2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

This should dispel any notion people have the Ben is only going after depth players. Can he land a kid like this? I don't know, but it appears they are working it hard.
Exactly- players compete for playing time

This should dispel any notion people have the Ben is only going after depth players. Can he land a kid like this? I don't know, but it appears they are working it hard.
It's good to see.

Gives you the impression that he's reaching for higher guys before settling for the Plitzuwitz and possibly Ortiz types. Problem is if you miss on the high guys, don't lose the others if you need 'em.

Likely has been the issue in past years.

It should....but we all know that it won't for those that are determined to assume the worst at all times and in all situations when it comes to Gopher basketball.

Watched interview doogie and Mike Mitchell. It doesn’t appear he promised Mike Mitchell the Starting PG job.

Mitchell believes he has what it takes to come i. And earn it (that’s a paraphrase not quote). Interview is from April 3rd, only about 10

Pepperdine transfer Mike Mitchell Jr. officially became a member of the Gophers basketball team on Tuesday by signing his letter of intent.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound sophomore from San Jose, Calif., averaged 11.4 points, 5.0 assists, 4.1 rebounds and shot 44% from three-point range this season. He led the West Coast Conference in assists during conference play and started all 63 games in his career the last two seasons.

Mitchell was also named to the WCC all-freshman team after averaging 9.1 points and 4.9 assists at Pepperdine in 2020-21.

"As an older player with great experience, Mike brings a strong leadership presence to our backcourt," Gophers coach Ben Johnson said in a statement. "I love his ability to play in ball screens and his perimeter shooting capability at 44 percent last year. We're looking forward to getting him on campus this summer."

Among the abundance of transfers who have talked with the Gophers, North Alabama sophomore Daniel Ortiz narrowed his list recently to six schools, including Minnesota.

Charleston Southern sophomore Claudell Harris Jr. talked with the Gophers on a zoom call and has interest in visiting after taking trips to Boston College and Florida this month.
Harris is the perfect player for Gophers. BJ go get him!

We have about a 2% chance on this one.

Probably no bigger than single digits anyway. The 12th of May is also a turnoff. If I were Johnson, I wouldn't want to wait that long, at least not for adding a major piece to the team who has a low probability anyway.

Probably no bigger than single digits anyway. The 12th of May is also a turnoff. If I were Johnson, I wouldn't want to wait that long, at least not for adding a major piece to the team.
We have 4 left so the May date is no problem.

We have 4 left so the May date is no problem.

Yes, but he seems to have a low probability of committing anyway.

I don't think the coaches will recruit four more. Hopefully three more, though.

If anyone is wondering who will take up Battle's shots, this guy would be a likely candidate. He's certainly not gun shy (13.5 field goal attempts per game). Good scorer (led team) although not extremely efficient. If it comes down to Nebraska (he's from Omaha) and us, I hope he sticks it to the home state team that didn't offer him coming out of high school. He should have the 4th year and the optional 5th year left.

If anyone is wondering who will take up Battle's shots, this guy would be a likely candidate. He's certainly not gun shy (13.5 field goal attempts per game). Good scorer (led team) although not extremely efficient. If it comes down to Nebraska (he's from Omaha) and us, I hope he sticks it to the home state team that didn't offer him coming out of high school. He should have the 4th year and the optional 5th year left.
Looks solid - does he get to the line?

Looks solid - does he get to the line?
15.3 shots a game
6.3 shots from 3
3 free throw attempts a game (81% FT this past season)
4.5 rebounds a game
2.4 assists a game

looks like his dad played for Creighton back in the day...so would be interesting if they came calling

Man, Arkansas is in on every top transfer kid. Didn't know basketball rules allowed for 25 roster spots. Musselman must have some NLI money to help and/or is ONE HELL OF recruiter and visionary seller.

Man, Arkansas is in on every top transfer kid. Didn't know basketball rules allowed for 25 roster spots. Musselman must have some NLI money to help and/or is ONE HELL OF recruiter and visionary seller.
Not sure that Arkansas is doing anything different than most other schools in casting a wide net in the portal.

Lots of teams all going after the same players, knowing they won't get most of them.

15.3 shots a game
6.3 shots from 3
4.5 rebounds a game
2.4 assists a game

looks like his dad played for Creighton back in the day...so would be interesting if they came calling
Creighton has most of it's starters coming back.... so PT might be tougher there.

15.3 shots a game
6.3 shots from 3
4.5 rebounds a game
2.4 assists a game

Creighton is turning into our boogeyman. I swear that every time a player’s name is mentioned, Creighton is brought up as a possible landing spot. Apparently they have 20 available scholarships and unlimited millions in NIL.

he doesnt list MN when giving a breakdown of each school in that article.

says he is graduating May 12th and plans to decide after that.
Rivals has Ben doing a home visit. Perry has high regards for Willis and Curry. Might help our chances.

I'd take him.

Last edited:

Rivals has Ben doing a home visit. Perry has high regards for Willis and Curry. Might help our chances.

I'd take him.
Conference player of the year. Yeah, I suppose we would take him. The question is whether he takes us. Would be great to seem him have the impact of Picket from Penn State. Nice to see we have some connection. Not much lifts my basketball confidence these days, though.

Conference player of the year. Yeah, I suppose we would take him. The question is whether he takes us. Would be great to seem him have the impact of Picket from Penn State. Nice to see we have some connection. Not much lifts my basketball confidence these days, though.
Sorry....what's the connection with Willis and Curry? Where did you see this?

Top Bottom