2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Still waiting for someone to point out all the Johnson apologists. The AD didn't fire him so he is going to be our coach this coming season. So there are those of us that are willing to let things play out and hope for the best. Not sure that qualifies as being an apologist or having unwavering support for the head coach.
Gotta let things play out and see if the team is any good.

Nothing could more accurately describe the hole Johnson and Coyle have dug for MN basketball than to seriously propose that 9 wins would get Johnson named Coach of the Year.
Well, the proposal was a bit quixotic, but I strongly believe that you'll be able to come up with more accurate descriptions of the hole Johnson and Coyle have dug for MN basketball than I did. And it will probably be soon.

I have zero credibility, but I’d think tomorrow or Monday at the earliest.

I’d take tonight though.
Pride following Fox, Ihnen, Garcia, Evenson (gopher basketball manager), AND Darius Brown on Instagram tell me all I need to know.

I think they’re both committing to the 2024 CBI 3rd place golden gophers

NCAA tournament and/or enough growth to demonstrate a real foundation being set. I’m not seeing either.
If we get Pride and Brown do you see the possibility of it?

If we get Pride and Brown do you see the possibility of it?
Hope would be more rational than it is now. That’s based on assuming that a decent non con schedule and record and being top 8 in conference gets you close if not in most years. I think guards who can guard and shoot lift the floor of this team a lot.

Getting any two guards that can breathe will give me more hope. Top half of the conference? That’s pretty ambitious.

If the Gophers even sniff the top 7 next season it’s been a banner campaign. Getting out of Weakling Wednesday would definitely give me reason for optimism in 2024-25.

Getting any two guards that can breathe will give me more hope. Top half of the conference? That’s pretty ambitious.

If the Gophers even sniff the top 7 next season it’s been a banner campaign. Getting out of Weakling Wednesday would definitely give me reason for optimism in 2024-25.
Agreed on one level but it has to be qualified HOW they get out of Weakling Wednesday. If it’s because of players who are on the way out the door, my optimism is limited. If it’s because of players remaining in the program and that the staff is showing some semblance of system and identity, I’m in.

There is always a team that leaps. Why not us?

Agreed on one level but it has to be qualified HOW they get out of Weakling Wednesday. If it’s because of players who are on the way out the door, my optimism is limited. If it’s because of players remaining in the program and that the staff is showing some semblance of system and identity, I’m in.

There is always a team that leaps. Why not us?
I look at it this way- we could get both. Christie and Betts have a lot of potential but we shouldn't be depending on them to cause the big jump. It should be the improvement of returners + the addition of some veterans + the addition of the frosh. If we make a big jump because of the veterans added and we also see the potential of the guys who are the future.....

I agree- why not us?

Looks like it's public that Bairstow is going to follow his coach to VCU.
We are close to entering Charlie Daniels time. If Brown follows his coach and we better hope we beat Rhode Island for Pride. Don’t know if there are any more players we are pursuing and have a chance at?

We are close to entering Charlie Daniels time. If Brown follows his coach and we better hope we beat Rhode Island for Pride. Don’t know if there are any more players we are pursuing and have a chance at?
I feel like we're in good shape with Pride. Miss on him, and it'll feel pretty bleak.

Still think we need another guy that can handle the ball. I’m not ready for us to grind another PG into the ground playing 35-40 min. per night.

Really hope we can get Brown.
Can Pride handle the ball?

Can Pride handle the ball?
I've only seen a few highlights, but from that and his advanced stats, I'd guess he is decent ball handler for a wing but he wouldn't be facilitator.

He has slightly more assists than turnovers, his usage rate is typical of a wing, and about 40% of his shots come from 3. That's the profile of a typical wing, but maybe more of a 3&D type of a player than someone who could be a combo guard.

Top Bottom