2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Minnesota lost Battle, Cooper, and Henley.
Michigan lost Dickinson, Love, Bufkin, and Howard.

Michigan has had the worst offseason for any P6 team so far, and I stand by the comment.
Henley’s potential was the only loss you listed, but if you list Love we must list Evans. We plused up big time on Cooper and Battle. I’m even more excited about Mitchell than Hawkins. Both are real pluses over Cooper.

The window only closes for the free waiver. Undergrads can transfer after the window closes, but they would have to sit a year, except for in extreme circumstances. Grad transfers don’t have to sit by rule, so they can enter the portal after the undergrad deadline.

Michigan has had the worst offseason for any P6 team so far, and I stand by the comment.
Michigan definitely has its problems and has difficulty getting transfers for decades. The problem is Michigan rejects a lot of transfer credits or will only count them as electives. This leads to students needing an extra semester or two in order to graduate. The whole process is also dragged out, taking weeks to get word. There is an appeal process, but that too takes weeks and almost always gets denied. Players look elsewhere and seem to have no problem with transferring credits.

Michigan lost out on Terrance Shannon last year similar to what happened with Caleb Love. Shannon instead transferred to Illinois with no problems. He was voted all Big Ten: 1st team coaches, 2nd team media.

Undergrads can transfer after the window closes, but they would have to sit a year
Sure, technically true, but no one is doing this.

Grad transfers don’t have to sit by rule, so they can enter the portal after the undergrad deadline.
I don't think it has anything to do with them not sitting.

I think the rule defining the windows and their execution explicitly carved out that grad transfers don't have to abide by the windows when entering the portal.

Which I disagree with. I would still require them to abide by it.

Sure, technically true, but no one is doing this.

I don't think it has anything to do with them not sitting.

I think the rule defining the windows and their execution explicitly carved out that grad transfers don't have to abide by the windows when entering the portal.

Which I disagree with. I would still require them to abide by it.
If you are trying to maintain a modicum of the idea of the student athlete then I disagree, they've completed their education and if they still have eligibility left they should be free to continue their education and athletics wherever they can get accepted and want to go. If the model is professional and contract driven then rules should apply.

If you are trying to maintain a modicum of the idea of the student athlete then I disagree, they've completed their education and if they still have eligibility left they should be free to continue their education and athletics wherever they can get accepted and want to go. If the model is professional and contract driven then rules should apply.
We're not disagreeing.

I didn't say that they shouldn't get a free transfer for graduating. I'm fine with that bit

Michigan definitely has its problems and has difficulty getting transfers for decades. The problem is Michigan rejects a lot of transfer credits or will only count them as electives. This leads to students needing an extra semester or two in order to graduate. The whole process is also dragged out, taking weeks to get word. There is an appeal process, but that too takes weeks and almost always gets denied. Players look elsewhere and seem to have no problem with transferring credits.

Michigan lost out on Terrance Shannon last year similar to what happened with Caleb Love. Shannon instead transferred to Illinois with no problems. He was voted all Big Ten: 1st team coaches, 2nd team media.
Having worked with college transfer credits for almost thirty years, these are the issues:
1. Is the previous college accredited by the Higher Learning Commission or one of the regional accreditation agencies?
2. What classes did the student take and what grades did the student receive?
3. Cumulative transfer GPA can vary from college to college.
4. By school policy do classes with a passing grade transfer (D or higher), or do only C or higher grades transfer?
5. How do the transfer credits fit into the student’s stated major? This can be tricky, as different colleges may have somewhat different requirements for the same major. Many colleges have an open studies major to address this issue.
6. Is an ACT OR SAT entrance exam required to transfer”? This is usually required at the previous college, but not always.

the word from the attached thread is he is pursuing pro options and does not wish to be pursued right now.
tyler burton also considered his pro options at the end of the 2021-2022 season, and ended up returning to richmond. pretty good player, preseason (2022-2023) he was preseason first team team all A10

Nelson wearing the maroon & gold would enhance my expectations of the 2023-24 Gophers significantly.

Alas, he ain't withdrawing from the NBA Draft to play for Minnesota. This one will be interesting to see where he ends up. Big names will be lining up.

Top Bottom