2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I'm trying to think of a reason to be happy about this. The only things I can come up with is that he doesn't turn the ball over much and is a good free throw shooter. Ben seems to have a soft spot for those guys from elite schools.
All comes down to what we are looking at Samuels for. If it is to be a starter, yeah he is pretty underwhelming. If we are looking at him to fill a backup role on the other hand he makes sense. Not going to get exciting prospects to want to come in and be a backup.

All comes down to what we are looking at Samuels for. If it is to be a starter, yeah he is pretty underwhelming. If we are looking at him to fill a backup role on the other hand he makes sense. Not going to get exciting prospects to want to come in and be a backup.
If we are looking at Samuels as a starter then we have big problems. It either would mean Cooper is not that good or our freshman guards aren't that good or both. He has to be a depth guy who plays a little bit as a change of pace from Cooper and I think that is the situation.

Tells me we are closing in on Charlie Daniels territory possibly. Strong apparently not coming here? Strange after a few weeks he wouldn’t have committed. Samuels maybe could give us a few minutes as a backup point guard but that’s not the glaring need right now.
with 3 schollys to use yet one can easily see why looking at a back up point guard seems pretty logical...

If in fact Samuels does sign, I’m going to look at it, for now, as a replacement for Thiam on the roster. Now those other two spots….
maybe BJ thinks more highly of his freshman wings Carrington and Henley then this board does......he recruited them to play and maybe he hasnt had anyone take a visit here who he thinks is that much of an upgrade over those two....

I see things a lot different than you. It doesn't matter if a kid is Lebron. If you are a very good basketball player today that has value, and it only makes sense for kids and their families to be treated accordingly. While life isn't fair, choosing where one plays college basketball - if they are good enough to have options - isn't whining or being less of a man. "You offered me a spot on the roster. At that other school I get a spot on the roster and some local business I know nothing about tosses in a few hundred thousand. Sorry, but I'm going to go there." Makes total sense to me.
Agree to disagree. College athletes are professionals now, they sign contacts for $$. To me when you sign a contract you should be bound to that. Not hey I'm happy today, tomorrow when a guy signs for more I quit. Thats being a whiner. No different than when a Cook or Adams is under contract for another year or 2 and says they are sitting out, that to me is total BS. You signed the deal, if you didn't want it then you shouldnt have signed it. I get wanting to max out your money potential, but in my eyes there should be a modicum of respect and loyalty paid when you sign a contract.

maybe BJ thinks more highly of his freshman wings Carrington and Henley then this board does......he recruited them to play and maybe he hasnt had anyone take a visit here who he thinks is that much of an upgrade over those two....
The true freshman are a massive X-Factor in all this. It is dangerous to have to rely on true freshman to be ready right away but it isn't unheard of. Especially if you are not asking them to come in and dominate right off the bat.

Obviously none of us knows for sure but it could be possible that Johnson could view some combination of Carrington/Henley as good enough to fill that off guard role this season.

My gut instinct is that they look to bring in a least one more transfer guard with the potential to start next season. But anything could happen and all we can do is sit tight and see what they decide to do over the next few weeks.

Taurus shot 36.5% (31% 3PT), 9.4 PPG and 1.7 APG as a junior. He is 6'0" 175 lbs. 81% FT shooter.

Interestingly had two of his best games against high majors, 23 points on 6/10 3PT against Georgetown (no assists), and 22 points on 7/13 shooting against Stanford.

It looks like Dartmouth did not have a true PG, with their leaders averaging 1.9 and 1.8 APG so he is more of a combo guard.

He could be a nice veteran presence off the bench, but I do not think he is being brought in as a starter. It makes me wonder if Ben is not selling playing time to an off guard because he anticipates Carrington/Henley seeing a lot of minutes...which is why we are looking to fill this spot with a bench piece.

To the people saying "we have 3 scholarships left be patient" it is unusual in the transfer portal world to take backups first and then fill in starters. If we are bringing in this guy for a visit, I don't think we are in the running for players of the McIntosh/Stewart/Jones caliber anymore.

Tells me we are closing in on Charlie Daniels territory possibly. Strong apparently not coming here? Strange after a few weeks he wouldn’t have committed. Samuels maybe could give us a few minutes as a backup point guard but that’s not the glaring need right now.
I don't see it that way Charlie Daniels was a little used reserve center at Stephen F Austin. This dude been the starting PG at Dartmouth for two years, realistically it's probably the best we can do to get an older experienced player to come in and play 5-8 minutes a night.

Taurus shot 36.5% (31% 3PT), 9.4 PPG and 1.7 APG as a junior. He is 6'0" 175 lbs. 81% FT shooter.

Interestingly had two of his best games against high majors, 23 points on 6/10 3PT against Georgetown (no assists), and 22 points on 7/13 shooting against Stanford.

It looks like Dartmouth did not have a true PG, with their leaders averaging 1.9 and 1.8 APG so he is more of a combo guard.

He could be a nice veteran presence off the bench, but I do not think he is being brought in as a starter. It makes me wonder if Ben is not selling playing time to an off guard because he anticipates Carrington/Henley seeing a lot of minutes...which is why we are looking to fill this spot with a bench piece.

