2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Please! Have you ever been to Manhattan Kansas? They have a year round population of 30,000. They have no fan base. Tang is just a really good coach that wins. If you win they will come
No point feeding the troll.

1100 in the portal probably on the way to 1800

about 230 freshmen and RS freshman
about 520 sophomores and RS sophomores

that's a lot of underclassmen looking for a new home. no idea how many were walk ons vs scholarships
the portal just went over 1800

thats about 1 out of every 3 D1 players (includes walk ons)

i'm surprised by how many multi-year transfer are in the portal and ended up on new teams, since waivers will be needed

going forward, guessing about 1800 yearly. maybe a bit more as some teams with NIL money have their bagmen target players they want and get them to enter the portal.

the portal just went over 1800

thats about 1 out of every 3 D1 players (includes walk ons)

i'm surprised by how many multi-year transfer are in the portal and ended up on new teams, since waivers will be needed

going forward, guessing about 1800 yearly. maybe a bit more as some teams with NIL money have their bagmen target players they want and get them to enter the portal.
I think that after this next year, their numbers will fall quite a bit. The last of the Covid players will be in their fourth year now, and not all are using their fifth year next year. So we will be seeing less repeat and grad transfers, which don’t require waivers, except for the very top talent which will be targeted..

I think that after this next year, their numbers will fall quite a bit. The last of the Covid players will be in their fourth year now, and not all are using their fifth year next year. So we will be seeing less repeat and grad transfers, which don’t require waivers, except for the very top talent which will be targeted..
i could be wrong, but i think the roster exemption for super seniors was only for the 21-22 season. so for this past season the total pool of players in NCAA D1 will be the same moving forward, about 5400 total

the past three portal seasons were 1712, 1730, and 1800. yes, more palyers using 5 or 6 years to play 4 - but still only a total pool of 5400 and not a larger pool of players to transfer

i could be wrong, but i think the roster exemption for super seniors was only for the 21-22 season. so for this past season the total pool of players in NCAA D1 will be the same moving forward, about 5400 total

the past three portal seasons were 1712, 1730, and 1800. yes, more palyers using 5 or 6 years to play 4 - but still only a total pool of 5400 and not a larger pool of players to transfer
If you played and used eligability for the 2020-2021 season you get a free bee. If you were injury or otherwise redshirted that year, nothing changes for you. I'm pretty sure this is correct for all sports. The spring sports might be a bit different since more of their season was lost in 2019-2020.

All players that were on a roster and did not redshirt during the 20-21 season are eligible for a fifth year of competition. Because they have five years of playing, more of them are reaching grad status and transferring for a second time, after using their free transfer. Once this group is through, after next year, I believe there will be fewer transfers.

Here's a great article from 4 days ago on CBS Sports about how the transfer portal has reshaped College Basketball and dramatically dropped the value of high school recruiting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...g-has-dropped-value-of-high-school-prospects/

There are even Big Ten coaches quoted in the article as saying HS players should be viewed as rentals as they will most likely leave, and if you get a transfer who has 2 or 3 years left, that is the true gold now.

doesn't look like it

he's not on the SD 23-24 basketball roster, so likely not returning

his linkedin profile suggests he's at SD until September 2023 - so maybe a summer graduate?
AJ is probably giving himself as much time as possible to try to recover from his horrific knee injury before he makes a final play/no play decision.

AJ is probably giving himself as much time as possible to try to recover from his horrific knee injury before he makes a final play/no play decision.
the one he suffered Feb 2021? or did he have another knee injury. he played 800 minutes this past season

For those who know. The gophers are at 15 on the roster. i think that's the limit. Any way they could add AJ if he wanted to play? (maybe NIL to cover school expenses)

Here's a great article from 4 days ago on CBS Sports about how the transfer portal has reshaped College Basketball and dramatically dropped the value of high school recruiting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...g-has-dropped-value-of-high-school-prospects/

There are even Big Ten coaches quoted in the article as saying HS players should be viewed as rentals as they will most likely leave, and if you get a transfer who has 2 or 3 years left, that is the true gold now.
Good thing we hired a coach with the ability to recruit Minnesota kids.

the one he suffered Feb 2021? or did he have another knee injury. he played 800 minutes this past season

For those who know. The gophers are at 15 on the roster. i think that's the limit. Any way they could add AJ if he wanted to play? (maybe NIL to cover school expenses)N

No new injury during the season. 2-3 months ago I heard he could be done from 3 different coaches…

For those who know. The gophers are at 15 on the roster. i think that's the limit. Any way they could add AJ if he wanted to play? (maybe NIL to cover school expenses)
Yes, the 2021 injury, which he played through last season. His numbers were not as good as the numbers before the injury, even though he rehabbed for about 600 days. He is probably trying to decide if he wants to revisit Rehab Hell to get the limited results he earned last season.

With all the conversation over the past couple of years about Ben not having a full roster, I thought this was an interesting piece of information included in the article.
"At the high-major level, much less seems at stake in recruiting these days. Look no further than the rosters. Among high-majors, more teams than not have not/will not fill out all 13 scholarships. UCLA is at 10. North Carolina is at 11. Kentucky isn't full. Neither are Kansas, Duke, Baylor, Texas, Indiana, Illinois, Georgetown and dozens more in power leagues."

Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

Is the reliable source a friend, family member, teammate or coach?
hoopsmon joined gopherhole the same day the gophers announced the hiring of dawn plitzuweit, guessing hoopsmom is very well connected on this topic

Top Bottom