2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Pierre played the new providence coach and the coach won….whatever that means

Can't say I'm that surprised. Kim English was a very good player; good enough to get drafted (although he didn't stick in the league long) and he's only 34.

I know quite a few people at Target, Medtronic, and others who have relocated from more than 6 hours away. Scottsdale, yes, one of the fastest growing areas. Austin, similar. I could add Nashville, Raleigh…

Yet, the city and metro area is still a positive selling point, and it’s not just people being polite.
I think there’s room for both your opinions on this one. Its not a draw without some more knowledge of the area. When people get here, if they like it, they tend to really love it.

Then there are those that want Funkytown.

It really is hard to understand for the the Minneapolis ignorant, what’s the draw.

He was a finalist for the Bob Cousy award for best PG in college basketball........yeah, we don't need him. SMH

I just looked that up and I don't see his name among the five finalists.

2023 Bob Cousy Award Finalists

Markquis NowellKansas State
Tyler KolekMarquette
Boo BuieNorthwestern
Jalen PickettPenn State
Yuri CollinsSt. Louis

Granted, that's a tough group to crack.

I see no evidence that he made any All-Pac 12 teams during his time there either.

Also helps when he has great players around him drawing in the defense so he gets good looks. His numbers are inflated due to being on a great team, one that has one of the best offenses in the country.

I'm also not particularly enthralled by the European players (and I'm including Turkey in there) who play college basketball in the USA. Of course, there are plenty of really good to great European players but the really good ones typically don't play college basketball.

I just looked that up and I don't see his name among the five finalists.

2023 Bob Cousy Award Finalists

Markquis NowellKansas State
Tyler KolekMarquette
Boo BuieNorthwestern
Jalen PickettPenn State
Yuri CollinsSt. Louis

Granted, that's a tough group to crack.

I see no evidence that he made any All-Pac 12 teams during his time there either.

My bad.....he was named among the top 20 on the Cousy watch list.

My point remains....we would/should do cartwheels if he choose the Gophers. And the fact that we can't seem to get a sniff from him and Nebraska can is concerning.

Can't say I'm that surprised. Kim English was a very good player; good enough to get drafted (although he didn't stick in the league long) and he's only 34.
haha well i wasnt questioning Kim English......the whatever that means....was geared towards the idea that they played after Pierre announced he was transfering and that they played with the idea that if English won Pierre would stay and if Pierre won he would leave idea.

Kim English was a heck of a player for Mizzu. i wasnt questioning his abilityh at all

He was a finalist for the Bob Cousy award for best PG in college basketball........yeah, we don't need him. SMH
Of course I would take him. But I think we would need to lower expectations drastically as we wouldn’t be surrounding him with top 5 talent.

Another quality PG in the portal….
Question that needs to be asked- not specific to this player:

Are players with decent stats from terrible teams players we would want? I mean St John’s was awful, there is a reason Rick Pitino would rather burn it to the ground than have these guys.

Question that needs to be asked- not specific to this player:

Are players with decent stats from terrible teams players we would want? I mean St John’s was awful, there is a reason Rick Pitino would rather burn it to the ground than have these guys.
100% that needs to be taken into consideration.

for this guy in particular....has scored 10 plus points, 3 plus rebounds, and 4 plus assists a game, averaged 30 plus minutes a game for 3 straight years.....
51-41 overall record (25-33 in conference)
horrible 3-pt shooter
never watched a single minute of him playing....but he is built like Samuels 😬

I think there’s room for both your opinions on this one. Its not a draw without some more knowledge of the area. When people get here, if they like it, they tend to really love it.

Then there are those that want Funkytown.

It really is hard to understand for the the Minneapolis ignorant, what’s the draw.
Great restaurants, music, lakes, trails for running, hiking and biking, great job market, diversity, etc. Weather sucks for a couple months…

I think it’s true about a lot of places - what’s the draw until you know it. I’ve been to Virginia, Maryland, and Arizona in summer - hated summer weather at each and couldn’t live there. Raleigh? Loved it. Florida - love visiting, could never live there year round. NYC or Chicago? Love them both and could live at both, and know a lot of people who disagree with me.

Nowhere works for everyone. Most places have some draw.

It'll be interesting to see if he struggles athletically as much in the SEC as he did in the B10. He certainly isn't dropping down a level in terms of competition.
I don’t think he’s as bad athletically as many here seem to think. He does struggle to keep people in front of him though. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Moving up I suppose. Lord...

I'd say a lateral transfer. South Carolina was rated in our same general area ( and maybe worse on one or two) by a number of quantitative rating systems this year. The big thing I think is that he's going home. He's from South Carolina.

Great restaurants, music, lakes, trails for running, hiking and biking, great job market, diversity, etc. Weather sucks for a couple months…

I think it’s true about a lot of places - what’s the draw until you know it. I’ve been to Virginia, Maryland, and Arizona in summer - hated summer weather at each and couldn’t live there. Raleigh? Loved it. Florida - love visiting, could never live there year round. NYC or Chicago? Love them both and could live at both, and know a lot of people who disagree with me.

Nowhere works for everyone. Most places have some draw.
Agreed. And I think Bob’s point is simply Minneapolis’ draw is one that is easier learned through lived experiences than seen from afar. Even though some do want what we got, a lot need the education. Moreover, a lot need a 2nd winter to really appreciate it.

I think y’all’s argument is sinply dancing around what you each mean by the draw.

I’ve read differing reports about whether he’s graduated or not. This probably allows him to get a waiver.

Top Bottom