2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Mock Izzo at your own risk.

But there’s no doubt about it, Spartacular has significant work to do to keep the NCAA streak alive. Can not really afford any bad losses and at some point will have to win a road game over a decent team.

But there’s no doubt about it, Spartacular has significant work to do to keep the NCAA streak alive. Can not really afford any bad losses and at some point will have to win a road game over a decent team.
Would not shock me at all for them to finish well and get to the dance:

F31FF039-FB8A-4C2C-8858-A8868029BF36.jpeg

I was in and out of the game last night but from what I saw it had the classic look of a team pressing. Missing shots it should make. Not making basic plays. And generally not playing relaxed. A lot like teams on the edge of making the tournament look like in February. It’s sad,

There’s not many opportunities for quad 1 wins in that schedule, I believe MSU sits at 1-6 against quad 1. However, even at 1-4 now, they should get to 13-7 by chalk alone. That’ll get them in.

There’s not many opportunities for quad 1 wins in that schedule, I believe MSU sits at 1-6 against quad 1. However, even at 1-4 now, they should get to 13-7 by chalk alone. That’ll get them in.

MSU will make for a good test case. They've got 3 top 50 wins in the non-conference portion of the schedule(Baylor, Butler and Indiana State) and all their losses are quality losses IMO. They have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way so if they avoid bad losses, I think they'll be fine. I think 20-11 probably gets them in, which would require going 11-4.

MSU will make for a good test case. They've got 3 top 50 wins in the non-conference portion of the schedule(Baylor, Butler and Indiana State) and all their losses are quality losses IMO. They have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way so if they avoid bad losses, I think they'll be fine. I think 20-11 probably gets them in, which would require going 11-4.
MSU is a really hard team to get a read on this year. Their 1-4 conference record is probably not an accurate reflection of the team but they have struggled away from home this season so far.

But we all know they have a lot of talent on the roster and Izzo usually finds a way to get them playing at a high level by the time the tournament roles around.

Only 17 games being played today

Boise State @ Nevada (Both undefeated in early conference)
Dayton @ Duquesne (Flyers looking for their 10h straight win)
Stetson @ Queens (Think the Royals are the 19th D1 basketball team in North Carolina)

Utah State Aggies tied for longest current win streak with 14. Danny Sprinkle has it going on.
Samford Bulldogs also with 14. They clash with Western Carolina on Jan 16th. Probably for the top spot in the Southern Conference
Detroit Mercy still hanging on to the longest current losing streak at 17
Purdue is the only BIG team that is undefeated on home court thus far this season
Gophers with the longest current win streak of BIG teams at 7 games

Would not shock me at all for them to finish well and get to the dance:

View attachment 29501

In part because of their non-conference schedule, I think Spartacular will be in pretty good shape if they get to 11-9. They have strong predictive numbers (currently #17 in KenPom), they'd be 19-12 heading to Minneapolis for the BTT, and the Baylor, Butler, and (perhaps) Indiana State wins will be helpful.

MSU's biggest issue (pressure) now is they've put themselves in a position where there's little margin for error. They really can't afford many (any?) really bad losses. Rutgers in East Lansing (on Sunday) certainly fits in that category.

MSU is a really hard team to get a read on this year. Their 1-4 conference record is probably not an accurate reflection of the team but they have struggled away from home this season so far.

But we all know they have a lot of talent on the roster and Izzo usually finds a way to get them playing at a high level by the time the tournament roles around.
I've pointed something like this out before, but would it surprise you to know that MSU is now 32-32 in conference since the 20-21 season? On the road, they are 10-23 in the same time period.

I've pointed something like this out before, but would it surprise you to know that MSU is now 32-32 in conference since the 20-21 season? On the road, they are 10-23 in the same time period.
They definitely get by a lot on the perception of how good they have been and even more so on what they tend to do in March. Those records are a little surprising though as I knew they had not been dominant in the Big Ten for a while but didn't realize they were sitting at .500 over the past few seasons.

Only 17 games being played today

Boise State @ Nevada (Both undefeated in early conference)
Dayton @ Duquesne (Flyers looking for their 10h straight win)
Stetson @ Queens (Think the Royals are the 19th D1 basketball team in North Carolina)

Utah State Aggies tied for longest current win streak with 14. Danny Sprinkle has it going on.
Samford Bulldogs also with 14. They clash with Western Carolina on Jan 16th. Probably for the top spot in the Southern Conference
Detroit Mercy still hanging on to the longest current losing streak at 17
Purdue is the only BIG team that is undefeated on home court thus far this season
Gophers with the longest current win streak of BIG teams at 7 games
Yeah I think Danny Sprinkle can bring it on the coaching side, similar to when he played. Pretty good player…..

Nebraska beats the #1 team in the nation (Purdue) by 16 points at home. Three days later....they get blown out by a 9-6 (1-3) Iowa team in Iowa City.

Home court has been a giant advantage this year.

Nebraska beats the #1 team in the nation (Purdue) by 16 points at home. Three days later....they get blown out by a 9-6 (1-3) Iowa team in Iowa City.

Home court has been a giant advantage this year.
The game was tied 50-50 at one point. It's not like they were never in the game (like a certain team we know and love).

I mean, he did run into the guy, but is that normally called?

Looked more like a mutual collison. Something that probably isn't called in the middle of the game. To make that call at that point? I'd be sick to my stomach if I were a UNLV fan.

Top Bottom