2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

We are going to get more players and I hope good ones. However, I would say that right now- I already like this year's team better than last with what we have (that's not saying much).

Starters for the moment
Payne The first 4 guys will be better than they were last year
Garcia
JOJ
Carrington
Mitchell Mitchell will be better than Cooper

Bench Better depth than last year and both Betts and Christie can shoot it
Betts
Christie
Ihnen
Fox
Wilson

Get two good guards- such as Pride and Brown or the Aussie and I feel really good about taking a nice jump. Good enough? Not sure.

What do you mean used in the best way available? I agree poor coaching in allowed to operate part.
Garcia was better at the 4. Therefore, the position available for Battle was wing.

It's kind of sad that there are a few that are so down on things that even suggesting things like this makes you into some sort of Ben Johnson apologist who will support the coach in everything he does and says in their eyes.
A safe bet? Ihnen was worse his 2nd year than he was as a freshman with good knees, and now he's also a safe bet to add value post 2 knee surgeries?
Yes, safe bet if he is good to go. This is a different team than the last time he was on the floor. Teammates are different, he is older and more mature, his understanding of the game is different after two years of watching and he brings leadership like Curry did after injury.

We are going to get more players and I hope good ones. However, I would say that right now- I already like this year's team better than last with what we have (that's not saying much).

Starters for the moment
Garcia
JOJ
Carrington

Betts
Christie
Ihnen
Fox
Wilson

Get two good guards- such as Pride and Brown or the Aussie and I feel really good about taking a nice jump. Good enough? Not sure.
Who is the Aussie?

Starters for the moment
Garcia
JOJ
Carrington

Betts
Christie
Ihnen
Fox
Wilson

Improvement to 4-5 B1G wins. Is that good enough?

In my estimation it wouldn't be good enough, and if it's at 4 wins-Johnson should be gone. But I agree that the talent and also the experience level should be much improved.

And at the risk of being a "Ben apologist" I think we'll find out that Johnson seems like a lot better coach when he has talent and experience on the floor.

No. I am on record as saying that Ben should not have been hired. I am hopeful he can get this done and the roster next year should be improved and I hope that Ben is as well. They had better be one of the best defensive teams in the league. If they are- they could surprise.

That's quite a jump-how about 6-7 next year and 9-10 the next? Good enough for you? If he gets 9 next year he's coach of the year-that would probably upset a lot of people here.
If you think winning upsets people you might be insane. Now if one fluke winning season prolongs an inevitable firing, then yeah it would probably upset people in hindsight. 9 wins would still be a losing record in conference, doubt he gets COY for a season like that. Pitino had to at least have a winning record and place top 4 in conference to win it after coming off a historically bad year.

That's quite a jump-how about 6-7 next year and 9-10 the next? Good enough for you? If he gets 9 next year he's coach of the year-that would probably upset a lot of people here.
curious about 2 seasons ahead, after UCLA and USC join. do we know how many conference games will be played?

If you think winning upsets people you might be insane. Now if one fluke winning season prolongs an inevitable firing, then yeah it would probably upset people in hindsight. 9 wins would still be a losing record in conference, doubt he gets COY for a season like that. Pitino had to at least have a winning record and place top 4 in conference to win it after coming off a historically bad year.
If he won 9 and was named coach of the year it might be more accurate to say there may be people around here eating some crow, rather than just being upset. I think most people recognize that this team (especially assuming he can get at least one more quality guard) should have more talent and depth this year than the previous 2 years.

That may make a difference in his "perceived coaching ability". But I give you credit, you diagnosed my insanity for believing that 9 wins would make it uncomfortable for people who believe Johnson is a complete buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing. It doesn't fit their narrative.

If he won 9 and was named coach of the year it might be more accurate to say there may be people around here eating some crow, rather than just being upset. I think most people recognize that this team (especially assuming he can get at least one more quality guard) should have more talent and depth this year than the previous 2 years.

That may make a difference in his "perceived coaching ability". But I give you credit, you diagnosed my insanity for believing that 9 wins would make it uncomfortable for people who believe Johnson is a complete buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing. It doesn't fit their narrative.
Everyone wants to see Ben coach well and win games. There was just no reason to think he could win, and he has done very little since being hired to prove otherwise. 9 wins would feel like the final four at this point, but at this juncture that would just keep him from being fired. He would still have to build on that the following season put people at ease.

Battle had a down year due to a combination of injuries, personal issues and lack of competent PG play. It's also very likely he would have had a bounce back if he'd stayed. His leaving is still a big loss IMO.
He is a loss until we see if players replacing him are as good or better. It is highly likely that his replacement will be a significant improvement in the defensive end, and not a stretch to think it will be a wash on offensive end compared to 22-23. Compared to 21-22, I also think it can be a wash because I think Battle is a product of better players.

Willis made him better, and if Mitchell or someone else plays well like that drawing the top perimeter defender the coming year, anyone replacing Battle will benefit as Battle would have. Even if they are not as strong on the offensive end, the improvement they will bring on defensive end will make it even. So, all that said, it’s likely whoever steps in for Battle will be better all-around.

Everyone wants to see Ben coach well and win games. There was just no reason to think he could win, and he has done very little since being hired to prove otherwise. 9 wins would feel like the final four at this point, but at this juncture that would just keep him from being fired. He would still have to build on that the following season put people at ease.
I don't disagree with anything you just said, although I'm not completely sure about the "Everyone wants to see him coach well and win games" part. It may be that they're just so frustrated that they say he never should have been hired and he stinks as a coach and should be gone now. I really want to see what he can do with some talent, and if he doesn't produce this year, he'll be gone.

When he has some talent on the floor and his team is failing, then there is a case to make. Let's see what he does with some talent this year.

Folks that say things like the reference to winning know the odds are long and the performance thus far has been disastrous.

If. Assuming.

Mnvcguy clone.

Garcia was better at the 4. Therefore, the position available for Battle was wing.
Yes, and Battle played the same position offensively both years. He just was defended by better players because Willis was not on the floor to draw that defender. Defensively he was covered up both years the best the staff could.

I don't disagree with anything you just said, although I'm not completely sure about the "Everyone wants to see him coach well and win games" part. It may be that they're just so frustrated that they say he never should have been hired and he stinks as a coach and should be gone now. I really want to see what he can do with some talent, and if he doesn't produce this year, he'll be gone.

When he has some talent on the floor and his team is failing, then there is a case to make. Let's see what he does with some talent this year.
He never should have been hired. Another epic fail by Mn administration.

If. Assuming.

Mnvcguy clone.
Actually, I wasn't assuming anything, I don't think they'll win 9 games. Hey Crappie, go ahead and give your opinions, but at least read what you're commenting on, could you? Nothing personal.

Top Bottom