2024 MN High School Football thread

Enrollment and Low-income levels by schools from the Metro-West district (via greatschools.org):

Eden Prairie: 2,833 Students/ 31% low income

Edina: 2,720 Students/ 20% low income

Minnetonka: 3,508 Students/ 11% low income

Prior Lake: 2,857 Students/ 18% low income

Shakopee: 2,770 Students/ 38% low-income

Wayzata: 3,523 Students/ 14% low income

Minnetonka and Wayzata definitely seem to have a competitive advantage when it comes to the factors of enrollment and income.
Minnetonka is somewhere between 30-40% kids open enrolled from outside the district. I'd have to guess that the percentage at Edina would be pretty high as well, just because of the aging and maturity of that district.

Wayzata has virtually no open enrollment as the schools are pretty well full and growing with new residents. I think they're anticipating 750-800 new additional students in the next few years in the Wayzata district, largely because of more new construction in the NW part of the district.

Starting to be more crossover again this week.
Being able to compare teams between the 4 sections becomes a bit easier.
Barring upsets, seeding pretty close to done:

South:
1) north
2) eagan
3) south
4) farmington - the best 4? Or EP
5) mayo
6) rosemount - the best 6…may finish 1-7 but they have a top 10 defense in the state and will be a tough out)
7) Eastview
8) Burnsville

West:
1) Tonka
2) shakopee - the best 2
3) Edina - the best 3
4) Eden Prairie - the best 4? (or farmington)
5) prior lake - the best 5 (I think, don’t love any of the 5s)
6) wayzata
7) Buffalo - the best 7? (Or osseo)
8) Hopkins - the best 8

North:
1) maple grove - the best 1
2) anoka
3) Blaine
4) centennial
5) STMA
6) Champlin park
7) osseo - the best 7? (Or Buffalo)
8) coon rapids

East:
1) Moundsview
2) forest lake
3) Stillwater
4) east ridge
5) woodbury
6) white bear lake
7) Roseville
8) park
Not really sold on anyone in the South this year but will be interested to see how Rosemount does against Shakopee this week and Centennial next week. If the games are close then maybe the South is better than I am giving it credit for but my guess is that the South section is going to prove to be weak this year and not a factor in the playoffs.

Minnetonka is somewhere between 30-40% kids open enrolled from outside the district. I'd have to guess that the percentage at Edina would be pretty high as well, just because of the aging and maturity of that district.

Wayzata has virtually no open enrollment as the schools are pretty well full and growing with new residents. I think they're anticipating 750-800 new additional students in the next few years in the Wayzata district, largely because of more new construction in the NW part of the district.
Has there been any discussion of a 2nd high school in the Wayzata district? A high school of well over 4,000 kids would be unprecedented in Minnesota.

Week 8 games will give some clarity with
Minnetonka and Maple Grove
Blaine and Shakopee
Centennial vs Rosemount (might be 3-0 in OT)
WBL and Osseo
STMA and Mounds View
Prior Lake and Buffalo
Anoka and Wayzata
Champlin Park and South

Sample of what the Bracket of top 16 might look like this.

Maple Grove, Forest Lake, Edina, East Ridge
Tonka, Anoka, South, Farmington,
North, Eagan, Blaine, Eden Prairie
Mounds View, Shakopee, Stillwater, Centennial

Has there been any discussion of a 2nd high school in the Wayzata district? A high school of well over 4,000 kids would be unprecedented in Minnesota.
It's not going to happen. If they were going to do that, it would have been 10-15 years ago I'd think. They added onto the high school instead. It's unbelievably huge.

The other thing about the district, is that the high school is a palace, they seemingly build new grade schools every other year or so, but the three middle schools are honestly pretty crappy. I have heard rumors of a fourth middle school someday in the northern part of the district, nearer the high school, but right now there's a big project to adjust attendance boundaries again instead. Fortunately, it won't affect us - my kid has one more year of middle school next year, and none of the scenarios would have him change schools.

Someone here posted that they didn't build a second high school because they assumed at the time that the southern part of the district (where I live) would largely age out demographically, and it would be balanced out with growth in the north like has happened in other suburban districts. But young families are still moving into the south to replace older households, and growth exploded (and still is) in the north far more than they anticipated.

Last edited:

Not really sold on anyone in the South this year but will be interested to see how Rosemount does against Shakopee this week and Centennial next week. If the games are close then maybe the South is better than I am giving it credit for but my guess is that the South section is going to prove to be weak this year and not a factor in the playoffs.
I agree with you compared to the west.

But the 4 in the south already beat the 1 in the east
The pre-season best team in the east got beat soundly by north (although Stillwater has ended up the 3 not the 1)

I think that the west is clearly the best.
No data on the north. But I am assuming maple grove is as good as the top of the west and 2-6 are about as average as anyone

I agree with you compared to the west.

But the 4 in the south already beat the 1 in the east
The pre-season best team in the east got beat soundly by north (although Stillwater has ended up the 3 not the 1)

I think that the west is clearly the best.
No data on the north. But I am assuming maple grove is as good as the top of the west and 2-6 are about as average as anyone
Maple Grove is sound, but the RB continues to be hobbled by injuries.

They steamrolled Anoka (48-0 at half) after only beating Centennial by 7. And they were only up 7-0 on Blaine halfway through the 2nd quarter before winning 35-0.

6A North Metro League plays tonight in the final games of the round robin format. All play cross over games next week.

Champlin at Centennial
Osseo at Anoka
STMA at Maple Grove
Coon Rapids at Blaine

1728594372616.png

At Wayzata vs Hopkins now. Wayzata up 21-0 in the first.

