2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I would guess we actually have a legit offer out to Dezi Jones as Ryan James re-tweeted the top 4. This program is just in incredibly sad shape, first we have people pining for Eli King who can't get off the bench at Iowa State (a program we had never lost an in state kid to before Ben Johnson and we *allegedly* didn't want King...wonder if that's changed) and now we're in a final 4 for a kid with 3 teams from one bid leagues. Recruiting was supposed to be the slam dunk portion of Ben Johnson's resume and it has been almost as bad as the game day coaching. The one thing that stands out on Jones highlights is that he's not explosive. You'd expect a 5'10 167lb guy to be blowing past guys and he's barely turning the corner against MAAC competition. Seems like a good shooter, but getting the shot off against high major defenders will be tougher. Hopefully this is the clear third of three guard additions this Spring.
I can't disagree with you, but on the other hand i watched his highlights and thought how much quicker he looked than Cooper.....

He'd probably be all right for a second point. I think I'd prefer the son of the women's basketball coach though.
It sounds like he’s coming back from a pretty severe knee injury that’s affected his movement.

It sounds like he’s coming back from a pretty severe knee injury that’s affected his movement.

He played in 29 of SD's 31 games this year though and averaged 27.6 minutes per game. He performed reasonably well by the numbers at least. He was out the entire previous season.

He played in 29 of SD's 31 games this year though and averaged 27.6 minutes per game. He performed reasonably well by the numbers at least. He was out the entire previous season.
Sounds like the injury (2 years ago) was pretty awful.....like nearly losing your leg awful.

His senior year high school stats are pretty ridiculous. 34 points 9 rebounds and 4 assists. Player of the year in South Dakota. Hard to believe he had to start out at Augustana.....

Would be a veteran rotation guy and being the kid of a basketball coach would seem to be beneficial. We have to get older.

You can't control when players commit and the order of commitment doesn't clearly indicate the priority.
Sure, but then watch the other schools/kids use that as a reason to not come here. To me it's a bad sign if that's the first transfer we get, I don't know how CBJ history thus far would signal anything different.

It seems we are in the fold on many rotational/reserve-type guys. I hope that changes fast.

Sure, but then watch the other schools/kids use that as a reason to not come here.

So, let me get this straight. Some high schooler is going to say "I'm not going there! They took a transfer from Quinnipiac for Christ sake!" My guess is that few high schoolers outside of New England & NY even know what a "Quinnipiac" is. The university is best known for their political polling, not something I think a large share of HS basketball players follow closely.

So, let me get this straight. Some high schooler is going to say "I'm not going there! They took a transfer from Quinnipiac for Christ sake!" My guess is that few high schoolers outside of New England & NY even know what a "Quinnipiac" is. The university is best known for their political polling, not something I think a large share of HS basketball players follow closely.
“DEZI HOLD UP! Don’t announce your commitment yet, you might deter other potential kids from committing.”

Sorry, talent or not, if a kid doesn’t want to commit here because someone from Quinnipiac committed, I wouldn’t really want them on the team anyways.

He's a unique ball player and I like his game. It'll be interesting to see how much of it transfers I'm definitely more pumped about him than I was like Samuels.

He shoots a high volume and good percentage from 3, gets to the free throw line at a good clip and has pretty decent "do sh!t" stats. One of the things that I like is that he rebounds the ball really well for a 5'10" guard.

There is an incredibly interesting (to me) correlation between small guards with good rebound rates and productivity. It's like Steph Curry (I'm NOT comparing him to Curry), his rebound numbers are incredible for a guy his size and athletic makeup. He is a much better rebounder than 6'7" freak athlete Andrew Wiggins. It's because a ton of guard rebounding happens because of how you see the game - you can tell how the ball is going to bounce off the rim, you find open spots, etc.

It's a long winded way of saying a 5'10" guy who grabs 4 rebounds per game likely really see's the floor well.
Don’t forgot he’s played 4 years past high school. Sp he provides the dual role. Even when he cannot impact the game he can help the team just be being a veteran presence.

