2023 Colorado PF Kadyn Betts commits to Gophers

Maybe you should help make their website relevant since you're such a believer. Right now it's not. Betts high school is in West Virginia right? That's what Prep Hoops says. Laughable. 247, Rivals, even Verbal Commits can get that right. Prep Hoops can't.
Technically none of the sites have his school right then since hes transferring to Huntington Prep in West Virginia for his senior year.

Technically none of the sites have his school right then since hes transferring to Huntington Prep in West Virginia for his senior year.
Yeah it’s hard to keep accurate databases when they are that large and fluid no matter what the site.

Yeah it’s hard to keep accurate databases when they are that large and fluid no matter what the site.
Especially when I am sure they don't have large staffs to stay on top of things. Easy to see why things would get missed and mistakes would get made.

Mainly any Midwest guy. They are all pretty much vastly underrated in 247. That's my complaint is that Bossi has others in his ears from other regions that carry too much weight while Ryan James who travels nationally as well doesn't. Payne was grossly underrated in 247. Carrington and King were as well. Johnnie Davis and Suggs were more correctly ranked in Prep Hoops and lower in 247. DJ Jefferson is one of the worst rankings I've seen in a long time on 247 and is a classic example of Tennessee guys getting their hooks into someone at 247 and Bossi letting it happen. Prince Aligbe is also vastly overrated. There are some obvious gross oversites on preps and I don't disagree with that. The fact they still have Shaedon Sharpe as their 1 in 2023 is awful and why I said if I was just an average fan, I'd look at 247, but it needs to be taken with a grain of salt with Midwest recruits at this time. This isn't untrue of any national ranking systems especially since covid slowed down the national circuits.

If you are talking about the last 10 years of recruiting, then yes it has been poor and it's a big reason we are where we are in terms of the B1G. We cannot truly rank Ben's yet however as it's too soon. This freshman class will easily outperform its ranking and I don't think it'll be close because of how poorly ranked they were.
I don’t fully agree with you about 247 in the Midwest. Covid affecting circuits tainted the rankings a bit but Pharrell was underrated bc he wasn’t as good the year before. They corrected his ranking once they got to see him more live vs top comp. King was coming off an injury so his ranking make sense & Carrington is properly rated by 247. Prep hoops caters to locals as well. Ahjany Lee was rated above Pharrell on prep hoops. Also even the local rankings are very biased for certain AAU programs and schools imo

I don’t fully agree with you about 247 in the Midwest. Covid affecting circuits tainted the rankings a bit but Pharrell was underrated bc he wasn’t as good the year before. They corrected his ranking once they got to see him more live vs top comp. King was coming off an injury so his ranking make sense & Carrington is properly rated by 247. Prep hoops caters to locals as well. Ahjany Lee was rated above Pharrell on prep hoops. Also even the local rankings are very biased for certain AAU programs and schools imo
Yeah I’m by no way saying preps hoops is the end all be all, but Ryan James makes most of those rankings for MN and he watches the most locally. He doesn’t get as much say in 247. Payne is a top 100 kid and he proved it by beating up on kids more highly ranked all last summer. 247 moved him up but not enough imo.

Yeah I’m by no way saying preps hoops is the end all be all, but Ryan James makes most of those rankings for MN and he watches the most locally. He doesn’t get as much say in 247. Payne is a top 100 kid and he proved it by beating up on kids more highly ranked all last summer. 247 moved him up but not enough imo.
I think Pharrell fall somewhere in the 90-125 range but ranking accuracy from that point on is super subjective bc the talent levels are close. If 247 listed Pharrell as a 2 star then I would be more upset. Taisom Chatman is top 35 right now on 247 which I believe is accurate and easier to get right bc of 2 summers of circuit play compared to what last year class that had 1

Fleckoff has been banned for his absolutely deplorable language. We also deleted many posts in this thread to clean it up.
too funny. I hear worse when i watch The Inbetweeners

no path for contrition or redemption? your board your rules. outie

too funny. I hear worse when i watch The Inbetweeners

no path for contrition or redemption? your board your rules. outie
Board lost a lot of good info as well. I’m all for regulating and now allowing the language, but the board got more curmudgeony, negative, and plain wrong without him

Board lost a lot of good info as well. I’m all for regulating and now allowing the language, but the board got more curmudgeony, negative, and plain wrong without him
Most bans aren't permanent. But he absolutely deserved one for the comments he made because they were way over the line. Seemed out of character for that particular poster so maybe he cleans it up and comes back when the ban is lifted.

What was the gist of what Fleckoff said? I did not see it, but up to this point had found him to be a knowledgeable guy.

What was the gist of what Fleckoff said? I did not see it, but up to this point had found him to be a knowledgeable guy.
I generally appreciated his contributions too. He was arguing against the idea that Prep Hoops isn't worth paying attention to, the context of the argument coming from the fact that Prep Hoops rates Kadyn Betts as a top 100 prospect, while he is merely a 2 star on 247 at the moment.

I think Fleckoff was arguing that Prep Hoops might have better contributions from local evaluators, where 247's evaluators take a more national focus, and could overlook players who don't play for big name, shoe sponsored AAU teams, resulting in either outdated evaluations, or no evaluations at all, on players like Betts, or Pharrel Payne or Braeden Carrington, who were 0 star recruits on 247 even after receiving high major offers. And I think GWG was arguing that 247 has better, more trustworthy evaluators than Prep Hoops, and that the only reason anyone here would take Prep Hoops seriously is due to homerish bias because Prep Hoops rates our guys higher than 247. I was kind of siding with Fleckoff for most of it, but then he tossed out a couple of homophobic insults that went over the line. I hope the ban is only temporary.

I generally appreciated his contributions too. He was arguing against the idea that Prep Hoops isn't worth paying attention to, the context of the argument coming from the fact that Prep Hoops rates Kadyn Betts as a top 100 prospect, while he is merely a 2 star on 247 at the moment.

I think Fleckoff was arguing that Prep Hoops might have better contributions from local evaluators, where 247's evaluators take a more national focus, and could overlook players who don't play for big name, shoe sponsored AAU teams, resulting in either outdated evaluations, or no evaluations at all, on players like Betts, or Pharrel Payne or Braeden Carrington, who were 0 star recruits on 247 even after receiving high major offers. And I think GWG was arguing that 247 has better, more trustworthy evaluators than Prep Hoops, and that the only reason anyone here would take Prep Hoops seriously is due to homerish bias because Prep Hoops rates our guys higher than 247. I was kind of siding with Fleckoff for most of it, but then he tossed out a couple of homophobic insults that went over the line. I hope the ban is only temporary.

Does Marsha still have a crush on the HS QB?
What hijinks are Bobby & Cindy up to?
Will Alice ever get that counter clean?

Q&A: 2023 recruit Kadyn Betts on committing to Gophers basketball program​

We caught up with Betts to hear why the Gophers are the right fit and to find out how hard it was to say no to other schools, like Colorado State.

Betts will play for Huntington Prep in West Virginia, the school that produced NBA champion Andrew Wiggins, for his senior season. He wants to get more competition before joining the Big Ten.

Betts was a first-team all-state as a junior, and was a three-year starter at Pueblo Central high school.

This past season, the 6-foot-8 forward led his high school to the Class 4A Final Four, where they were beaten by eventual state champion Lewis-Palmer.

Go Gophers!!

It will be interesting to see how he does in prep school. The AAU team he is on is playing at a lower level and his high school is a lower level.

Ben sees the potential so I trust the evaluation and hope that Kaydn adjusts to the speed of the B1G.

Top Bottom