2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

funny. sagarin has st johns at 68 and iona at 83. is rick sweeping a slightly better team clean to bring in his iona players?
Fascinating to see what’s going to happen; Mike Repole the guy who started and sold VitaminWater and BodyArmour for ~10B, is on board for NIL and he is a big wheel in racing and his outlay for his stable must be north of 10M.

I think they’re aiming for higher than Iona players, but we’ll see.

Safe to assume he is the starter next year?

Probably but I hope the kid from Charleston Southern is still interested. He claimed he intended to visit. However, they are both sophs (juniors next season but won't get the 5th year) so it might be better to have a 5th year player next since there is a point guard commit who is currently a junior in high school.

Let me know when Ben goes to the NCAA tournament 4 out of 5 years, including a sweet 16 appearance, or coaches a NBA playoff team.

Yeah, it's not close.

My bad.....he was named among the top 20 on the Cousy watch list.

My point remains....we would/should do cartwheels if he choose the Gophers. And the fact that we can't seem to get a sniff from him and Nebraska can is concerning.
Maybe he thinks MN is Mike Mitchell, Jr. country.

Let me know when Ben goes to the NCAA tournament 4 out of 5 years, including a sweet 16 appearance, or coaches a NBA playoff team.

Yeah, it's not close.
Relying on transfers that were kicked off other teams close to ten years ago. Was not good with the Bulls. Record is 40-83 at Nebraska and no winning seasons in 4 years. I would not trade coaches

Relying on transfers that were kicked off other teams close to ten years ago. Was not good with the Bulls. Record is 40-83 at Nebraska and no winning seasons in 4 years. I would not trade coaches
I don't know if our coach has been involved with a winning basketball since HS. Even his three years at Xavier, they didn't go over .500 in conference once.

I don't know if our coach has been involved with a winning basketball since HS. Even his three years at Xavier, they didn't go over .500 in conference once.
2016-17 Assistant coach for Minnesota 24-10 (11-7), primary recruiter for Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, Eric Curry and Dupree McBrayer.

So maybe, lightning could strike again.

Who else is scheduled to take a visit at this point that we know of?

Just the kid from Charleston Southern?

People in Minnesota drastically overestimate the idea that Minneapolis is a draw.
I've lived in Boulder, CO for 30 years and often miss Minnesota and get back as often as possible. It's a beautiful city. There are great restaurants. There is culture. I lived in Chicago for 8 years and hated it. My friend from Colorado who has lived in both loves Minneapolis and hates Chicago too. Many people I know who were transferred to Minnesota love it. Retirees don't so much because of the cold and the taxes. Weak bones and fixed incomes don't agree with either. It is a great city and many folks who have lived in other places can appreciate it more than people who haven't.

Last edited:

I've lived in Boulder, CO for 30 years and often miss Minnesota and get back as often as possible
This thread kind of proves my point. But yeah, I'm in the same boat. I am a MN guy who doesn't live there and misses it and goes back.

It doesn't change the fact that almost everyone who lives in the Twin Cities is from a 6 hour radius.

IT doesn't make a sh!tty city. It doesn't make it bad.

I'm just saying it isn't a big draw for people outside that radius.

a small add to this. read today (but haven't verified) that no top 50 kids are starters in the final four and 35% of the starters were unranked. there is talent out there
The guys in the final four...certainly not the starters, wouldn't put in for a transfer before their season is over...or was this for last year?

Last edited:

The guys in the final for...certainly not the starters, wouldn't put in for a transfer before their season is over...or was this for last year?
i should have put some space between those sentences. meant to suggest that you can get to the final four and don't need a team full of highly ranked players coming out of HS.

on your note, the FAU coach is saying that players are already being approached by middle men:

seems many aren't waiting for names to show up in the portal

Pretty sure he was on UNI staff when they had the tournament run including the win over Kansas.
Yes. I think Coyle's "interview" with Ben Jacobsen for the opening was really more of a reference check with an added benefit that Jacobsen could go to his AD and say "I'm getting a lot of heat, give me a raise."

i should have put some space between those sentences. meant to suggest that you can get to the final four and don't need a team full of highly ranked players coming out of HS.

on your note, the FAU coach is saying that players are already being approached by middle men:

Rick Pitino's boys are out fishin'

I already like SDSU's chances, but I think they will have less of this since they're older. Therefore less distractions.

Dies the stand your ground law apply in this case?

It doesn't change the fact that almost everyone who lives in the Twin Cities is from a 6 hour radius.

Uhhh...Bob. I think you forgot something: IMMIGRANTS! I'm pretty sure Somalians and Hmong came further than 6 hours to settle here. Those foreigners count as people too.

I saw that Minnesota had a net negative domestic migration from 2020-2022 but had net positive international immigration during the same period.

You should visit and go to some Twin Cities area festivals in the summer. You can pick up a pretty fair plate of seasoned rice, vegetables, and goat meat.

By the way, I don't live in the Twin Cities but I moved here from Tennessee in my mid-forties.

Last edited:

Uhhh...Bob. I think you forgot something: IMMIGRANTS! I pretty sure Somalians and Hmong came further than 6 hours to settle here. Those foreigners count as people too.

I saw that Minnesota had a net negative domestic migration from 2020-2022 but had net positive international immigration during the same period.

You should visit and go to some Twin Cities area festivals in the summer. You can pick up a pretty fair plate of seasoned rice, vegetables, and goat meat.

By the way, I don't live in the Twin Cities but I moved here from Tennessee in my mid-forties.
Man, I would have thought it would have went without saying that those people have a different set of circumstances. We usually are about 30th in the country for foreign born population well behind some magnetic cities like Laredo, Texas, Stockton, California, and Newark, New Jersey.

I am from Minnesota. For the 10th time, I love Minnesota. I like the farmer's markets but you'll be shocked to find out that you can pick up fresh produce at just about every city in the country. In fact, the fact that people in MN routinely bring up the Farmer's Markets as a thing to check out, again, kind of proves my point.

I really do love Minnesota. I don't really want to do winters again but I spend months there with my family (none of them from Minnesota) every summer and we love it. I'm Minnesotan to the bone. I would rather be on a pontoon or fishing boat in northern Minnesota than on the beach at the ocean.

What I am saying is for the average person that is just looking for a new place to live regardless of proximity to their hometown, Minneapolis/Saint Paul just isn't a draw. It's a draw to immigrant populations who have family members here for various reasons. It's a draw to people from 6 hours away

Now, if I was still living in Minnesota, I wouldn't want it to be a draw. You don't want Lowertown being busier. I don't think another set of faux-luxury apartments in Uptown or Downtown add any real value to the place.

Just thinking about names I’ve seen with interest. I don’t have any paid services, but anyone else have anything?

Showed some interest:
Claudell Harris - Charleston Southern
Jayden Taylor - Butler
Jackson Paveletzke - Wofford
Javon Small ECU?

Could be:
AJ P - SoDak

Top Bottom