2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

1100 in the portal probably on the way to 1800

about 230 freshmen and RS freshman
about 520 sophomores and RS sophomores

that's a lot of underclassmen looking for a new home. no idea how many were walk ons vs scholarships

The primary players Johnson has been recruiting are sophs. If they weren't around in 2021, they'll have two years of eligibility left. Good time to transfer and a good time to recruit players.

I don't think the portal will get to 1800.

Have you watched their home games? They sell out on the regular and the energy is palpable (at least from the tv perspective).
I will give you they sell out every game but would bet they do for every other sport as well. Football, Volleyball and even Baseball has more support. I thought Miles was better for their basketball program than Hoiberg.

1100 in the portal probably on the way to 1800

about 230 freshmen and RS freshman
about 520 sophomores and RS sophomores

that's a lot of underclassmen looking for a new home. no idea how many were walk ons vs scholarships
Someone will want to research how many are overlooked guys who played well at mid and low majors and are looking to move up, and how many are dissatisfied at high majors and going down. Then there are those who are being forced out and won’t land anywhere. Like most stories, we only hear about the few newsmakers but that rarely tells the bigger picture.

Someone will want to research how many are overlooked guys who played well at mid and low majors and are looking to move up, and how many are dissatisfied at high majors and going down. Then there are those who are being forced out and won’t land anywhere. Like most stories, we only hear about the few newsmakers but that rarely tells the bigger picture.
a small add to this. read today (but haven't verified) that no top 50 kids are starters in the final four and 35% of the starters were unranked. there is talent out there

a small add to this. read today (but haven't verified) that no top 50 kids are starters in the final four and 35% of the starters were unranked. there is talent out there
And very experienced. Will be interesting to see if this settles when five year eligibility sifts out. NIL might keep some around who would not have before, upgrading both talent and experience.

My thoughts are, how are those studies relevant to college athletes? I had very different thoughts while I was picking a college compared to where I wanted to be when raising my kids and now that the kids are gone. If I was back in HS looking for a college and some college in say Warroad, MN had a great team and needed my talents, I may consider going there. Living there and starting a career after college? Probably not. Moving there now as a retired guy? Sure, why not. I like to snowmobile. I believe Ben has many things to sell. P6 program, immediate playing time (for some of his targets), Tough competition, visability, great school, fun metro area, strong returning front court with Garcia and Payne.

Sure nuance and planning is not the strong point of many young adults and some might not give a rats ass about anything more than how good the team is they will join, but that wasn't the argument that made me decide to chime in. The argument was more along the lines of how big of a draw Minnesota is. Even if all they care about is the team it doesn't mean you don't try to sell them on what you have and maybe something will hook 'em.

The criteria these studies use are generally the same and like the structure and utilities of a building, the better they are the better the building and the better the building can function for the inhabitants. Examples of the measures these studies use are.

I was not looking to go to a school where I planned on settling down either (I did not go to the U for my undergrad degree) but even I knew at the time that I wanted a good education and that required a community that valued education. I also wanted to do activities outside and that required good parks. I relied on public transportation or driving and the better the infrastructure the more pleasant both of those things were. One doesn't have to think too hard when trying to sell a kid on how all of these measures can enhance their experience whether directly or indirectly.

That doesn't surprise me. During their last game, I looked up two Miami guys (Jordan Miller and Norchad Omier) who were really good for them in the tournament. Neither one received a single Power 6 conference offer coming out of high school. I don't know how much of this kind of thing is due to bad ratings and how much is due to people being late bloomers. Trouble is these guys are really tough to get as transfers once they show what they can do in college.

A better coach, a better team, better facilities, and better weather.
1. Hoiberg is proven to be crap. Probably does less with more than any coach in the B10.
2. We just beat them on weakling Wednesday. They aren’t good.
3. Maybe better. Depends on taste.
4. Nebraska is a tropical paradise. LOL
5. Have you been to Lincoln? It’s the armpit of America.

And yet we can’t get a visit from Keirsa??? Pisses me off.

Sure nuance and planning is not the strong point of many young adults and some might not give a rats ass about anything more than how good the team is they will join, but that wasn't the argument that made me decide to chime in. The argument was more along the lines of how big of a draw Minnesota is. Even if all they care about is the team it doesn't mean you don't try to sell them on what you have and maybe something will hook 'em.

The criteria these studies use are generally the same and like the structure and utilities of a building, the better they are the better the building and the better the building can function for the inhabitants. Examples of the measures these studies use are.

I was not looking to go to a school where I planned on settling down either (I did not go to the U for my undergrad degree) but even I knew at the time that I wanted a good education and that required a community that valued education. I also wanted to do activities outside and that required good parks. I relied on public transportation or driving and the better the infrastructure the more pleasant both of those things were. One doesn't have to think too hard when trying to sell a kid on how all of these measures can enhance their experience whether directly or indirectly.
None of this gets around the fact that Minneapolis is NOT a draw to people. Almost everyone you meet in the Twin Cities is from the Twin Cities or from 6 hours of the Twin Cities. That's okay. It's not a rip on the area at all. But I just find it odd how much Minnesotans dig into this idea that no one should miss their chance to live here.

Additionally, nothing is stopping older people from moving here either. No one is retiring in Minneapolis. It's not that the untrained eye of youth is missing out on the precious gold mine that is Minneapolis. It's just simply not a draw and I'm not sure you want it to be.

