2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Is the 3 second lane violation no longer a thing?

LeDee from San Diego State violates it every trip down.

Last edited:

Not watching the game, just checking the box score of the DePaul game against Creighton. Looks as if Henley's minutes are down in this one. All 0's for Jaden except for 1 turnover. Tough sledding for the Blue Demons this year.
That DePaul can’t field a competitive team is one of the real mysteries in college basketball. Fertile ground for talent. The lure of a bid city and recently built facilities should create a competitive if not dominant program. Unbelievable.

For all the Missouri Valley fans it’s
Indiana State @ Drake
Providence @ St John’s
Purdue FW @ Youngstown St (Horizon standings get messy if the Penguins win)
Kansas @ UCF (1 and 2 went down last night)
Western Kentucky @ Sam Houston (Hilltoppers the best in Conference USA?)
North Carolina @ North Carolina State
Oklahoma @ TCU
Arkansas @ Georgia (Rough year thus far for the Razorbacks. 6th loss for them tonight?)
Butler @ Marquette
Florida @ Ole Miss
Stetson @ Kennesaw State (Big matchup in the ASUN)
UNC Asheville @ Highpoint (Panthers looking to hold on to the top spot in the Big South)

Not watching the game, just checking the box score of the DePaul game against Creighton. Looks as if Henley's minutes are down in this one. All 0's for Jaden except for 1 turnover. Tough sledding for the Blue Demons this year.
Box score looks good for him. Finished with 12 points on 3 of 5 field goals and 5 of 6 free throws in 24 minutes.

And Purdue goes down! #1 and #2 lose on the same night!
It is funny how different college football and college basketball are. In football you have the same handful of teams dominating every year. In basketball there are teams you can count on to be good most years but there are very few teams that are truly dominant these days. Lots of parity in basketball, not a ton in football.

That DePaul can’t field a competitive team is one of the real mysteries in college basketball. Fertile ground for talent. The lure of a bid city and recently built facilities should create a competitive if not dominant program. Unbelievable.
The basketball arena is nice, except its not on campus, parking by McCormick Place is a bear.

Sometimes they wear jerseys that say “Southside” instead of Chicago St. So, I’m guessing they’re in the baddest part of town.

I believe they’re joining the NEC next year.
They are joining it. They must have really spent the money on travel when they were in the WAC
Interesting on the jerseys. Thanks.

They are joining it. They must have really spent the money on travel when they were in the WAC
Interesting on the jerseys. Thanks.
usa_today_19670232.0.jpg

Is the 3 second lane violation no longer a thing?

LeDee from San Diego State violates it every trip down.
I didn’t watch the SDS game. But I can clarify the three second rules based on my 33 years experience as a high school official and 12 years D2 and D3 official. If a Player is leaving the lane you don’t whistle him for a 3 second violation. If he has received the ball in the lane and is at 3 seconds but makes a move to shoot that’s ok. But in the previous example if he passes instead of shoots while still in the lane that is a violation. Having a heel on the lane line is unlikely to be called because it doesn’t give an advantage. Most officials are patient with the 3 second call. That doesn’t cover everything but some of the most obvious examples.

I didn’t watch the SDS game. But I can clarify the three second rules based on my 33 years experience as a high school official and 12 years D2 and D3 official. If a Player is leaving the lane you don’t whistle him for a 3 second violation. If he has received the ball in the lane and is at 3 seconds but makes a move to shoot that’s ok. But in the previous example if he passes instead of shoots while still in the lane that is a violation. Having a heel on the lane line is unlikely to be called because it doesn’t give an advantage. Most officials are patient with the 3 second call. That doesn’t cover everything but some of the most obvious examples.
Ok, Mr Bobek, what’s your interpretation of what happened with the basket last game? If you don’t feel like it explaining it, I understand.

Appreciate the reply. I only commented because it was so egregious. I typically am not looking for that while watching a game like SDS/San Jose, but I noticed it on one play, and when they showed the replay, I was thinking "Oh, I guess it's not that bad, it only looks like 6 seconds because of the slo-mo replay. Then it hit me that the replay was in regular speed, so I started paying closer attention to LeDee. There were at least 3 times that he was in the lane, both feet on the paint, not straddling or anything, holding off his defender and calling for the ball for at least 5 seconds, and then he got the ball, would work down lower in the lane and take a shot. I simply can't believe it was not called once. Or maybe I don't understand the rule.

Ok, Mr Bobek, what’s your interpretation of what happened with the basket last game? If you don’t feel like it explaining it, I understand.
If you are referring to the basket interference none call, that was a badly missed call. These referees are very experienced. There is no excuse at this level! I’m sure their evaluation was downgraded by their supervisor because of that missed call, which can impact later assignments.

Last edited:

If you are referring to the basket interference call, that was a badly missed call. These referees are very experienced. There is no excuse at this level! I’m sure their evaluation was downgraded by their supervisor because of that missed call, which can impact later assignments.
Thank you for the answer. Appreciated.

Battle 3/4 from 3 with 11 points against Bucky. 8:00 left in first half.

Top Bottom