2023 Recruiting

Here is the good and bad (for now) for class of 2023.

In teams of in-state

Bad:
three of four top players in the class have committed out of state.

#2 Instate- Taylor Woodson- Michigan
#3 Instate- NuNu Agara- Stanford
#4 Instate- Kennedy Sanders- Colorado

Good:

The #1 player in the state, Tessa Johnson, is still on the board and heavily considering Gophers. She is close with 2022 commits Mara Braun and Amaya Battle so some feel Gophers are the favorite to land her, however as we have learned as Gopher fans, nothing is official till it's official.

Audi Crooks recently visited, a fantastic post player in the midwest. It has been stated she is not wanting to travel a far distance from Home, and her HS is about 3 hours from Williams Arena so not exactly a distance that could remove them from consideration.

Here is the known offers/still out there for class of 2023. Overall guessing a 2-3 player class, maybe even 1-2 and leaving openings for transfer portal.

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-
St. Michael/Albertville-5’9 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 32 (out of Super 60)

Jasmine Brown, 5’9 G, Joliet Catholic HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #44 (out of Super 60)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA) ESPN Ranked #54 (out of Super 60)

Janae Kent, 6’1 W, Oak Forest HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #57 (out of Super 60)

Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN) ESPN Ranked #58 (out of Super 60)

Audi Crooks, 6’3 P, Bishop Garrigan HS (IA) ESPN Ranked #59 (out of Super 60)

Logan Nissley, 5’10 G, Century HS (ND)

Alyssa Latham, 6’1 F, Homewood-Flossmoor HS (IL)
Bump up. This is a great thread. Later mentioned in this thread, Crooks committed elsewhere.

Since offers could start coming with AAU Live periods going on, Here is the recap of known offers for the class of 2023. There are six known right now and it's likely not a secret that Tessa must be their top target. I could even see them saying If they get Tessa, thats all they need for class of 2023 and the rest in portal.

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-
St. Michael/Albertville-5’11 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 32 (out of Super 60)

Jasmine Brown, 5’9 G, Joliet Catholic HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #44 (out of Super 60)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA) ESPN Ranked #54 (out of Super 60)

Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN) ESPN Ranked #58 (out of Super 60)

Alyssa Latham, 6’1 F, Homewood-Flossmoor HS (IL)

Video Post Forward Allie Pollock

Here's an unranked 6' 1" post forward prospect to look at. She's made some honorable mention and top performer lists.

She's Allie Pollock of Lakeside High School in Hot Springs Arkansas.

Points/Game: 8
Season High Points: 11
Rebounds/Game: 8
Season High Rebounds: 11
Assists/Game: 3
Season High Assists: 5
Steals/Game:: 4
Blocks/Game:8
Field Goal Pct: .80
Free Throw Pct: .903
Point FG's: 153
Point FG Pct.70
Games Played: 26

Not the ideal Big Ten prospect and yet Gophers need to look harder at under the radar coachable 6' 1" post prospects like this. Like overlooked BIG Monika Czinano who was hardly recruited and now an all-star. I don't pretend to be an expert, to be clear.

Curious as to how she came to your attention? and what makes you interested in her as a good prospect? I would say her Blocks/Game are eye popping especially for someone who is 6'1", which is taller than average but hardly unusual.

If the Gophers are lucky enough to sign shooting guard Tessa Johnson, then the Gophers would be a high-powered, high-scoring three-guard offense with Braun, Battle, Johnson and Borowicz.

Advantages of NCAA Three Guards Offense

The Gophers have suffered on defense in recent years using three guards and/or without bigger defenders -- but this is different. Having that kind of talent changes everything.

At worst it makes for a killer guard rotation and fifth (wo)/man.

She was great this weekend, best player in state in the 23 class. Reese Ross from South Dakota who plays on the same North Tartan team was also really good. Could see her possibly getting a Gopher offer.
6' 0" small forward Reese Ross would be a great signing for Minnesota. She came up big in tournament play with rebounds and points.

-23 points and 17 rebounds against Wagner in the semi-finals.

-25 points and 13 rebounds in the state title game against Hamlin.

6' 0" small forward Reese Ross would be a great signing for Minnesota. She came up big in tournament play with rebounds and points.

-23 points and 17 rebounds against Wagner in the semi-finals.

-25 points and 13 rebounds in the state title game against Hamlin.
Reese Ross could be a great sleeper pick for the Gophers.

She played power forward and small forward.

Reese Ross Carries Team to Title

Klick's national profile rose sharply after a strong showing while playing for North Tartan at the Boo Williams national AAU tournament in Virginia in April. "She has gotten the attention of a lot of people,'' said Bill Larson, North Tartan's director. Larson said Klick had offers from Loyola Marymount, Fresno State, Illinois and St. Thomas.