Maybe you're arguing it should be a draw? I don't know.

Additionally, nothing is stopping older people from moving here either. No one is retiring in Minneapolis.

Well, some senior citizens who live there already are retiring in Minneapolis but, yes, I wouldn't see Minneapolis as a place for senior citizens to migrate. It has two characteristics that are kind of an anathema to senior citizen: high cost of living and public safety concerns. One of its primary attractions, night life, usually isn't a big draw for them.

I've been mildly surprised, though, how many senior citizens I've seen in St. Paul's Mears Park when I've attended summer concerts there.

WTH? 10 ppg. 2.5 rpg and 5 assists on a top 5 team in the nations is shit. Your credibility is gone.

I didn't say he was shit. I said he wasn't "that great." Nothing to get too upset about because he went somewhere else. Being on a top 5 team helps the assist numbers.

1. Hoiberg is proven to be crap. Probably does less with more than any coach in the B10.
2. We just beat them on weakling Wednesday. They aren’t good.
3. Maybe better. Depends on taste.
4. Nebraska is a tropical paradise. LOL
5. Have you been to Lincoln? It’s the armpit of America.

And yet we can’t get a visit from Keirsa??? Pisses me off.

I never said Hoiberg was a good coach, just that he's better than Ben. Which he is and it's not close. Ben is also 1-3 vs Fred.

Who said Lincoln is a tropical paradise? It's significantly less snowy and warmer than Minneapolis. I've been to Lincoln many times, it's a nice college town. Some prefer college towns over large metro areas. It's far from the armpit of America.

I didn't say he was shit. I said he wasn't "that great." Nothing to get too upset about because he went somewhere else. Being on a top 5 team helps the assist numbers.
Also helps when he has great players around him drawing in the defense so he gets good looks. His numbers are inflated due to being on a great team, one that has one of the best offenses in the country.

I never said Hoiberg was a good coach, just that he's better than Ben. Which he is and it's not close. Ben is also 1-3 vs Fred.

Who said Lincoln is a tropical paradise? It's significantly less snowy and warmer than Minneapolis. I've been to Lincoln many times, it's a nice college town. Some prefer college towns over large metro areas. It's far from the armpit of America.
It’s not even close is a joke. 1-3 is nothing. Fred isn’t a good coach at all. Jury is still out on Ben. Tim Miles was a better fit at Nebraska. I agree Lincoln is not the armpit of America.

They don't love it enough to move there. They are being polite because we are from Minnesota. You go to Chicago, New York, Scottsdale/Phx, Austin, etc., you meet people who actually MOVED to those cities that aren't from 6 hours away.

I'm not saying people don't think "hey, you know, Minneapolis isn't a bad city". I think people do like it when they move here. However, I think there are very few people who aren't from within 6 hours who move to the Twin Cities.
I know quite a few people at Target, Medtronic, and others who have relocated from more than 6 hours away. Scottsdale, yes, one of the fastest growing areas. Austin, similar. I could add Nashville, Raleigh…

Yet, the city and metro area is still a positive selling point, and it’s not just people being polite.

Well, some senior citizens who live there already are retiring in Minneapolis but, yes, I wouldn't see Minneapolis as a place for senior citizens to migrate. It has two characteristics that are kind of an anathema to senior citizen: high cost of living and public safety concerns. One of its primary attractions, night life, usually isn't a big draw for them.

I've been mildly surprised, though, how many senior citizens I've seen in St. Paul's Mears Park when I've attended summer concerts there.
Yeah, people who have always lived in Minnesota retire in Minnesota. No one moves here to retire.

None of this gets around the fact that Minneapolis is NOT a draw to people. Almost everyone you meet in the Twin Cities is from the Twin Cities or from 6 hours of the Twin Cities. That's okay. It's not a rip on the area at all. But I just find it odd how much Minnesotans dig into this idea that no one should miss their chance to live here.

Additionally, nothing is stopping older people from moving here either. No one is retiring in Minneapolis. It's not that the untrained eye of youth is missing out on the precious gold mine that is Minneapolis. It's just simply not a draw and I'm not sure you want it to be.

Maybe you're arguing it should be a draw? I don't know.
my last post on this.

Yes, it can be a draw but not for everyone, this is recruiting, find who it is a good fit. Proximity to home, climate and niche activities matter and Minnesota may not fit those for everyone but it has the most important things a community needs for a good quality of life relative to most. I for one, have no interest in living in Arizona or most southern states.
As far as people not moving here, it must depend on the crowd a person hangs with because about 25% of my friends aren’t from here and only one of the guys in the group I play basketball with is from Minnesota.

It’s not even close is a joke. 1-3 is nothing. Fred isn’t a good coach at all. Jury is still out on Ben. Tim Miles was a better fit at Nebraska. I agree Lincoln is not the armpit of America.

Let me know when Ben goes to the NCAA tournament 4 out of 5 years, including a sweet 16 appearance, or coaches a NBA playoff team.

Yeah, it's not close.

Ben is a known qty at this point and he's worth a half penny

Also helps when he has great players around him drawing in the defense so he gets good looks. His numbers are inflated due to being on a great team, one that has one of the best offenses in the country.
He was a finalist for the Bob Cousy award for best PG in college basketball........yeah, we don't need him. SMH

Top Bottom