2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I hate these posts. Literally ANYONE could post this and know nothing. You either know something and shouldn't probably say ANYTHING, or you know nothing other than the million rumors that come up daily. There's zero point to a post like this.
True but Roland is a credible poster with real information especially in the high school world and has never been a troll. He he gets the benefit of the doubt.

I wonder if Holloman ends up in the portal.... 3 minutes and 5 minutes in two tourney games.
Izzo is high on Holloman. I’m skeptical Holloman would bolt after one year, but it becomes more of a possibility if Tyson Walker decides to return for his COVID season. Something to watch.

Which players are you talking about?
King and Holloman
I get what you're saying (he's from Minnesota so get him) BUT, we've seen him play. He's a FRESHMAN coming off a knee injury. I would bet a paycheck by the time he's in his 3rd or 4th year of D1 basketball, that he'll be a very good player. Nothing wrong with that.
Have you really seen him/them play? Holloman averaged 8 minutes and King 20 seconds at their respective schools. Maybe they'll develop, maybe they won't - it's similar to getting someone out of HS, only you know they couldn't hack it at another P6.

My philosophy in the portal era would be to target those who've had proven success, albeit probably at a different level. That is also somewhat of a crapshoot, but at least you have a lot of film.

ETA: I think 3-star HS players these days might be wise to start out at a mid major if they might not crack a P6 rotation.

Last edited:

Few things. Maybe already been answered but if new WBB Coach P's kid came here (0 idea on his health) does he get free tuition? IE save a scholarship.

Also, doesn't look likely but I'd fire an assistant, just to 1 shake things up, and 2 for someone with connections. Thst person, former nba player, former temple head coach Aaron mckie. Lots of good temple talent in the portal, has nba chops and had been a head coach. Feels like an easy homerun!!

King and Holloman

Have you really seen him/them play? Holloman averaged 8 minutes and King 20 seconds at their respective schools. Maybe they'll develop, maybe they won't - it's similar to getting someone out of HS, only you know they couldn't hack it at another P6.

My philosophy in the portal era would be to target those who've had proven success, albeit probably at a different level. That is also somewhat of a crapshoot, but at least you have a lot of film.

ETA: I think 3-star HS players these days might be wise to start out at a mid major if they might not crack a P6 rotation.
So because these 2 played sparingly as 1st year PG's on NCAA tournament quality teams, you say they can't hack it at a P5 school? That's crazy.

So because these 2 played sparingly as 1st year PG's on NCAA tournament quality teams, you say they can't hack it at a P5 school? That's crazy.
How so? If they're good enough to play there eventually, why would they transfer?

It's not that they can't eventually hack it, but are we trying to win 2 games in the B1G again next season or are we actually trying to be more competitive? These are teams that we are supposed to be competitive with, so we're going to do that by taking their end of the bench players that they recruit over?

I'd take older starters who put up big numbers at a lower conference over Holloman and King any day. Plus neither are in the portal yet.

I would take an Izzo-coached PG, who already contributes sparingly, on a sweet 16 squad, who plays behind Walker and Akins. That's another massive building block in a position of need.

I would take Tre Holloman as the Gopher PG in a heartbeat. But I think he’ll be at MSU for at least another season.
You are probably right- however, if there was ever a year where he wanted to come back home, this is probably his best opportunity. Guaranteed keys to the car this coming year here and that is the one thing he doesn't have at MSU. I'm sure everything else there is amazing but guys want to play minutes.

It's not that they can't eventually hack it, but are we trying to win 2 games in the B1G again next season or are we actually trying to be more competitive? These are teams that we are supposed to be competitive with, so we're going to do that by taking their end of the bench players that they recruit over?

I'd take older starters who put up big numbers at a lower conference over Holloman and King any day. Plus neither are in the portal yet.
I feel heard...

I would take an Izzo-coached PG, who already contributes sparingly, on a sweet 16 squad, who plays behind Walker and Akins. That's another massive building block in a position of need.
Izzo wouldn't be coaching him if he came here...

We have room for both types. Let the best player win the minutes.

I'm gonna save this post as the day some astute fans said we didn't want Eli King and Tre Holloman because they were back-ups at MSU and ISU. SMH

On another note, Holloman is going to get passed up for at least another season. Fears is a stud but I doubt he'll be one and done. Adding him to what they have coming back........

Might be some interesting news coming soon
Wonder if Jayden Pierre will hit the portal with Cooley leaving Providence. We were close to landing him!

I'd guess Georgetown would likely be the favorite for his services. He played about 11 minutes a game but had pretty solid stats:
  • 2.7x A/To
  • 54% from 3-pt (low volume)
If we were halfway competent this year at the guard position, guys like Henley and Carrington would have played similar minutes to Holloman and Pierre (9-12 minutes) vs. the 20+.

I'm gonna save this post as the day some astute fans said we didn't want Eli King and Tre Holloman because they were back-ups at MSU and ISU. SMH

On another note, Holloman is going to get passed up for at least another season. Fears is a stud but I doubt he'll be one and done. Adding him to what they have coming back........
Right now GWG is so pissed off at Ben that if Ben signed Michael Jordan in his prime GWG would say he was gonna stink or that Ben would screw him up.

Right now GWG is so pissed off at Ben that if Ben signed Michael Jordan in his prime GWG would say he was gonna stink or that Ben would screw him up.

That's not even true. There are a bunch of guards who have entered the portal who are averaging 15+ PPG on good shooting percentages at lower levels. That type of guard will give us a much better chance of competing next season than Tre Holloman or Eli King.

If their names were Tre Soloman and Eli Sing and they were from Michigan and Iowa, everyone on this board would want to take the lower level guards who have produced over them.

Matz Stockman was a reasonably good backup center and he came here. Of course, he came here as a sit-out transfer so that diminished his value on the transfer market. I agree that someone who is used to averaging 25 minutes per game or more is not going to want to come here as a backup but someone who is providing decent minutes but is stuck behind someone else might. A backup center could get fair minutes here as Payne is foul prone and a backup might be the center of choice at the end of halves if he is a better free throw shooter than Payne.
This is correct. Payne's floor time will always be limited by foul trouble. We will be lucky if he can average 25 minutes. A backup would not be coming in to just sit. He will get plenty of playing time.

Andrew Rohde from St. Thomas hit the portal. Isn't he their top player?

I think GWG beat me to it - if they weren't from MN, you wouldn't want them. They may turn into something, but they're like HS recruits right now - all potential. You can use the portal for some speculative prospecting, but most P6 schools are using it for immediate hole-plugging with players who have actually produced.

Top Bottom