2024 MN High School Football thread

Moorhead 36 - Alex 34 in a barn burner. 43 yd go ahead field goal missed in the final seconds

and a few noteworthy games on Friday:

9-pl: Mt Lake Area (5-1) at #4 Hills-Beaver Creek (6-0)-- Hills-Beaver Creek 20, Mt Lake Area 8

1A: Red Lake County (5-1) at #7 Ada-Borup West (5-1)--Red Lake County 70, Ada-Borup West 25

2A: #3 Eden Valley-Watkins(6-0) at #9 Kimball Area(6-0)--Kimball Area 28, Eden Valley-Watkins 20

4A: #3 Orono (6-0) at #2 Totino-Grace (6-0)--Totino-Grace 11. Orono 8

----and

5A: #2 Moorhead (6-0) at #1 Alexandria (6-0)--Moorhead 36, Alexandria 34

-- Mankato West 28, Mankato East 7

Why is the 6A schedule so? PL played Woodbury tonight, Buffalo next week.

Woodbury looked like a damn middle school team out there with PL.

PL is a bad 6A team. Why is the MSHL doing this?

There are 32 teams. Someone has to play someone. There are 5 districts. 4 with 6 teams and 1 with 8. They have to play crossover games.

There are four districts of 8
There are 4 sections of 8 for playoffs. Regular season schedules are done by 5 districts.

District Champs are:

Buffalo 5-0 is the Maroon district.

Mounds View won their district at 4-1 in East H2H over Forest Lake.

Maple Grove is 7-0 in North

Lakeville North 5-0 South

Minnetonka 4-1. West H2H over Shakopee

North plays one crossover game. The other 4 districts play 3 crossover games.

the regular-season arguments/discussions are fun. but after Wednesday's games, the brackets come out and the arguments go from theoretical to practical. us older guys have seen lots of teams over the years where, during the regular season, people watched them play and said "no way this team can lose."

and then, they get into the playoffs, run up against another really good team, and guess what - they lose. in that sense, teams that have been challenged in the regular season - maybe teams that have lost a game or even two - know who they are, more so than some team that rolled through the season without ever working up a sweat or playing in a tight game in the 4th quarter.

you want to keep the season going - find a way to win the next game. or you're done. it's the harsh reality but also the beauty of HS sports.

South metro looks bad after tonight
Yeah, I have been saying the South looked soft all year and last night really showed that with Lakeville North finally losing and Eagan falling as well. Those two have been the top teams in the South by a wide margin but neither is probably going to go far in the playoffs.

Rosemount did give Shakopee a battle and was even up at halftime before making some critical mistakes in the second half that led to some easy Shakopee points. If Shakopee doesn't have to throw they will be a tough out with some fast running backs and a good defense. The handful of times they tried to throw last night did not look good at all.

Yeah, I have been saying the South looked soft all year and last night really showed that with Lakeville North finally losing and Eagan falling as well. Those two have been the top teams in the South by a wide margin but neither is probably going to go far in the playoffs.

Rosemount did give Shakopee a battle and was even up at halftime before making some critical mistakes in the second half that led to some easy Shakopee points. If Shakopee doesn't have to throw they will be a tough out with some fast running backs and a good defense. The handful of times they tried to throw last night did not look good at all.
They haven’t been tops by a wide margin.
Against the south metro non-field they’re 6-0 but every game was a one possession game except Mayo…they won by 9

Care to give us even a little insight.....
Awful parents stirring up racial bullshit. One of them was a former co-worker of mine and even before this, she was one of the absolute worst humans I've ever met. Just a repulsive person.

What's worse, is some people I know and really liked got all caught up in the hoopla and moved their kids out of the district.

With all due respect, Prior Lake is not a bad 6A team. Their district is really tough. They could legitimately be anywhere from 4-2 to 6-0 with a Metro South or Metro East schedule.

Awful parents stirring up racial bullshit. One of them was a former co-worker of mine and even before this, she was one of the absolute worst humans I've ever met. Just a repulsive person.

What's worse, is some people I know and really liked got all caught up in the hoopla and moved their kids out of the district.
Towns change overtime I grew up in Austin where for 50 years we pretty much kicked the shit out of the big nine in football and I think going back the last decade their winning percentages about five or 10%. Playing Mankato West back in the day was like having a bye and now look what they’re doing the last 20 years. EP is going through some of the same change That can put stressors on a football program.

Every Metro south team that did not play a relief team lost this week, not good.
Was only a matter of time before Lakeville North went down. They are solid but definitely not #1. Some good programs in the South but they are all down this year compared to where they have been in recent years.

Week 8! Here we go with MEA week. Games Tuesday-Thursday this week and then Playoffs on Tuesday (10/22) for 9Player -5A, Friday (10/25) for 6A and Section semifinal on Saturday October 26.

