2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

He's in a tough spot. Obviously, you don't want him to settle for warm bodies, but on the other hand, you want to have a full roster next year. Continuing to hope he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.
After doing a bit of research. Glover seems to be pretty legit. A bit small, but he originally played at Florida before Samford.

I’ll welcome any real point guard with open arms.

They should only be looking for serviceable guards and a backup center.
I'll say it again - no reasonably good center will be transferring to a team anywhere to be a backup, much less one that has a 30 min/game sophomore. It's part of the reason Evans got out. Even TT will likely be going down a level in order to get PT. Others like TT (from a P6, not getting PT) will go down a level, too, in order to play. Those looking to move up from midmajors want a starting role, too. A backup C in the portal is a unicorn.

He's in a tough spot. Obviously, you don't want him to settle for warm bodies, but on the other hand, you want to have a full roster next year. Continuing to hope he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.
As he better be trying to do better than his past history, Ben should look to pull something out of a different spot than his hat.

I'll say it again - no reasonably good center will be transferring to a team anywhere to be a backup, much less one that has a 30 min/game sophomore. It's part of the reason Evans got out. Even TT will likely be going down a level in order to get PT. Others like TT (from a P6, not getting PT) will go down a level, too, in order to play. Those looking to move up from midmajors want a starting role, too. A backup C in the portal is a unicorn.

Matz Stockman was a reasonably good backup center and he came here. Of course, he came here as a sit-out transfer so that diminished his value on the transfer market. I agree that someone who is used to averaging 25 minutes per game or more is not going to want to come here as a backup but someone who is providing decent minutes but is stuck behind someone else might. A backup center could get fair minutes here as Payne is foul prone and a backup might be the center of choice at the end of halves if he is a better free throw shooter than Payne.

Matz Stockman was a reasonably good backup center and he came here. Of course, he came here as a sit-out transfer so that diminished his value on the transfer market. I agree that someone who is used to averaging 25 minutes per game or more is not going to want to come here as a backup but someone who is providing decent minutes but is stuck behind someone else might. A backup center could get fair minutes here as Payne is foul prone and a backup might be the center of choice at the end of halves if he is a better free throw shooter than Payne.
So you're saying someone who is stuck behind someone will want to come here to be stuck behind someone. And hope to get 15 minutes instead of 10 because of the starter's foul trouble. And have this situation for 3 years until the starter graduates (by which time you will have graduated).

Good luck with that.

I'm not saying the Gophers couldn't use a backup C, but the portal doesn't seem likely to produce one, and they have a solution in-house by moving Garcia to guard 5s when Payne is out. Nearly every team is in this boat these days of being depth-challenged at the 5. There just isn't a big supply.

Shouldn't your issue be with the poster who says Johnson should be going after "safety" targets?

Who are these safety targets, specifically?

And BTW, why are we akready giving up on the targets named here??

Quit twisting my words. I never said we shouldn't go after heavily sought transfers. In fact, I was the first person here to post anything about that Wofford freshman guard that a bunch of premier programs are trying to recruit and said that Ben should go after him as hard as possible. By "safety" players I meant the same thing as "safety" schools. You go hard after what you want most but you also have some players that are serviceable but less illustrious in case you can't get your first tier targets.

Do I have "safety" players in mind? Yes. I review and check out the transfer portal players multiple times per day. There are not more than a couple of players who have been mentioned here that I haven't checked out before they were posted (one of them was a junior college player). Do I feel a duty to share those with you? Hell no. Do you own research, lazy bastard.

You keep mentioning Taurus Samuels. Personally, I think you'd like nothing better than for us to end up with another Taurus Samuels because that would increase Ben Johnson's chances of failing.

So you're saying someone who is stuck behind someone will want to come here to be stuck behind someone. And hope to get 15 minutes instead of 10 because of the starter's foul trouble. And have this situation for 3 years until the starter graduates (by which time you will have graduated).

Good luck with that.

I'm not saying the Gophers couldn't use a backup C, but the portal doesn't seem likely to produce one, and they have a solution in-house by moving Garcia to guard 5s when Payne is out. Nearly every team is in this boat these days of being depth-challenged at the 5. There just isn't a big supply.

I don't disagree that getting one would be difficult but I'm not ready to say "impossible." I agree that type of recruit should be the lowest priority going forward. If we have three guards by the end of June, then whatever center type bodies are still around at the beginning of July might be a little more desperate. If that person is a one-year player, you aren't risking much.

Might be some interesting news coming soon

Interesting has a wide spectrum of possibilities. Could be Ben has been fired and Rick Pitino spurns St Johns for MN. Could be everyone is entering the transfer portal again. Could be Oscar Tshiebwe is coming back for another year and is taking his talents to Minneapolis.

Good news only Roland... 😁

Might be some interesting news coming soon
I hate these posts. Literally ANYONE could post this and know nothing. You either know something and shouldn't probably say ANYTHING, or you know nothing other than the million rumors that come up daily. There's zero point to a post like this.

I hate these posts. Literally ANYONE could post this and know nothing. You either know something and shouldn't probably say ANYTHING, or you know nothing other than the million rumors that come up daily. There's zero point to a post like this.
I say we will hear interesting news soon. I have no knowledge if what kind of news or how soon but guarantee it will be interesting.

Holloman maybe, King doesn't see the floor, so why would you bring him in? We need backcourt experience for 1-2 years.
We need someone who can break a press, not turn it over an bunch and hit free throws at a decent clip. I’d take either or both.

Holloman maybe, King doesn't see the floor, so why would you bring him in? We need backcourt experience for 1-2 years.

Well, Bryan Greenlee barely saw the court here as a freshman but now he starts for a 30+ win team. If 3 guards are brought in, I don't see much harm in bringing in King as one of them.

Because he's a year removed from a serious injury....because he's learned to play defense on a really really good defensive ISU squad...because he's talented, can shoot the 3, is athletic and a point guard. He and Holloman can play together as well IMO.

Last edited:

Because he's a year removed from a serious injury....because he's learned to play defense on a really really good ISU squad...because he's talented, can shoot the 3, is athletic and a point guard. He and Holloman can play together as well IMO.
I'd take Eli in a minute. If that's the interesting news...

Plus, they're bringing in a 5 star point guard.......

Holloman and Eli King would be the unicorn transfer portal season.
We can offer them Home NIL - some home cooked meals, watched by family & friends, free laundry and sometimes pocket cash from your fam - easier to request in person than on the phone.

Last edited:

These are players that are not good enough to play for P6 programs, but, because they're from MN, are somehow desirable. Better than nothing, I suppose, but they should be setting sights on proven players.
Which players are you talking about?

These are players that are not good enough to play for P6 programs, but, because they're from MN, are somehow desirable. Better than nothing, I suppose, but they should be setting sights on proven players.
I get what you're saying (he's from Minnesota so get him) BUT, we've seen him play. He's a FRESHMAN coming off a knee injury. I would bet a paycheck by the time he's in his 3rd or 4th year of D1 basketball, that he'll be a very good player. Nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom