2023-24 Other Bowl Games Thread

Fully agree that Michigan fans have their own brand of arrogance.

Saw it up close when a neighbor's daughter (raised Minnesota) married into a Michigan family (she married up too...wealthy).

Mrs. Billd and Kiddo went to the wedding in Chicago and the nuptials-related events included some Michigan toasts and even some kind of ritual something (maybe sacrificing buckeye nuts on a charcoal fire or something).

Anywho, the kicker was that Katie (the daughter) was not allowed to wear any of her Gopher stuff again once she married. No house divided on that front. Her dad Mike can't stand his son-in-law but he seems to make Katie happy so that's the answer to that.

For the next week though "Go Blue!"

Agreed, until Mich beat OSU in 2021 they hadn't won a Conf Championship since 2004 and with that one win by Harbaugh the arrogance was immediately back. They quickly forgot how avg they were those 16 yrs including the Rich Rodge and Hoke eras. I wouldn't mind Wash rolling into the Conf with Natty in hand making them the top dog going into the 2024 season. I would much rather see Kalen DeBoer at the podium rather than Harbaugh as I'm sure he'll be insufferable if they win the title.
I constantly remind my Michigan buddy that they've won exactly the same number of national championships as Minnesota dating back to 1960, so keep the arrogance in check (he's usually good about that). Of course that can change with a W next Monday, but I'll reinforce that message as much as I can until then.

I constantly remind my Michigan buddy that they've won exactly the same number of national championships as Minnesota dating back to 1960, so keep the arrogance in check (he's usually good about that). Of course that can change with a W next Monday, but I'll reinforce that message as much as I can until then.
i do the same to my significant other and made a point to tell her last night i was so happy that she as a long suffering fan of michigan sports finally got to see a win and that as a minnesotan, i completely understand just how difficult they've had it. she was not super impressed :cautious:

You have a point, and I'll admit I hadn't considered that angle yet. If I was in that position though, I'd still opt out to prevent injury. Even a hamstring issue or mild ankle sprain could linger into spring ball and I'd want to be 100% healthy since I'm going to a new team.

I think that's more of a concern for the "high tier" guys like you mentioned, as they'll be just fine getting NIL thrown at them anyways.

Plus, and this is the shady part that we can't comment on with 100% accuracy, but aren't players going to reach out through their old high school coach or whatever anyways? Don't they already do that (at regular season's end)?
in that way i can see it both ways.

For the high tier guys, if it's a mid tier or lower game, you're probably sitting out. That won't change no matter what.

But for those depth guys who maybe didn't see a ton of action who may transfer, it allows you one more game where maybe the depth chart is a little more open (see above opt outs) to flash your skills and give yourself a market without having to worry that the spots are all taken by people who chose to chance it entering the portal. Instead it also gives you the chance to go out with your guys and not have to be paranoid about there being no one left afterwards.

The shady stuff will be what it is, but I think this gives you more the best of both worlds if no one can sign/commit elsewhere until the season is done for everyone. you can still choose to opt out if you want, but at least you aren't doing so because you're pressured in because the number of available options may go down.

Aren't most of Michigan's best players going pro? A few of them passed up going pro last year to give it one more shot because they were so disappointed. They should likely be humble moving forward because next year might not be so great. Michigan doesn't just reload from recruiting like OSU, Georgia and Alabama do. Isn't it likely a lot of their guys cash in while their stock is the highest?

Yes it was. Perhaps I’m wrong about Michigan??

I was wrong. More specifically, Alabama’s defense didn’t look as big or athletic or as fast as year’s past. Michigan will hopefully be torpedoed by the beautiful arm of Michael Penix Jr or…good LORD am I going to have to put up with crowing from the most annoying fans in the world, the boys in blue from UMich.

DeBoer, we’re all counting on you.

"The Bulldogs' 60-point win represents the largest margin of victory ever in a bowl game."

Article Link:

"After Rose Bowl, Georgia, Not FSU, Has Biggest College Football Playoff Beef"

Next season I don't know who would even want FSU in a bowl game. Maybe the Mountain West will have them.

"The Bulldogs' 60-point win represents the largest margin of victory ever in a bowl game."

Article Link:

"After Rose Bowl, Georgia, Not FSU, Has Biggest College Football Playoff Beef"

Next season I don't know who would even want FSU in a bowl game. Maybe the Mountain West will have them.
I don’t think a bowl game is going to start getting picky …. They are not in a position of power.

You can go back farther and use “since 1950”.

Technically, you can use 1949, since michigan won a natty in 1948, but 1950 is a nice round number.

Fully agree that Michigan fans have their own brand of arrogance.

Saw it up close when a neighbor's daughter (raised Minnesota) married into a Michigan family (she married up too...wealthy).

Mrs. Billd and Kiddo went to the wedding in Chicago and the nuptials-related events included some Michigan toasts and even some kind of ritual something (maybe sacrificing buckeye nuts on a charcoal fire or something).

Anywho, the kicker was that Katie (the daughter) was not allowed to wear any of her Gopher stuff again once she married. No house divided on that front. Her dad Mike can't stand his son-in-law but he seems to make Katie happy so that's the answer to that.

For the next week though "Go Blue!"
I hope that entire family experiences explosive diarrhea beginning at kickoff.

Top Bottom