7-0 Teams Remaining:

9Player has 8 ; Spring Grove, Leroy Ostrander/Lyle-Pacelli, Hills Beaver Creek, Hancock, Nevis, Fertile-Beltrami, Fosston, Mountain Iron-Buhl
1A has 5 ; Goodhue, Springfield, Upsala/Swanville, Minneota, Mahnomen-Waubun.
2A has 8 ; Chatfield, JacksonCC, Rush City, Norwood YA, Kimball Area, Staples-Motley, Barnum, Barnesville.
3A has 6 ; Stewartville, Dassel-Cokato, Albany, Pequot Lakes, Fergus Falls, Morris Area.
4A has 3 ; Becker, Princeton, Totino Grace.
5A has 4 ; Two Rivers, Owatonna, Moorhead, Armstrong.
6A has 1 ; Maple Grove (There game is really meaningless to them this week against Minnetonka)

Towns change overtime I grew up in Austin where for 50 years we pretty much kicked the shit out of the big nine in football and I think going back the last decade their winning percentages about five or 10%. Playing Mankato West back in the day was like having a bye and now look what they’re doing the last 20 years. EP is going through some of the same change That can put stressors on a football program.
Lol. Hormel used to recruit families to Austin so that was part of it. Austin was a power but when Rochester only had one high school they were actually winning everything in the Big 9.

Lol. Hormel used to recruit families to Austin so that was part of it. Austin was a power but when Rochester only had one high school they were actually winning everything in the Big 9.
Not trying to call out you directly maroon, but you know you hear a lot in this state. Marvin Windows gave good players families jobs, Polaris gave families jobs, Hormel gave jobs to families etc.. we used to even hear down SE MN that McNelius in Dodge Center would give families of athletes jobs to get them to town.

But upon further investigation it was always “a guy my dad knew” or “my cousins neighbors friend knew a guy.” The concrete examples of this remain elusive. And as I have aged, I wonder more and more whether massive companies, some publicly traded, actually would waste the time and resources to improve the local high school athletic programs….

Week 8! Here we go with MEA week. Games Tuesday-Thursday this week and then Playoffs on Tuesday (10/22) for 9Player -5A, Friday (10/25) for 6A and Section semifinal on Saturday October 26.

7-0 Teams Remaining:

9Player has 8 ; Spring Grove, Leroy Ostrander/Lyle-Pacelli, Hills Beaver Creek, Hancock, Nevis, Fertile-Beltrami, Fosston, Mountain Iron-Buhl
1A has 5 ; Goodhue, Springfield, Upsala/Swanville, Minneota, Mahnomen-Waubun.
2A has 8 ; Chatfield, JacksonCC, Rush City, Norwood YA, Kimball Area, Staples-Motley, Barnum, Barnesville.
3A has 6 ; Stewartville, Dassel-Cokato, Albany, Pequot Lakes, Fergus Falls, Morris Area.
4A has 3 ; Becker, Princeton, Totino Grace.
5A has 4 ; Two Rivers, Owatonna, Moorhead, Armstrong.
6A has 1 ; Maple Grove (There game is really meaningless to them this week against Minnetonka)
Some great HS teams this year up in my area. I went to my first 9-man game ever to watch Nevis and had a blast.

Does anyone know if we are recruiting Maple Grove's QB? I think this is his second year as starter and they always are top team in State or near top team. I think their RB already committed to a Dakota.

Sounds like you’re a Rochester propagandist.

Does anyone know if we are recruiting Maple Grove's QB? I think this is his second year as starter and they always are top team in State or near top team. I think their RB already committed to a Dakota.
Not sure if he’s FBS or FCS level. They have 6-7 guys going to the Dakota schools and a few juniors visiting those schools as well.

Has there been any discussion of a 2nd high school in the Wayzata district? A high school of well over 4,000 kids would be unprecedented in Minnesota.

Has there been any discussion of a 2nd high school in the Wayzata district? A high school of well over 4,000 kids would be unprecedented in Minnesota.
Back in the 60's I lived in Evanston, IL and their high school had 10,000 students. They won the state basketball tourney that year.

Not trying to call out you directly maroon, but you know you hear a lot in this state. Marvin Windows gave good players families jobs, Polaris gave families jobs, Hormel gave jobs to families etc.. we used to even hear down SE MN that McNelius in Dodge Center would give families of athletes jobs to get them to town.

But upon further investigation it was always “a guy my dad knew” or “my cousins neighbors friend knew a guy.” The concrete examples of this remain elusive. And as I have aged, I wonder more and more whether massive companies, some publicly traded, actually would waste the time and resources to improve the local high school athletic programs….
It could just have to do with the fact that families that are not economically disadvantaged can put their kids in youth sports, pay for training, etc. Have a company in town that is successful and pays people well and you are probably going to have more kids in sports.

Word is that after the star QB got hurt, to cheer him up the new QB, a RB, a WR, and an OL took him to a strip club the night before a game. One of the strippers turned out to be one of their teachers, so that was a big deal. But the coach found out about the outing after the guys played really badly in the game the next day and was pissed. And a lot of the guys on the team are getting fed up with how the coach is controlling their lives and season. We'll see how it all plays out as we get closer to the playoffs.
Playing football at West Canan may have been the opportunity of your lifetime ....

It could just have to do with the fact that families that are not economically disadvantaged can put their kids in youth sports, pay for training, etc. Have a company in town that is successful and pays people well and you are probably going to have more kids in sports.
I really don't think people understand the advantages that they have. Couple examples.

Ability to get off work and get kids to practice
Ability to have quality parents that are willing to run around and carpool kids
Ability to pay

At our school we have about 55 8th graders playing football this year. There will be close to 80 kids on the 9th grade team next year. Kids will come for the magnet program with busing, kids will play that haven't played before or focused on other sports, practices are all after school and kids can get there. There is no weekend commitment. Until a kids can drive and has a car it's really hard to get around. Some kids live a few communities over and can't get rides to activities that don't line up after school.

Every year there are starters on out 9th grade football and basketball teams that no one has ever seen before.

Top Bottom