2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Do we wait until they need to withdraw from draft or is that too risky and aiming too high?
Looking at our team with Garcia, Battle, Fox, Ihnen a nice frosh class and a pass first point guard, Ben now has a lot to sell to a combo guard that can put the ball in the basket. Big Ten team, roster needing one piece to compete a tourney spot, big minutes. Gotta shoot high here. If we miss, and don't have enough to compete at that level, then I want to play the frosh at the 2 spot anyway (Carrington and Henley). Shoot the moon.

are you thinking what I'm thinking?
If you are thinking we need him- yes.
If you are doubtful we are getting him - yes.
If you are thinking they must have misspelled his name- yes
Are you thinking something else?

Just found this March article on him and NIL:

Optimism is growing around Missouri State's ability to retain star basketball player Isiaih Mosley after he was presented with a "sizable" Name, Image and Likeness deal to keep him in a Bears uniform.

First reported on Sports Talk with Art Hains and Wyatt Wheeler, members of the Springfield community have recently stepped up in an effort to keep one of the most prolific scorers in school history in maroon and white.

Hains said a "sizable amount of money has been raised and presented to him." A meeting between Mosley and community members was held before the Bears played in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament last week.

The money wasn't presented by the university, per NCAA rules, but by boosters who have been fundraising to present the deal. Sources say the goal has been to present him with a deal between five and six figures.

Last edited:

Optimism is growing around Missouri State's ability to retain star basketball player Isiaih Mosley after he was presented with a "sizable" Name, Image and Likeness deal to keep him in a Bears uniform.

First reported on Sports Talk with Art Hains and Wyatt Wheeler, members of the Springfield community have recently stepped up in an effort to keep one of the most prolific scorers in school history in maroon and white.

Hains said a "sizable amount of money has been raised and presented to him." A meeting between Mosley and community members was held before the Bears played in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament last week.

The money wasn't presented by the university, per NCAA rules, but by boosters who have been fundraising to present the deal. Sources say the goal has been to present him with a deal between five and six figures.
Packaged deal

Boosters. 😂😂😂😂

Splash! If you didn't love NIL before, now you're in love
I was just going to post this! This is just off the charts nuts. College players looking for payment parity. This is going to be a race to the bottom.
From the same article:

• Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Miami Hurricane athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.
    "It's a unique situation just completing Nijel Pack's deal with Miami," said Papas, who also represents Miami power forward Jordan Walker and South Dakota State star Baylor Scheierman for their NIL deals. "Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer."
    Ruiz confirmed his knowledge of Wong's dissatisfaction with his NIL compensation.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

Hope the Wong thing blows up in his face and then helps get NIL more regulated or takes away the free transfer
These things rarely go backwards, though I have the same wish as you. The horses are out of the barn.

I am all for kids having some options/power, but this Wong thing is going to start happening a lot. This is AAU rearing its head, every kid thinks they are LeBron, every handler lies to these kids and promises things. Sorry kid, sometimes life isn't perfectly fair, man up and quite whining about EVERYTHING.

I am all for kids having some options/power, but this Wong thing is going to start happening a lot. This is AAU rearing its head, every kid thinks they are LeBron, every handler lies to these kids and promises things. Sorry kid, sometimes life isn't perfectly fair, man up and quite whining about EVERYTHING.

I see things a lot different than you. It doesn't matter if a kid is Lebron. If you are a very good basketball player today that has value, and it only makes sense for kids and their families to be treated accordingly. While life isn't fair, choosing where one plays college basketball - if they are good enough to have options - isn't whining or being less of a man. "You offered me a spot on the roster. At that other school I get a spot on the roster and some local business I know nothing about tosses in a few hundred thousand. Sorry, but I'm going to go there." Makes total sense to me.

Hard to listen to Isaac Schade, Tarheel insider, more than a few seconds; however, the link below spares you most of his GG Jackson rambling and skips to his thoughts on Kerwin Walton declaring for the draft and potentially transferring:

Gotta like Schade saying "who knows what could happen and maybe he transfers, but..." The last several video minutes are rambling about how Kerwin is making a smart move declaring for the draft and getting NBA feedback...

At high levels of the entertainment world, contracts are a part of life too. With the freedom also comes risk and responsibility. He signed his contract and should take what was offered. For all the freedom talk, this kind of thing happens all the time in real life. Contracts are signed, markets adjust, and negotiations restart when contracts come due. There is a price to pay for breaking a contract too. Zero sympathy for Wong. This is nuts.

Anyone have any insight on Samuels ?. This agents running unregulated is a bit nauseating.

Last edited:

Tells me we are closing in on Charlie Daniels territory possibly. Strong apparently not coming here? Strange after a few weeks he wouldn’t have committed. Samuels maybe could give us a few minutes as a backup point guard but that’s not the glaring need right now.

Anyone have any insight on Samuels ?. This agents running unregulated is a bit nauseating.

Extremely nauseating and I’ll be at a point in a few years where I don’t follow it at all.

This could have been avoided when Northwestern athletes wanted to unionize several years ago, but the NCAA's stupidity and greed, i.e. thier failure to manage that and the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit has lead us here, to an unregulated and inequitable pro sports league.

Last edited:

I was just going to post this! This is just off the charts nuts. College players looking for payment parity. This is going to be a race to the bottom.
From the same article:

• Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Miami Hurricane athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.
    "It's a unique situation just completing Nijel Pack's deal with Miami," said Papas, who also represents Miami power forward Jordan Walker and South Dakota State star Baylor Scheierman for their NIL deals. "Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer."
    Ruiz confirmed his knowledge of Wong's dissatisfaction with his NIL compensation.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

I assume Wong is making less that $400k a year and he's upset because that's what Ruiz paid Pack.

Little 6' guard. Surprises me a little. Was thinking more of a 6'4" or so combo guard. Don't know what to think on this guy. Thanks for posting the info.
Uhh his stats don't look good..

I'll let you guys look through Mike Smith's stats from Ivy league compared to Big 10

Tells me we are closing in on Charlie Daniels territory possibly. Strong apparently not coming here? Strange after a few weeks he wouldn’t have committed. Samuels maybe could give us a few minutes as a backup point guard but that’s not the glaring need right now.
Disagree this means we are in Daniels territory or that we are out of the running for other guards. We have multiple spots open and backup PG is absolutely a priority (assuming that is what we are looking at him as). I don't know anything specific about Samuels but we need guards to provide depth because right now we have Cooper, some true freshman, and probably Ramberg in our guard rotation.

Disagree this means we are in Daniels territory or that we are out of the running for other guards. We have multiple spots open and backup PG is absolutely a priority (assuming that is what we are looking at him as). I don't know anything specific about Samuels but we need guards to provide depth because right now we have Cooper, some true freshman, and probably Ramberg in our guard rotation.
This. I would assume (which of course, has no bearing on actual reality) that Samuels would be the back-up to Cooper, with shooting guard/wing still being recruited. Look at Samuels height, shooting percentage, he's not going to be looked upon as a starter and as stated here, he fills an absolute need from a depth perspective.

Uhh his stats don't look good..

I'll let you guys look through Mike Smith's stats from Ivy league compared to Big 10

I'm trying to think of a reason to be happy about this. The only things I can come up with is that he doesn't turn the ball over much and is a good free throw shooter. Ben seems to have a soft spot for those guys from elite schools. As others have said, though, he might be just fine as a backup point guard.

Top Bottom