2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

How come no one can hit a free throw anymore? Ill vs IU is brick city. Indiana 10 for 18, Illinois 7 for 14. 53 -50 late 2nd half. Indiana hasn't hit a 3 either.

How come no one can hit a free throw anymore? Ill vs IU is brick city. Indiana 10 for 18, Illinois 7 for 14. 53 -50 late 2nd half. Indiana hasn't hit a 3 either.
You need to play for the Gophers to hit free throws! 😂

More seriously, I’ll go with maturity. The game, for the most part, is being played by younger players. Plus, I don’t think they practice them as much as in the past. There are a lot of guys who have brutal form and violate the sacrosanct rule of doing the same thing every time. It’s ugly.

Good spot for the Gophers getting NW after a performance like this. Law of averages say they can't play as good.
Hmmm? I wouldn’t count on that. I watched them beat both Illinois and Purdue. Buie can really distribute, they have a number of shooters, make few mistakes, great ball movement, and their Bigs are very reliable. They are a dangerous team, now 6-3. And Collins is a very good coach!

Northwestern is waxing Ohio State. I’m pleased to see the Suckeyes go down, but shocked to see them underperform.
Is Holtman in trouble at OSU? After a great first year- he is well under .500 at OSU in conference since then.

Good spot for the Gophers getting NW after a performance like this. Law of averages say they can't play as good.
They also play in West Lafayette on Wednesday during the Gophers "bye" week. Not sure how this changes the calculus - they could get their letdown out of their system there, or hey, they could come out and beat Purdue again and be primed for a Chicago State-style letdown against us instead.

Hmmm? I wouldn’t count on that. I watched them beat both Illinois and Purdue. Buie can really distribute, they have a number of shooters, make few mistakes, great ball movement, and their Bigs are very reliable. They are a dangerous team, now 6-3.
They play really good defense. Solid on both ends.

Hmmm? I wouldn’t count on that. I watched them beat both Illinois and Purdue. Buie can really distribute, they have a number of shooters, make few mistakes, great ball movement, and their Bigs are very reliable. They are a dangerous team, now 6-3. And Collins is a very good coach!

Natural spot for a letdown. They are a good team, but very vulnerable on the road.

They also play in West Lafayette on Wednesday during the Gophers "bye" week. Not sure how this changes the calculus - they could get their letdown out of their system there, or hey, they could come out and beat Purdue again and be primed for a Chicago State-style letdown against us instead.

That's a good call. I'm gonna guess Purdue beats them by like 20+. Honestly, probably hurts our chances some. Didn't realize they had a game prior to ours. Damn.

Is Holtman in trouble at OSU? After a great first year- he is well under .500 at OSU in conference since then.
I don’t follow coaching gossip and Ohio State is usually patient with basketball compared to football. But it doesn’t look good from afar. I’m not disappointed but still shocked.

I don’t follow coaching gossip and Ohio State is usually patient with basketball compared to football. But it doesn’t look good from afar. I’m not disappointed but still shocked.

I have some OSU buddies, and they want him gone. They started to sour on him last year.

Can you imagine what this board would be like if the roster looked like Ohio State's and had 3 conference wins? Must be chaos on the Buckeye board.

You need to play for the Gophers to hit free throws! 😂

More seriously, I’ll go with maturity. The game, for the most part, is being played by younger players. Plus, I don’t think they practice them as much as in the past. There are a lot of guys who have brutal form and violate the sacrosanct rule of doing the same thing every time. It’s ugly.

You might be correct! But, ironically, its only because both of you are actually wrong

Turns out D1 as a whole is currently shooting 71.4% from the FT line, which would be 3rd best all time and only 0.3% off the record. Each of the last two seasons have seen a 71.7% FT average.

This season is also the second oldest in the Kenpom database, roughly on par with the 2022 season and trailing only 2023 in terms of total experience.

So it turns out that, recently at least, FT percentage and total player experience have trended quite closely. But they've both moved in the opposite direction than you may have guessed

Last edited:

I’d say yes.

Back to back appearances in Weakling Wednesday would probably do the trick. Maybe the A.D. situation (Gene Smith retiring) saves him for another year?

What does the 7220 mean on the court? Elevation like the Nuggets do on their court?
That’s correct. I can also tell you that CSU and Wyoming are each other’s biggest rivals, and the campuses are about an hour apart. Wyo was pretty good a couple of years ago, but got decimated by injuries and the portal - their star center is now on Gonzaga (Ike).

I agree it depends on how patient they are with him. I personally wouldn't pass judgment based on one down year, but their administration might get itchy. But the trend isn't good. Weren't they a #2 seed a couple, three years ago?

I agree it depends on how patient they are with him. I personally wouldn't pass judgment based on one down year, but their administration might get itchy. But the trend isn't good. Weren't they a #2 seed a couple, three years ago?
They had a bad year last year too. Partially injury related but bad nevertheless. Partially recovered in a nice conference tournament run.

Top Bottom