2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Musselman would have been a home run hire even four years ago. Dutcher would have a solid pick as well. However, we don't need a home run as much as a developer. We need to find the right guy with head coaching experience who has had to develop with fewer resources. The women's coach is an example of a coach who had to build programs at various stops where her programs didn't have the most resources compared to her peers.
Lol!!! If we weren’t hiring CBJ we needed a home run. Only Dutcher or Musselman. Period. Blame the U not the coach they hired.

Nope.

They probably have a fancy business school and law school that bolsters their reputation and image. But their actual undergrad program isn’t any more rigorous than going to the U, Wisc, etc.

Guessing none of the bball guys are in law school or rigorous MBA/professional business school programs.
Northwestern is so much better than the University. And it is more rigorous. And it is filled with students who are extremely bright. They don't give out academic merit scholarships despite costing a fortune because so many top kids are lining up to beg to be admitted. I'm in this business. The U and Northwestern are not even on the same playing field academically. I've taken classes from professors in both schools. Northwestern smokes the U academically.

Minnesota's acceptance rate is 73.2%, Chicago is 6% and Northwestern is 9% Harvard's is 4%. Three of these schools are similiar and one doesn't belong in the same group.
That's because smarter people apply to Minnesota than the other 3 slugs. Just kidding. Had to say it.

That's because smarter people apply to Minnesota than the other 3 slugs. Just kidding. Had to say it.
It's not a knock on Minnesota. Minnesota is a great school but academically Northwestern is elite.

Lol!!! If we weren’t hiring CBJ we needed a home run. Only Dutcher or Musselman. Period. Blame the U not the coach they hired.
Dennis Gates, who I was nervous about for his relative lack of experience, had a great turnaround at Missouri which was in similar to worse shape than Minnesota and was worse than Minnesota in Ben's first year. Otz would been an underwhelming hire and he's in the process of lapping Ben for the third time. It would be hard to argue Shrewsberry wouldn't have done more at Minnesota than he did at Penn State. A very accomplished coach in Ben Howland went to one NCAA tournament in 7 years at Miss State, and Chris Jans tied that record in his first season. Marquette and Minnesota were very similar in the Woj/Pitino eras and Shaka (maybe he would have been considered a home run?) has also been much better. This is just off the top of my head, even the coaches hired in the same cycle as Ben at schools that have been really, really bad over the last decade plus like BC and DePaul have made improvements over what those schools were previously. It's not very hard to suggest literally any of these coaches would have improved on Pitino's tenure at Minnesota. All of these guys fall somewhere behind Muss in prestige/track record and well above Ben Johnson.

Dennis Gates, who I was nervous about for his relative lack of experience, had a great turnaround at Missouri which was in similar to worse shape than Minnesota and was worse than Minnesota in Ben's first year. Otz would been an underwhelming hire and he's in the process of lapping Ben for the third time. It would be hard to argue Shrewsberry wouldn't have done more at Minnesota than he did at Penn State. A very accomplished coach in Ben Howland went to one NCAA tournament in 7 years at Miss State, and Chris Jans tied that record in his first season. Marquette and Minnesota were very similar in the Woj/Pitino eras and Shaka (maybe he would have been considered a home run?) has also been much better. This is just off the top of my head, even the coaches hired in the same cycle as Ben at schools that have been really, really bad over the last decade plus like BC and DePaul have made improvements over what those schools were previously. It's not very hard to suggest literally any of these coaches would have improved on Pitino's tenure at Minnesota. All of these guys fall somewhere behind Muss in prestige/track record and well above Ben Johnson.
I think someone needs to inform you of the "reality" discussed in that other thread. Finishing any higher than 15th in a 14-team league is simply impossible.

Minnesota's acceptance rate is 73.2%, Chicago is 6% and Northwestern is 9% Harvard's is 4%. Three of these schools are similiar and one doesn't belong in the same group.

He couldn’t get into Northwestern (Roseville) and is still pissed.

I think someone needs to inform you of the "reality" discussed in that other thread. Finishing any higher than 15th in a 14-team league is simply impossible.

He was 2 busy sticking pins in his CBJ voodoo doll to notice🤠

Last edited:

Negativity you fool. Just wanted to beat mnvcguy to the punch.

I have no disagreement with the rest, but I tripped over the bolded part. The situation at PSU was better than Minnesota from a roster talent and continuity standpoint, and he was able to supplement that with portal talent from nearby mid majors like Siena, Bucknell, and Drexel. I do not think he would have done better at Minnesota than PSU.

However, I do believe he'd have done better than Johnson, Maybe that's what you meant to say, but it reads differently.

I have no disagreement with the rest, but I tripped over the bolded part. The situation at PSU was better than Minnesota from a roster talent and continuity standpoint, and he was able to supplement that with portal talent from nearby mid majors like Siena, Bucknell, and Drexel. I do not think he would have done better at Minnesota than PSU.

However, I do believe he'd have done better than Johnson, Maybe that's what you meant to say, but it reads differently.

There were only 2 holdovers from this past team, that played on the team before Shrewsbury arrived at PSU. So, yes, while that is a better situation, it should also be noted that he should receive credit for getting those couple of guys to stay. Lundy entered the portal, Shrewsbury convinced him to stay. Shrewsbury also convinced Harrah to stay on the 2022 team.

Johnson was able to only keep Ihnen. And unfortunately, that's been a waste. If we had hired Shrewsbury, I do believe that we would have made the tournament in one of these last two years. He's better at getting guys in the portal, getting HS recruits, and is a MUCH better coach.

There were only 2 holdovers from this past team, that played on the team before Shrewsbury arrived at PSU. So, yes, while that is a better situation, it should also be noted that he should receive credit for getting those couple of guys to stay. Lundy entered the portal, Shrewsbury convinced him to stay. Shrewsbury also convinced Harrah to stay on the 2022 team.

Johnson was able to only keep Ihnen. And unfortunately, that's been a waste. If we had hired Shrewsbury, I do believe that we would have made the tournament in one of these last two years. He's better at getting guys in the portal, getting HS recruits, and is a MUCH better coach.
No disagreement (well, except with making the tournament with the Gophers - it's at least plausible, though).

But the previous poster said it was hard to argue that Shrewsberry wouldn't have done better at MN than he did at PSU. I think that's very debatable.

The U smokes all three in research. Not even close.

Which matters more to college basketball?

The entire point of the NW comparison is NIL: they don’t even have a collective set up yet.

They proved this season that you can win in the Big Ten without having big NIL.

The fallacy was trying to say something like “but they get these special smart kids we could never get”. Maybe that’s true (doubt it), but does that even matter for being a better (college) basketball player? Suspect

Top Bottom