Klick's national profile rose sharply after a strong showing while playing for North Tartan at the Boo Williams national AAU tournament in Virginia in April. "She has gotten the attention of a lot of people,'' said Bill Larson, North Tartan's director. Larson said Klick had offers from Loyola Marymount, Fresno State, Illinois and St. Thomas.
Seeing her play several times, I would say she is better suited for Loyola Marymount, Fresno State, Illinois and St. Thomas., not the Big (I discount Illinois as they are a mess with their recruiting)
.. but great coaches get players that are going to be good 'team' kids especially a MN kid, time will tell. I see her as a role player initially, but these days kids have a hard time with being a role player.. I say role player because when going to the next level you need one part of your game that is as good as anybody else on the team and for Klick the closest attribute or skill she has is maybe defensive quickness.

In the March playoff win against Irondale, Kennedy Klick had 13 points, 1 steal, 4 rebounds, and 6 assists. Her production is sometimes lower and sometimes higher. klick then scored 10 in the subsequent loss to Roseville.

At shooting guard, her length helps her to steal balls and break for a score. Her 3-point shot isn't to ideal SG in the B1G yet. Her profile says she's a combo guard and that she's versatile from point guard to small forward. She has improved her game and will develop with the Gophers, I'm sure.

PrepGirlsHoops likes her and rates her one of the top players in Minnesota, though not nationally ranked, one spot below Kennedy Sanders headed to Colorado (who makes ESPN's top 100), for comparison.

1660090111730.png

Last edited:

Not sure how the Gophers will use her, but I feel like she is still a good get for them. Always want Minnesota kids in the recruiting class. I like that she is a lefty. Just a solid player in the games I’ve watched. Nothing fancy. May or may not help. Would make a great roommate to Johnson 😜. I’m going to continue to hope for that one.

Johnson Excels After Injury

Tessa Johnson is excelling. The #1 Minnesota prospect for 2023 is near the top of national rankings. Johnson has the attention of top programs around the nation.

Yet not long ago, that was in doubt. A "grusome" leg injury catastrophically threatened her health.

As Johnson explains in this video, it was bad, and yet her recovery helped her improve her game.

While watching from the floor, she observed things she hadn't seen before. It made her a better player.

Now she's soaring higher than ever. Her game reached an even higher level this summer.

Johnson just wants her mom and dad to be proud. And her grandparents.

And her surgeon too.

Do we know who the top schools for Tessa Johnson are?
Minnesota, Duke, and Baylor have been floated around the most. Others could still be on her list as its unknown due to her being fairly private about the recruiting process.

Local coverage of McKynnlie Dalan's committment

One current and one former Grays Harbor County area prep athlete recently committed to play at the collegiate level in their respective sports.

Montesano’s Dalan chooses U of Minnesota

Standout Montesano girls basketball player McKynnlie Dalan has committed to play basketball at the University of Minnesota following the 2022-23 school year.

Dalan, a 6-foot-1 senior forward that can attack the basket, as well as hit shots from the perimeter, was named to the 1A Evergreen League First Team last season and was a go-to scorer during the Bulldogs’ run to a fifth-place state trophy.

At one point during the 2021-22 season, Dalan averaged 24 points per game during a four-game stretch deep in the league season.

After her senior season, Dalan will play for the University of Minnesota and its legendary head coach Lindsay Whalen, who will be inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame this year after a decorated WNBA career and two Olympic gold medals.

From a few days back: Jasmine Brown's final six included four B1G teams but not the Gophers

2023 Gopher Commits:

-Kennedy Klick
-McKynnlie Dalan
-Brynn Senden *Preferred Walk-On
-Nią Holloway - Technically will be like a freshman in 23-24 season.

Known offers (Players that were known to have a Gopher offer and either hasn't committed or hasn't put out a list that Gophers are not on.

Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’11 Guard- ESPN Ranked #27 (out of 100)

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 30 (out of 100)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA)

Aiyana Mitchell, 6’4 P, Fountain-Fort Carson HS (CO)

While I am not 100%, I am almost thinking it has got to the point of Tessa or no one else for this class.

2023 Gopher Commits:

-Kennedy Klick
-McKynnlie Dalan
-Brynn Senden *Preferred Walk-On
-Nią Holloway - Technically will be like a freshman in 23-24 season.

Known offers (Players that were known to have a Gopher offer and either hasn't committed or hasn't put out a list that Gophers are not on.

Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’11 Guard- ESPN Ranked #27 (out of 100)

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 30 (out of 100)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA)

Aiyana Mitchell, 6’4 P, Fountain-Fort Carson HS (CO)

While I am not 100%, I am almost thinking it has got to the point of Tessa or no one else for this class.
I would still think that Fiala would be someone high on their list. While we did pick up some size for 2024 I think her size and ability (based on offers) would be hard to turn down.

The Gopher IG account recently started following Sophie Burrows a 6'2" guard out of Australia. She seems pretty highly regarded in Austraila. Heres some recent highlights:

And heres her scoring a bunch in a semi pro league:

Last edited:

Top Bottom