To the people saying "we have 3 scholarships left be patient" it is unusual in the transfer portal world to take backups first and then fill in starters. If we are bringing in this guy for a visit, I don't think we are in the running for players of the McIntosh/Stewart/Jones caliber anymore.
This to me is starting to say desperation. Nothing elite, just a "hey we have a spot and you played before, its your spot!" Getting that Daniels feeling....

Agree to disagree. College athletes are professionals now, they sign contacts for $$. To me when you sign a contract you should be bound to that. Not hey I'm happy today, tomorrow when a guy signs for more I quit. Thats being a whiner. No different than when a Cook or Adams is under contract for another year or 2 and says they are sitting out, that to me is total BS. You signed the deal, if you didn't want it then you shouldnt have signed it. I get wanting to max out your money potential, but in my eyes there should be a modicum of respect and loyalty paid when you sign a contract.
Happens everyday in the real world at all levels of the job market

Seems to me they are interested in Samuels being the backup pg probably play 10-12 minutes.. Is Samuels interested? Ryan James said Larsen from CDH was not interested in that role.. maybe this kid is…

This to me is starting to say desperation. Nothing elite, just a "hey we have a spot and you played before, its your spot!" Getting that Daniels feeling....
I'm still good. This is a back up PG. If we get him and Walton or Jones or some other surprise SG that can put up some numbers and play D, I am all good to close the books on recruiting, give the last to Ramberg and call it a B level success.

Payne/Garcia/Thompson
Fox/Ihnen
Battle/ Joseph
Carrington/Henley/Walton or Jones
Cooper/ Samuels
Ramberg

That's a way better roster than last year and would give us a chance to compete perhaps at the .500 or better level in the Big Ten. It would have some buffer room for injury to anyone other than Garcia or Battle.

I'm still good. This is a back up PG. If we get him and Walton or Jones or some other surprise SG that can put up some numbers and play D, I am all good to close the books on recruiting, give the last to Ramberg and call it a B level success.

Payne/Garcia/Thompson
Fox/Ihnen
Battle/ Joseph
Cooper/ Samuels
Ramberg

That's a way better roster than last year and would give us a chance to compete perhaps at the .500 or better level in the Big Ten. It would have some buffer room for injury to anyone other than Garcia or Battle.
That is about where I am at also.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't see what that has to do with the extra 2 scholarships we have available. We still need to use those scholarships.

Payne/Garcia/Thompson
Fox/Ihnen
Battle/ Joseph
Cooper/ Samuels
Ramberg

Yeah, we need a backup option at PG and a guy like Samuels would seem like an ideal fit for that. Comparing this potential move to getting Daniels is not fair because the situations are totally different.

Not every transfer is going to be a starter/star. We have a backcourt in need of depth and maybe Samuels is a guy who is willing to come play a reserve role for his final year of college ball at the Big Ten level since his basketball career is almost certainly over after next season.

Extremely nauseating and I’ll be at a point in a few years where I don’t follow it at all.

This could have been avoided when Northwestern athletes wanted to unionize several years ago, but the NCAA's stupidity and greed, i.e. thier failure to manage that and the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit has lead us here, to an unregulated and inequitable pro sports league.
Heading to minor pro league territory. Sparce crowds and declining TV viewership.

Professional athletes have agents who have worked in a system and know how to maximize the worth of their clients. They can sleep at night trusting the system. Worth and value are shifting in the NIL market right now, and no one is able to represent these players adequately.

The true freshman are a massive X-Factor in all this. It is dangerous to have to rely on true freshman to be ready right away but it isn't unheard of. Especially if you are not asking them to come in and dominate right off the bat.

Obviously none of us knows for sure but it could be possible that Johnson could view some combination of Carrington/Henley as good enough to fill that off guard role this season.

My gut instinct is that they look to bring in a least one more transfer guard with the potential to start next season. But anything could happen and all we can do is sit tight and see what they decide to do over the next few weeks.
We know what he wants: an experienced combo starting guard who shoots 40% from three. We don't know if that dream will come true and Ben is willing to go with Carrington/Henley if the right transfer can't be enticed to sign. In this case a decent backup PG is essential.

The weird part of this is that Wong did not actually sign a contract that forces him to play for the university of Miami, since NIL cannot officially contain stipulations that a player must play for a certain university. So, by transferring, he isn’t actually breaking any contract, and I can’t imagine he’d lose his NIL either, as that would require the person providing the NIL to admit he was paying him to come to Miami.

Maybe I’m wrong with how this will play out or actually be enforced, but it feels like the players really do have a ton of power right now.

The weird part of this is that Wong did not actually sign a contract that forces him to play for the university of Miami, since NIL cannot officially contain stipulations that a player must play for a certain university. So, by transferring, he isn’t actually breaking any contract, and I can’t imagine he’d lose his NIL either, as that would require the person providing the NIL to admit he was paying him to come to Miami.

Maybe I’m wrong with how this will play out or actually be enforced, but it feels like the players really do have a ton of power right now.

What is a "contract" I don't know but Ruiz specifically says "under contract". So I assume if he does leave he would lose all that money.

Does he even have an offer? Does visit equal offer? I’m not sure.

What is a "contract" I don't know but Ruiz specifically says "under contract". So I assume if he does leave he would lose all that money.
If he does transfer this will be a really interesting one to watch to see what happens with the agreements he had in place since they can't be tied directly to the school. I am sure a lot of people will be paying really close attention to how this one plays out.

Top Bottom