2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Does a new coach coming into a new position after a disastrous season prefer a clean slate with players? I imagine some really do. Allows them to build immediately with “their guys.” Not sure how many of these are coaching changes. Would be interesting to know how many are self chosen transfers and how many are forced by new or existing staffs.

Still alarming how many there are. This is the CBA reincarnated.

I don't know how the breakdown would go between coaches but I know that if I were a coach who had just recruited 7 players from the transfer portal, I probably wouldn't want to have to do it again.

Thanks for compiling, CJB. I'm surprised NM is losing seven players after a 20-win season.

I am too. I dropped over to a forum of theirs but I didn't see much sign of them attacking Pitino for that.

I understand that you can find studies and magazines that talk about how great it is to live in Minneapolis. I am saying that I don't think Minneapolis is a draw for anyone where it isn't the closest big city to where they group up. There are people who move there for work and then learn to love it, but the city isn't a draw.

I'm from Minnesota. I say "grey duck". I've eaten handfuls of cookies with strangers so they could close their giant bucket at the Fair. I'm really not sh!tting on MN.
I understand this, Minnesota isn't a big name/draw but it does come up at or near the top of any of these studies trying to quantify quality of life or happiness indexes by state. People won't be drawn to something they don't know about. This is where recruiting comes in you educate them on the pros and cons of an area.

We currently have a foreign exchange student from Germany, and he didn't know anything about some big draws to Americans but once educated/taught about these things he is really interested in visiting these different attractions. He certainly didn't know anything about Minnesota and now that he is here he would love to go to college here.

Leading Exporters of Transfers

When the portal was just below 500, I posted a table of schools with the largest number of outbound transfers. Now that the portal is over 1,000 I thought I'd do an update. The table below shows all schools with 6 or more outbound transfers as of earlier this morning.

Saint Francis has been called the patron saint of ecology and animals but perhaps we could now add "patron saint of transfers" to that list. Between them, Saint Francis (NY) and Saint Francis (PA) account for 22 transfers on this list. It was mentioned on this board that St Francis (NY) was discontinuing basketball so that outlier number is understandable. I don't know what is going on at LIU and Tulsa other than terrible seasons. Obviously, some of these bigger numbers could be due to coach firings.

All is not well in New Mexico as the two primary universities have combined for 15 transfers. Of course, New Mexico State shut down the basketball team in mid-season due to allegations of abusive hazing. I don't know what is going on with Pitino's team but I don't see much evidence of Pitino bashing on one of their forums.

View attachment 24841
Progress 🎉🎊

We’re not on list!

I understand this, Minnesota isn't a big name/draw but it does come up at or near the top of any of these studies trying to quantify quality of life or happiness indexes by state. People won't be drawn to something they don't know about. This is where recruiting comes in you educate them on the pros and cons of an area.

We currently have a foreign exchange student from Germany, and he didn't know anything about some big draws to Americans but once educated/taught about these things he is really interested in visiting these different attractions. He certainly didn't know anything about Minnesota and now that he is here he would love to go to college here.
My thoughts are, how are those studies relevant to college athletes? I had very different thoughts while I was picking a college compared to where I wanted to be when raising my kids and now that the kids are gone. If I was back in HS looking for a college and some college in say Warroad, MN had a great team and needed my talents, I may consider going there. Living there and starting a career after college? Probably not. Moving there now as a retired guy? Sure, why not. I like to snowmobile. I believe Ben has many things to sell. P6 program, immediate playing time (for some of his targets), Tough competition, visability, great school, fun metro area, strong returning front court with Garcia and Payne.

recruiting - either HS or transfers - to a program like MN is tricky. Let's be honest, if a player has 'winning immediately' or 'lots of NIL $$' as his priorities, that player is not coming to MN.

Johnson needs to find players who like a challenge - who like the idea of coming into a program that is struggling and help to make it better. that is a harder sell than recruiting a player to a top-25 team or a team that hands out lots of NIL cash.

in the end, Johnson will end up with the best players who want to come to MN. and you can't force someone to want something. they either want it or they don't. unless you have a big stinkin' bag of cash, which can make any program more attractive.

People in Minnesota drastically overestimate the idea that Minneapolis is a draw.
Not really. When traveling I hear constant positives about Minneapolis and the area. I also hear that from people once they come here. Your experience may be different, but it’s definitely a draw for many.

It doesn’t matter where you go - college town, LA, Chicago, etc - people love them or hate them. You attract the people who want that.

Not really. When traveling I hear constant positives about Minneapolis and the area. I also hear that from people once they come here. Your experience may be different, but it’s definitely a draw for many.

It doesn’t matter where you go - college town, LA, Chicago, etc - people love them or hate them. You attract the people who want that.
They don't love it enough to move there. They are being polite because we are from Minnesota. You go to Chicago, New York, Scottsdale/Phx, Austin, etc., you meet people who actually MOVED to those cities that aren't from 6 hours away.

I'm not saying people don't think "hey, you know, Minneapolis isn't a bad city". I think people do like it when they move here. However, I think there are very few people who aren't from within 6 hours who move to the Twin Cities.

Hoibergs transfer success background I suppose.
His transfer success in the past was largely Second or Third Chance U. Most transfers now are not leaving for discipline issues. Different game.

His transfer success in the past was largely Second or Third Chance U. Most transfers now are not leaving for discipline issues. Different game.
You may be right there - But Hoiberg can also lean on past success at ISU.

Nebraska doesn’t have energy. Hoiberg hasn’t accomplished anything in Lincoln or any stops really except a good year at Iowa St with transfers that at least a few were kicked off other teams.
Have you watched their home games? They sell out on the regular and the energy is palpable (at least from the tv perspective).

1100 in the portal probably on the way to 1800

about 230 freshmen and RS freshman
about 520 sophomores and RS sophomores

that's a lot of underclassmen looking for a new home. no idea how many were walk ons vs scholarships

Top Bottom