2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I've lived in Boulder, CO for 30 years and often miss Minnesota and get back as often as possible. It's a beautiful city. There are great restaurants. There is culture. I lived in Chicago for 8 years and hated it. My friend from Colorado who has lived in both loves Minneapolis and hates Chicago too. Many people I know who were transferred to Minnesota love it. Retirees don't so much because of the cold and the taxes. Weak bones and fixed incomes don't agree with either. It is a great city and many folks who have lived in other places can appreciate it more than people who haven't.
None of this, with the exception of winter weather, has the slightest impact on a kid deciding where to play college basketball.

There seems to be a number of former 4 star/top 100 kids in the portal after just their Freshman year. I would be looking to add 1-2 guys who fit this profile in addition to 2-3 more proven players (after the Mitchell addition). With the NCAA cracking down on two time transfers, the potential to get some high ceiling kids in that you don't have to worry about transferring should be enticing.

With the NCAA cracking down on two time transfers, the potential to get some high ceiling kids in that you don't have to worry about transferring should be enticing.

Do you have any examples where they've actually done this? Seems like they let about everyone through in the last two years. Whatever they've done, it's not a deterrent. I see lots of guys in the portal currently who have transferred previously without sitting out.

Do you have any examples where they've actually done this? Seems like they let about everyone through in the last two years. Whatever they've done, it's not a deterrent. I see lots of guys in the portal currently who have transferred previously without sitting out.
They’ve stated new guidance that just went into affect. I read somewhere when finding the new rules.

Even a coaching change. There is a loophole; declare mental health as the reason (if I remember correctly, but you should verify).

They’ve stated new guidance that just went into affect. I read somewhere when finding the new rules.

Even a coaching change. There is a loophole; declare mental health as the reason (if I remember correctly, but you should verify).

I appreciate that info but I just don't have any confidence that they will enforce their own rules until I see concrete examples.

Any word on AJ Plitzuweit? He would be a nice fit with Mitchel and a transition piece until Asuma is on campus next year. He seems like a good fit with his family now in the area, not to mention another shooter, leader, and effort guy that this young team desperately needs.

MItchell, AJ, and a big (that can actually play) would be nice portal adds.

Considering his mother was just named the head basketball coach of the women's team......Plitzuweit seems like an obvious transfer in.

Considering his mother was just named the head basketball coach of the women's team......Plitzuweit seems like an obvious transfer in.
curious about this. isn't the max roster size 15? and with two walk ons already, if AJ is on the team next season he'd have to be on scholarship? (or erick or jackson would have to be on scholarship)

curious about this. isn't the max roster size 15? and with two walk ons already, if AJ is on the team next season he'd have to be on scholarship? (or erick or jackson would have to be on scholarship)
Yes. We have scholarships. He is a high level player and would be a nice bridge.

I don't know many 20 somethings that are a lock to follow their mother. In fact, I probably know more who would do the exact opposite. Mom's connection may give us an in, but guarantees nothing.

I don't know many 20 somethings that are a lock to follow their mother. In fact, I probably know more who would do the exact opposite. Mom's connection may give us an in, but guarantees nothing.
I’m hesitant to use the phrase ‘devil’s advocate’ with you, but doubtful he will ever get a better opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Plus if he can shoot…..

20 something indeed. Graduated HS 2018. Has redshirted one year, medical redshirt another year, played one year at augustana and played two years at SD. Did have 8 3s vs Oral Roberts in a game the first year he played at SD.

I’m hesitant to use the phrase ‘devil’s advocate’ with you, but doubtful he will ever get a better opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Plus if he can shoot…..
I don’t fear the devil. And I think you are correct on the opportunity. Getting back to the 20 something’s, there is no assurance he will see it the way you and I in our old age see it. I’d like to see anyone who can shoot come here. He qualifies.

More likely Mom's job matters not at all, one way or the other. He's a player. He will go where he thinks he can matter most balanced against overall team potential.

Based on that, Minnesota might have some appeal.

We don't even know for sure whether his mother desires that. She's been a coach for a long time and professional courtesy may make her wary about going to another coach to discuss recruiting her son.

I have no idea what their relationship is.....but I'm guessing that he's spent his life around basketball at least in part due to his mother. Maybe not the same situation as say.....a teenager whose mother is the high school English teacher.

Considering she's getting a massive opportunity at the hometown D1 program.....and he's looking to step up from the Summit league.....it seems like it would just be a perfect situation that they'd both converge at the U of M at the same time. Would be a pretty cool story actually.

Damn! Wanted to to beat that bastard ext season. Won’t be any fun if he’s not at MI.
rumor is dickinson is heading back to DC - georgetown, or Maryland. still a chance to beat him next year

that said, hunter did once say that the one player he'd really like to play with is terrence shannon

Top Bottom