Kill, his recruiting, and anything related to him. It would be a twofer. You would be much happier there and I expect some of the gopherholer's would be happier not to have to listen to your incessant whining.

Unfortunately Rosemountain is not kidding. I have tried to educate him for the past two years about what a clown Randy Edsall is...not to mention a below average Head Coach, but he will not listen. He is too seduced by Edsall's 22-26 Big East record at UConn.

I have mentioned that NUMEROUS times to him as well, but I guess the record in the powerhouse conference of Big East is just too much for him to overlook. :rolleyes:

I don't find anything wrong with rosemountain's opinion. Edsall took UCONN from FCS to BCS, then took them into the big east from independent, then won the conference twice in 7 years. His track record is more impressive then Kill's. I really think it's about finding the right fit though. Not many coaches have what it takes to win at multiple locations at the bcs level. A lot can have success at one place but not another.

Wow. Now I know to never listen to anything you say on this board again. If you think Edsall is a better coach than Kill you know nothing about football. And Leach would have been a horrible hire. Have you not read the reports of abuse IN HIS FIRST SEASON at WSU?

I don't find anything wrong with rosemountain's opinion. Edsall took UCONN from FCS to BCS, then took them into the big east from independent, then won the conference twice in 7 years. His track record is more impressive then Kill's. I really think it's about finding the right fit though. Not many coaches have what it takes to win at multiple locations at the bcs level. A lot can have success at one place but not another.

No it isn't. It's not even close actually. Edsall's career record is 76-79 over 13 years.

btown-

My beef is with Edsall's record on the Big East. UConn had been a 1A team for 4 years before joining the Big East. They joined a Big East void of Miami and Va Tech and BC would leave the next year. We can all agree that the Big Ten is far superior to the Big East in terms football competition and depth. In 7 years in the Big East Edsall went 22-26. 7 years in that poo-poo platter of a conference and he had a losing record. His best record? 5-2. No Thanks.

No it isn't. It's not even close actually. Edsall's career record is 76-79 over 13 years.

Don't you just love using things called facts & statistics?

The Big East is by far the worst AQ conference and will be getting even worse when some of the teams leave next year. And again, facts, his best conference record was 5-2 and had an OVERALL RECORD of 76-79. WOW, 49% of his games he won, now thats an impressive winning percentage. You could almost argue that Kill left NIU in a much better state than Edsall left UConn. Both are also very difficult to recruit to I would imagine. So, everything considered, Kill is a MUCH better hire than Edsall any day of the week any way you look at it.

Kill's record as an FBS coach is only slightly better, he never won a conference, the Big East is still better then the Mac. Kill has never won a bowl game either. It was a easier situation for Kill to win right away at Northern Illinois too, he inherited some good players. Yeah he took over a 2 win team, but they had winning seasons the previous 7 years, Joe Novak had a decent program in place. Edsall Had only been coaching Uconn for a season before they made the move to fbs, and it's not like they were a powerhouse of a FCS team.

Wow. Now I know to never listen to anything you say on this board again. If you think Edsall is a better coach than Kill you know nothing about football. And Leach would have been a horrible hire. Have you not read the reports of abuse IN HIS FIRST SEASON at WSU?

Are there reports now? I just heard of the one report, we'll see what happens with that, doesn't sound super legit from what I've read. Leach did wonders at TT.

Comparing Kill at Northern Illinois and Edsall at Connecticut is apples and oranges. Kill took a program that was already really good and kept it at a high level (it had started to slip under Novak, but it was hardly a rebuilding project). Edsall took a program that was in the FCS and transitioned it into the Big East.

To simply look at their W-L records without any consideration of context is lazy at best.

A better comparison might be what Kill did at Southern Illinois, but even then the context is drastically different because Southern Illinois never aspired to be anything more than an FCS program.

Top Bottom