Some HS Football scores from Thursday night:

9-person: Goodridge-Grygla-Gatzke 15, #10 Stephen-Argyle 12
--#2 Mt Iron-Buhl 62, #5 Cherry 6

1A: #1 Minneota 81, Lac Qui Parle Valley 0

2A: #4 Jackson County Central 38, (3A) Luverne 0 (Luverne was 6-0 going into game)

4A: #8 Rocori 44, Holy Angels 27
--#10 Hermantown 56, Esko 12

and a few noteworthy games on Friday: (Not as many good matchups)

9-person: Mt Lake Area (5-1) at #4 Hills-Beaver Creek (6-0)

1A: Red Lake County (5-1) at #7 Ada-Borup West (5-1)

2A: #3 Eden Valley-Watkins (6-0) at #9 Kimball Area (6-0)

4A: #3 Orono (6-0) at #2 Totino-Grace (6-0)

----and

5A: #2 Moorhead (6-0) at #1 Alexandria (6-0)
****a free livestream of this game is being offered by the MN Star-Tribune on the MN Football hub.

Wayzata destroyed Hopkins 55-6. Wayzata isn't that good this year - it's hard to believe that Hopkins won three games this season.

When they were at peak powerhouse level in almost everything, there was a lot of criticism for not building a second high school, claiming it was only because they wanted to be good at sports (as if that's why schools are built). What they didn't want, was to have to close a second high school when demographics changed and the district aged like Hopkins, Edina, White Bear, Roseville, Bloomington etc. all did, and I think we're starting to see it now.

I'd be very curious to see how many kids open enroll from EP into Minnetonka. I've known a few parents who sent their kids to Tonka from EP, but not near as many as from Hopkins.

(but I still think Wayzata should have built a second high school - it's projected to keep growing a LOT).
Tonka the #1 rated public high school (non-charter) in the state? (In terms of like graduation, college, etc.)

I've "heard things" about EP district, as well. Not sports things, other stuff. Perhaps best not to elaborate in this thread, just what I've heard anyway I don't have firsthand knowledge.

A good number do for sure, absolutely.

It's an interesting community.....lots of haves & have nots in terms of personal wealth. I'm guessing all districts have some, but it really seems to be quite a gap, at least from what I see.
Maybe Chanhassen too? Now that they have a high school, not just Chaska.

Tonka the #1 rated public high school (non-charter) in the state? (In terms of like graduation, college, etc.)

I've "heard things" about EP district, as well. Not sports things, other stuff. Perhaps best not to elaborate in this thread, just what I've heard anyway I don't have firsthand knowledge.
What you've heard is likely true. I know what you're referring to.

Big game in Mankato tonight. West has won 18 straight Jug games, but this is the best team East has had in 20 years. Records get thrown out the window when this game kicks off, but I fully expect East to end the streak tonight. It's the 25th anniversary of Mankato West's first state championship season, and Governor Walz will be attending the game and giving the Scarlets a pre game pep talk. Lot of parents with their panties in a bunch in Mankato today.

Big game in Mankato tonight. West has won 18 straight Jug games, but this is the best team East has had in 20 years. Records get thrown out the window when this game kicks off, but I fully expect East to end the streak tonight. It's the 25th anniversary of Mankato West's first state championship season, and Governor Walz will be attending the game and giving the Scarlets a pre game pep talk. Lot of parents with their panties in a bunch in Mankato today.
Parents are the root of most of the world's youth issues. The guy was a coach of the team and is running for VP of the US. Why anyone would pass up an opportunity like this for their kids, where 90% can't vote, is just childish.

GO Cougars! Got some friend connections to the East squad.

Interesting to see the brains of youth at work. Last night Coon Rapids, Osseo, and STMA all scored first in their games against Blaine, Anoka, and Maple Grove.

Blaine was down 9-7 in the 2ndQ.

Maple Grove won 56-7
Anoka won 55-19
Blaine won 55-9

To add to this: The week after losing to 0-5 WBL, Stillwater lost to Edina 19-16, while up 10 going to the 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Care to give us even a little insight.....
Word is that after the star QB got hurt, to cheer him up the new QB, a RB, a WR, and an OL took him to a strip club the night before a game. One of the strippers turned out to be one of their teachers, so that was a big deal. But the coach found out about the outing after the guys played really badly in the game the next day and was pissed. And a lot of the guys on the team are getting fed up with how the coach is controlling their lives and season. We'll see how it all plays out as we get closer to the playoffs.

Word is that after the star QB got hurt, to cheer him up the new QB, a RB, a WR, and an OL took him to a strip club the night before a game. One of the strippers turned out to be one of their teachers, so that was a big deal. But the coach found out about the outing after the guys played really badly in the game the next day and was pissed. And a lot of the guys on the team are getting fed up with how the coach is controlling their lives and season. We'll see how it all plays out as we get closer to the playoffs.

wtf-f7b668be9d136a0bce9abd26d5350556-meme.jpeg

As long as the teacher in question doesn't get asked to the prom by one of the players, I think the whole thing "should" blow over & be a non-issue......

The coach will probably win out in this as well......he has a statue after all!

To add to this: The week after losing to 0-5 WBL, Stillwater lost to Edina 19-16, while up 10 going to the 4th quarter.
Edina is struggling right now. Rumor I heard is Swinney may have gotten in trouble with the law.....don't know if that's true or not as I haven't watched any Edina games the past few weeks.

I taught at Mankato West during the 2001-2002 school year. I just realized that Walz was there at the same time. Our paths maybe crossed once or twice now that I think of it (he might have ran a March Madness pool IIRC). Small world indeed.

You can't make this stuff up! Sounds like the kind of thing movies are made of. Call it Senior Year Sadness maybe?

Was she a 10? A f-ckin 10!

Forest Lake 7-0 Eagan
East Ridge over Lakeville North 41-17

Top Bottom