Let me get this straight....you think no coach or portal kid would see a new PG on the team and the opposing coach wouldn't say well they got a guy already so beware! And a kid might go man they got him quick they must like him.

And also let's get it straight, you think CBJ has shown any sign of how to build a team? "For christ sakes" he didn't want to upset talon Cooper or jamison battle last year so he filled out his team with a walk-on so no one got their feelings hurt.

Until CBJ proves ANYTHING to me I will only use what I've seen, and this far that has been total incompetence.

“DEZI HOLD UP! Don’t announce your commitment yet, you might deter other potential kids from committing.”

Sorry, talent or not, if a kid doesn’t want to commit here because someone from Quinnipiac committed, I wouldn’t really want them on the team anyways.
What is hilarious, is that good players like competition, they thrive on it - they don’t run from it. I use to hear this BS regarding Fleck’s over recruiting and came to the conclusion, that the posters making it likely weren’t competitive athletes themselves. As they can’t understand the motivation to beat your teammates azz in practice and show who the real Alpha is -
NANCY ALERT 🚨

Let me get this straight....you think no coach or portal kid would see a new PG on the team and the opposing coach wouldn't say well they got a guy already so beware! And a kid might go man they got him quick they must like him.

And also let's get it straight, you think CBJ has shown any sign of how to build a team? "For christ sakes" he didn't want to upset talon Cooper or jamison battle last year so he filled out his team with a walk-on so no one got their feelings hurt.

Until CBJ proves ANYTHING to me I will only use what I've seen, and this far that has been total incompetence.
If a portal kid is that big of a bitch that he knows (before signing) he can’t beat out this guy for PG, why would you want him?

An old saying - “whether you think you can, or you cant’t, you’re right.”

If he is our first commit we are done for. He's the kid you get in late April to fill out your 12th spot. If he's priority 1 then Johnson will be fired with 365 days.

Not necessarily true. With multiple scholarships to fill, knowing that we need guard depth, taking a guy who Johnson thinks can play can free up time and resources to spend on higher priorities. Scrambling at the end to fill multiple spots because the priorities fell through is how you end up handing out schollys at the rec center.

I would guess we actually have a legit offer out to Dezi Jones as Ryan James re-tweeted the top 4. This program is just in incredibly sad shape, first we have people pining for Eli King who can't get off the bench at Iowa State (a program we had never lost an in state kid to before Ben Johnson and we *allegedly* didn't want King...wonder if that's changed) and now we're in a final 4 for a kid with 3 teams from one bid leagues. Recruiting was supposed to be the slam dunk portion of Ben Johnson's resume and it has been almost as bad as the game day coaching. The one thing that stands out on Jones highlights is that he's not explosive. You'd expect a 5'10 167lb guy to be blowing past guys and he's barely turning the corner against MAAC competition. Seems like a good shooter, but getting the shot off against high major defenders will be tougher. Hopefully this is the clear third of three guard additions this Spring.

This staff will coach him up.

Sounds like the injury (2 years ago) was pretty awful.....like nearly losing your leg awful.

His senior year high school stats are pretty ridiculous. 34 points 9 rebounds and 4 assists. Player of the year in South Dakota. Hard to believe he had to start out at Augustana.....
He moves fine, he just doesn't have the burst he had pre-injury. Still a very good shooter. Before the injury he was on pace to eventually be a contender for POY in the Summit. He was good enough to be a starter at a lot of P6 schools.

My guess is that Ben has shared with his targets the fact that he needs and intends to recruit multiple guards from the transfer portal. It would be idiotic to attempt to keep something like that a secret.

As far as your other concerns, I have no comment since you and a bunch of other tedious individuals have rehashed them Ad infinitum on these pages.

Good Lord, you're sure an anxiety and rage ridden twerp. Why don't you take next season off? This college basketball stuff seems to put too much of a strain on your fragile mental health.

Last edited:

I visit this thread a few times a day hoping to see a commitment....... SIGH!!!!!!

Top Bottom