2023-24 Other Bowl Games Thread

Why they're at it try and fix the Head Coaches musical chairs. At least the ones who take off while they have a valid contract.

Though the Court's ruling on that started the whole portal thing.
Agree on that too. Coach through the bowl game. It's just another aspect of the arms race going on.

As an aside, Mike Norvell is a better man than me. I would have told anyone from the Georgia side who tried to shake my hand to "Go f*ck themselves."

Happy for Georgia of course but giving options to players before bowl season is over is mucking things up. FSU on Dec 1 was a better team than what was fielded today.

I think opting out for the NFL for the most part did not reduce teams from competitive to non-competitive in the bowl season. Portal on top of it though is doing a number.

We'll see Monday how those match-ups go. Back to the Bulldogs, obviously this would be academic if they had beaten Bama. But they didn't...

Happy for Georgia of course but giving options to players before bowl season is over is mucking things up. FSU on Dec 1 was a better team than what was fielded today.

I think opting out for the NFL for the most part did not reduce teams from competitive to non-competitive in the bowl season. Portal on top of it though is doing a number.

We'll see Monday how those match-ups go. Back to the Bulldogs, obviously this would be academic if they had beaten Bama. But they didn't...
Similar to tOSU. That was a shell of the team that played Michigan.

The playoffs will correct this for the top 12. But a lot of bad bowl games this year that resembled preseason games/rosters.

I know FSU had a ton of opt outs, should they get beat by 60? Or should OSU have no offense because of losing their qb? I thought these teams would be deeper than they apparently are, not surprised they lost, just how bad they played.

I know FSU had a ton of opt outs, should they get beat by 60? Or should OSU have no offense because of losing their qb? I thought these teams would be deeper than they apparently are, not surprised they lost, just how bad they played.
FSU was without their top two QB, top three running backs, top two receivers, tight end, and a host of defensive players. Honestly not sure about their OL but no one is going to make a game of it like that.

Similar to tOSU. That was a shell of the team that played Michigan.

The playoffs will correct this for the top 12. But a lot of bad bowl games this year that resembled preseason games/rosters.

There will be plenty of guys who opt out of playoffs and the extra games to avoid injury and NFL career. Bank on it

FSU lost by 60. Looks like the right choice was made.
hot_take_house.jpg

I'm not the least bit surprised.

Nobody playing ... and they already were shown by the committee that anything you do on the field doesn't matter anyway ...

We expected them to be motivated? Why? Committee already showed it doesn't matter if you win.

How many snaps did these guys take all year? The other thing is that 2nd-string QBs (and sometimes 1st-string QBs) are the ones entering the portal. That means 3rd- and 4th-string guys are playing the bowl games.

Florida State fans vowed to boycott the game. Many of their players, as mentioned earlier in the thread did too.

The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.

Kirby Smart: "We had our guys, and they didn't have their guys. College football has to decide what they want. I know things are changing. But there's still going to be bowl games outside of those. People need to decide what they want and what they want to get out of it, because it's really unfortunate for those kids on that sideline that had to play in that game and didn't have their full arsenal. And it affected the game, 100%."

I get that the Gophers depth doesn't equal the Seminoles depth.......but we had a lot of young and inexperienced players forced into the game this year on defense and it was bad at times. Think about that.....but half a team being forced into the game all at once? No team has the depth to bandage up that kind of attrition in the span of a few weeks.

FSU was without their top two QB, top three running backs, top two receivers, tight end, and a host of defensive players. Honestly not sure about their OL but no one is going to make a game of it like that.
The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.

It was a big F YOU to not getting in the playoff. Personally, I love it.

Florida State fans vowed to boycott the game. Many of their players, as mentioned earlier in the thread did too.

Kirby Smart: "We had our guys, and they didn't have their guys. College football has to decide what they want. I know things are changing. But there's still going to be bowl games outside of those. People need to decide what they want and what they want to get out of it, because it's really unfortunate for those kids on that sideline that had to play in that game and didn't have their full arsenal. And it affected the game, 100%."

FSU players way of sticking their thumb into ESPN/Playoff Committee's eye. Fine....we'll just make our game unwatchable crap.

People complained FSU should have been in the top 4. Today FSU showed us they did not belong in a bowl game. Today FSU told us they are not worthy of joining the B1G in both academics & athletics. Would FCS be a better fit? Would Minnesota refuse to play them until they changed their mascot like they did with University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux?

People complained FSU should have been in the top 4. Today FSU showed us they did not belong in a bowl game. Today FSU told us they are not worthy of joining the B1G in both academics & athletics. Would FCS be a better fit? Would Minnesota refuse to play them until they changed their mascot like they did with University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux?
They better not change their mascots like those cowards to our NW did

I get that the Gophers depth doesn't equal the Seminoles depth.......but we had a lot of young and inexperienced players forced into the game this year on defense and it was bad at times. Think about that.....but half a team being forced into the game all at once? No team has the depth to bandage up that kind of attrition in the span of a few weeks.
Ok, I give, did not realize they were down that many. Move along folks nothing to see here, just some guy stepped in his own sh&t.

Agree on that too. Coach through the bowl game. It's just another aspect of the arms race going on.

As an aside, Mike Norvell is a better man than me. I would have told anyone from the Georgia side who tried to shake my hand to "Go f*ck themselves."
What did Georgia do wrong I don’t get it?

5 bowl games today, and each one features a 2024 B10 team.

Pretty crazy.

5 bowl games today, and each one features a 2024 B10 team.

Pretty crazy.
The B1G is getting stronger by the 4 lasted teams added. I heard they may add 6, 8 more teams. Which 6 or 8 teams would you like to see added to bring us to 24 or 26?

It was a big F YOU to not getting in the playoff. Personally, I love it.

Wow. Yeah, that’s quite a list. I don’t think Ohio State was down nearly as many starters but obviously having a third string freshman QB on short notice and losing their best deep threat WR isn’t ideal.

There are probably some monetary carrot or stick solutions to the transfer and opt out issues making so many bowl games less meaningful than in years past but I can’t see that happening in the current climate. Fans don’t (really) care. Players are incentivized to sit out or get in the portal for a new opportunity. The CFP committee made a mockery of the game outcomes. There is a transactional feel to all this familiar to anyone in private industry and some of the spirit of CFB seems to have been lost.

Wisconsin has started strong against LSU.

1704133146488.png

Wisconsin QB Tanner Mordecai with two touchdown throws.

Oregon’s kicker is fat - dude you’re a D1 baller - save the roly poly look until your 40s.

Their unis are hideous; I’d immediately declare for the portal, if they wanted me to wear that eyesore.

Last edited:

Top Bottom