2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

May not be a firing - but the Athletic has a long article about the situation with Michigan Coach Juwan Howard. Reports of physical altercations, or threatened physical altercations between Howard and players, and between Howard and staff members.

Sounds like a former strength and conditioning coach is furnishing a lot of the information.

considering the Wolverines have fallen from a #1 seed to last in the B1G over a 5-year period, you have to think Howard's position was already shaky. the additional allegations have to turn up the heat.

FWIW - the article notes that Michigan has apparently had several would-be transfers who were not granted admission by the school. How sketchy do you have to be in order to be denied admission in this day and age?
And he gone....

That's the problem, DePaul was hiring these coaches that were trying to pad their retirement, no fire and bringing back Dave Leiteo blasted them back another 30 years.
Was Pat Kennedy the coach when they reeled in Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams, Paul McPherson?

May not be a firing - but the Athletic has a long article about the situation with Michigan Coach Juwan Howard. Reports of physical altercations, or threatened physical altercations between Howard and players, and between Howard and staff members.

Sounds like a former strength and conditioning coach is furnishing a lot of the information.

considering the Wolverines have fallen from a #1 seed to last in the B1G over a 5-year period, you have to think Howard's position was already shaky. the additional allegations have to turn up the heat.

FWIW - the article notes that Michigan has apparently had several would-be transfers who were not granted admission by the school. How sketchy do you have to be in order to be denied admission in this day and age?
Maybe need to prove you are a real student. Amazing development.

Great get for DePaul (as good as they could've ever hoped for), but I wonder why Holtmann took this. It's got to be one of the hardest places to win in college sports. Horrible facilities, the worst team in their conference and only the third best program in Chicago. Only place to go is up, I guess.
Tell that to Ray Meyer, one of the nicest guys you could have ever met. He had DePaul as consistent winners and top 10 in college basketball.

That's the problem, DePaul was hiring these coaches that were trying to pad their retirement, no fire and bringing back Dave Leiteo blasted them back another 30 years.

To be fair to Leiteo, he was pretty good there during his first stint. The two coaches between his stints certainly were worse than him.

Howard out, 1 great year, 3 avg 1 bad and Michigan says we can do better. MN has 2 disaster years and a below average one and half the fan base is happy to have him back. 🤦‍♂️
Dumb. Howard inherited a top 4 Big Ten program from Beilein and went backwards and took last place this year. Johnson followed a coach who was fired and had a better year than his two previous. Yeah, real similar.

Tell that to Ray Meyer, one of the nicest guys you could have ever met. He had DePaul as consistent winners and top 10 in college basketball.
That was 40 years ago. The landscape of college basketball has, you may say, changed since then.

I don't have the data to prove one way or another but how many of these "local connection hires" work out in the long run? It seems like we have a number that have failed miserably (Mullin/Ewing/Howard/Whalen to name a few).
Izzo.

Dan Monson to be the first coach immediately hired back at a job he was just fired from?
Fans take conference tournaments more seriously than administrators. I think it would be awesome to see Monson make the tournament on his way out the door. And I think he would be satisfied as well and still be okay moving on. He’s getting out of the grind while he can still enjoy life and his family.

This is an interesting (i.e underwhelming) hire by Ohio State.

Top Bottom