2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Curtis Jones who played at Buffalo just hit the transfer portal. I posted about him a few weeks ago while wondering if he would enter the portal. Buffalo's coach has been fired since then and he's now in the portal.

Jones played at Cretin-Derham Hall. He played one season at Indian Hills CC in Iowa and two seasons at Buffalo. He dramatically increased his playing time and numbers this season (31.5 mpg., 15 pts per game, 4.8 rpm., 3.0 assists per game, about a 3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio, 18.9 player efficiency rating). He seems to be a combo guard and has good size (6'5"). He should have two years of eligibility.

Curtis Jones

This is definitely one Johnson should pursue. If he's interested in returning home, the Gophers should have the edge.
He'd immediately be the best FT shooter on the team......

noting that a lot of st francis brooklyn names are now on the portal. sadly, st francis are eliminating all 19 sports teams after the 2023 season. bball dates back to 1896, the oldest college program in NYC and a NCAA charter member
I wonder who the gophers will schedule now that St Francis and their 353 NET ranking aren't an option anymore.

Fuck it... Just bring home every Minnesota kid.... Am I right....
No. But if the guys are willing come happen to be from Minnesota, then get the best ones. In the end you have to sell guys on coming here and the reason people get fixated on Minnesotans is because we all know that there's a better chance of landing them. Always take the best player you can get regardless of where in the world they come from.

Speaking of which- I wonder if Ben is working the international scene for guards who we would never have heard of?

Be interesting to see whom the first commit he gets! Better be a good one!

No. But if the guys are willing come happen to be from Minnesota, then get the best ones. In the end you have to sell guys on coming here and the reason people get fixated on Minnesotans is because we all know that there's a better chance of landing them. Always take the best player you can get regardless of where in the world they come from.

Speaking of which- I wonder if Ben is working the international scene for guards who we would never have heard of?
Needs to get on the Gonzaga/Arizona plan, mine the overseas market

Doogies says the Gophers are "making progress" on him and Taylor from Butler. Not getting the CDH kid from Buffalo.

Did he say whether they contacted the kid from Buffalo or did they decide not to pursue him?

Doogies says the Gophers are "making progress" on him and Taylor from Butler. Not getting the CDH kid from Buffalo.
That'd be two very solid additions, Taylor averaged 12 in a good Big East on 40/32/77 shooting, I'll take that any day.

Few things. Maybe already been answered but if new WBB Coach P's kid came here (0 idea on his health) does he get free tuition? IE save a scholarship.

Also, doesn't look likely but I'd fire an assistant, just to 1 shake things up, and 2 for someone with connections. Thst person, former nba player, former temple head coach Aaron mckie. Lots of good temple talent in the portal, has nba chops and had been a head coach. Feels like an easy homerun!!
No, I made a joke about it few days ago. I thought they used to, but alas it was just the employee that gets discounted tuition - however Mr Coyle oughta raise Dawn’s salary by a a proscribed amount + tax implications and due his duty!😏

Read something from a week ago that Jayden Taylor from Butler was the only transfer Tom Izzo contacted early. Either to play SG or provide spark off bench.

Read something from a week ago that Jayden Taylor from Butler was the only transfer Tom Izzo contacted early. Either to play SG or provide spark off bench.
Like! Yes everyone makes all of their highlight reel shots, but I really like the quickness.

Moving to This Thread:

We need to fill 6 scholarships if you include Ramberg correct?

The portal really does suck.

He’s all you need for a backup center and can back up both the four and five The concern about backup centers when you need at least three more guards is ridiculous.
Seems like a legit concern for a team that was consistently outrebounded, lacked any help defending the rim, and experienced problematic levels of foul trouble among the frontcourt players they did have. Most would agree that guards are the biggest need, and everyone hopes Fox contributes on the inside, but those are not reasons to ignore the secondary need for interior depth. Fair to say they have more than one need.

Seems like a legit concern for a team that was consistently outrebounded, lacked any help defending the rim, and experienced problematic levels of foul trouble among the frontcourt players they did have. Most would agree that guards are the biggest need, and everyone hopes Fox contributes on the inside, but those are not reasons to ignore the secondary need for interior depth. Fair to say they have more than one need.
I agree with your point and would like to add frontcourt depth as well. I am, however, hopeful that adding perimeter defensive ability and quickness will help keep the bigs out of foul trouble. Continually having to help and recover puts bigs in a terrible spot.

Top Bottom