2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Gonna be tough for the Missouri game to be anything but a Q3 loss at this point. Doesn't look like they'll be a top 75 team.

Not watching the game, but Iowa State way up on Florida A&M. Lipsey with what looks like another good outing.

Doesn't MSU know it serves no benefit to schedule an in-state low major? If they lose this one, Reusse will have a field day.
No, it shows MSU, and most other B1G teams are not afraid to schedule in-state D1 teams, like some other team we know.

BIG games today
Michigan State hosts Oakland

That might be a decent game. Oakland has played a number of teams pretty tough this season. Interesting fact about Oakland: their initial D1 basketball season was 1999-2000 and they've had the same coach for the last 25 years. Don't see a lot of that these days.

That might be a decent game. Oakland has played a number of teams pretty tough this season. Interesting fact about Oakland: their initial D1 basketball season was 1999-2000 and they've had the same coach for the last 25 years. Don't see a lot of that these days.
The other one that comes to mind is that Davidson had the same coach for 33 years (Bob McKillop), and now his son is the coach. You REALLY don't see that much anymore.

BIG games today
Michigan State hosts Oakland

Oakland senior guard, Rocket Watts, played his first two years for the Spartans after being a top-40 guy out of high school. Might deliver some extra fireworks.

That dude is a trip. Had to look at him about 3 or 4 times because I couldn't believe it was him they were saying was so good.
For some reason he didn't play in the game they lost to Alabama.
edit: Looks like he didn't play in their first two games. Maybe hur

That dude is a trip. Had to look at him about 3 or 4 times because I couldn't believe it was him they were saying was so good.
For some reason he didn't play in the game they lost to Alabama.
edit: Looks like he didn't play in their first two games. Maybe hurt?
I looked it up and he missed his first 2 games because of a back injury. I watched part of the game against Ball St and he made a pass from the top of the key to a baseline cut to the hoop that most guards wouldn't be able to make. Dude has the skills of Jokic

Oakland senior guard, Rocket Watts, played his first two years for the Spartans after being a top-40 guy out of high school. Might deliver some extra fireworks.
Richard Pitino offered Rocket Watts out of high school. We also played against him in Ben Johnson's first year when he was playing for Mississippi State. He scored 8 points on 3-7 shooting off the bench.

Richard Pitino offered Rocket Watts out of high school. We also played against him in Ben Johnson's first year when he was playing for Mississippi State. He scored 8 points on 3-7 shooting off the bench.

He's now in his 5th year and he still isn't playing like you would expect the #35 player in his class to play, especially in his 5th season.

BIG games today
Indiana at home vs Morehead State
Michigan faces Florida in Charlotte, NC (2nd game for Florida at this arena this season.)
Maryland at home against Nicholls

Last edited:

Couple good ones
Virginia @ Memphis
Marquette @ Providence

Quite a few Div 1 schools dipping into Div 2 and even 3 for opponents last week or so.

Quite a few Div 1 schools dipping into Div 2 and even 3 for opponents last week or so.
I’ve noticed that, too. Many of them are lower level D1 teams against D2. Obviously they don’t count for tournament qualification. I’m wondering if it’s just harder for them to get games or a calculation that it doesn’t matter since they are one bid leagues no matter what.

I’ve noticed that, too. Many of them are lower level D1 teams against D2. Obviously they don’t count for tournament qualification. I’m wondering if it’s just harder for them to get games or a calculation that it doesn’t matter since they are one bid leagues no matter what.
Apparently scheduling is very challenging. Some of the lower conferences are creating conference challenges but a lot has to line up for those to work out.

For Summit League teams, Western Illinois late departure created challenges and lead to most teams scheduling 3 or 4 D3 (or worse) matchups, including that NDSU - Oak Hill massacre.

Apparently scheduling is very challenging. Some of the lower conferences are creating conference challenges but a lot has to line up for those to work out.

For Summit League teams, Western Illinois late departure created challenges and lead to most teams scheduling 3 or 4 D3 (or worse) matchups, including that NDSU - Oak Hill massacre.
I’m not sure where the Leathernecks even ended up. I’m falling behind.

I’m not sure where the Leathernecks even ended up. I’m falling behind.
OVC. They played one last season (of getting slaughtered) in the MVFC for football, but already transitioned for hoops and everything else. They'll be OVC for football next year.

Indiana getting their stool pushed in by Morehead, 36-25 at half.

Indiana getting their stool pushed in by Morehead, 36-25 at half.

I'm delighted to see that. I particularly liked the way Morehead closed out the half. Indiana cut the lead to 7 and rushed to take a quick shot in order to get another possession before halftime.
They missed the shot, Morehead made one on their end, then Indiana lost the ball driving to the hoop and a Morehead player drove down the court for a dunk to put the lead back to 11. Well done!

Uncle Ed and his Citadel team up 16 on Shrewsberry's Notre Dame at the under-8 timeout. (Man, Notre Dame is bad. Their game against Louisville will be a real Sickos matchup)

In less than three minutes into the second half, Indiana cut an 11 point lead to 4. C'mon Morehead. Get it together and keep this game interesting.

Xavier Johnson is on the bench for Indiana (they hope to have him back for the true start of the conference). They flashed a graphic that he is one of 7 D1 basketball players who were born before 2000.
Pretty sure Jack Wilson is also one of those 7. (Don't know when Parker Fox's birthdate is but he could be too)

Top Bottom