2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Maybe we just need to grab 2 players to compliment what we have and just move on from this guy . I was all about him if he decided to jump that Carolina ship but our ship should be moving on... We can't let this slow play by Kerwin, hinder any chances on filling out our roster with guys who
A. Want to be here
B. Are capable B1G players
C. Fit the scheme/culture Ben is instilling...

We have holes to fill on the roster... Go fill em

Maybe we just need to grab 2 players to compliment what we have and just move on from this guy . I was all about him if he decided to jump that Carolina ship but our ship should be moving on... We can't let this slow play by Kerwin, hinder any chances on filling out our roster with guys who
A. Want to be here
B. Are capable B1G players
C. Fit the scheme/culture Ben is instilling...

We have holes to fill on the roster... Go fill em
You do get that we have zero clue what the coaching staff thinks of Walton or if they are even waiting on him in any way shape or form right?

I get that there is a ton of interest/speculation about Walton on the board, and I would expect that to remain until he definitely says he is staying at UNC. None of what is said here matters, the coaches are going to do what they want with the roster spots and I am sure they are actively working to fill out the roster.

If the fans want to speculate, pine for, discuss Walton there is no harm in that.

If the fans want to speculate, pine for, discuss Walton there is no harm in that.

There's also no harm in pointing out that such a devotion of time, emotion, and mental energy to Walton exhibits an almost fanatical narrow mindedness.

There's also no harm in pointing out that such a devotion of time, emotion, and mental energy to Walton exhibits an almost fanatical narrow mindedness.
I suppose, but it is a message board and some people are clearly very interested in Walton as a prospect. Guess I have a hard time seeing what the issue is if people want to post about him or speculate on what he might decide to do.

Not sure i have seen anyone posting about Walton in a way that makes think they should seek help for the amount of energy the are expending on him.... :)

Here is something odd to me: Illinois State was 5-13 in the MVC..... yet they have a guy worthy of Kentucky and supposedly another guy worthy of Big Ten? hmmm
Don't know anything about their team but would guess it means the rest of the roster is lacking in the talent department. Battle and Willis were really good for us last year but we still struggled.

Here is something odd to me: Illinois State was 5-13 in the MVC..... yet they have a guy worthy of Kentucky and supposedly another guy worthy of Big Ten? hmmm
Don't forget about Taison's brother either

There is also no harm in pointing out that such devotion of time, emotion and mental energy to a coach/team/mascot/stadium/player/sport exhibits an almost fanatical narrow mindedness.

I mean think about how much bandwidth was wasted on speculating on coaches last year...or how much was wasted on bashing or defending the choice they made. Isn't that what we do here?

You do get that we have zero clue what the coaching staff thinks of Walton or if they are even waiting on him in any way shape or form right?

I get that there is a ton of interest/speculation about Walton on the board, and I would expect that to remain until he definitely says he is staying at UNC. None of what is said here matters, the coaches are going to do what they want with the roster spots and I am sure they are actively working to fill out the roster.

0 clue... Ben has said Kerwin would not be a priority... So even if he hits the portal from what has been leaked is he probably wouldn't fit what Ben's doing/trying to do here... So to say we no clue is obtuse.

And where did I say fans can't or shouldn't speculate... I never said anything remotely close to that....

I mean think about how much bandwidth was wasted on speculating on coaches last year..
"Coaches" is a plural word. Plus a potential coach is more important than any single potential recruit.

That's different than spending so much time speculating about one player when there is a transfer portal full of players. There is also another potential pathology that may be at work here: some people may be most invested in the players who spurned us in the past and care more about proving we can get them rather than any particular attributes of the player. Sort of like pining most for the girls who shot you down in the past.

"Coaches" is a plural word. Plus a potential coach is more important than any single potential recruit.

That's different than spending so much time speculating about one player when there is a transfer portal full of players. There is also another potential pathology that may be at work here: some people may be most invested in the players who spurned us in the past and care more about proving we can get them rather than any particular attributes of the player. Sort of like pining most for the girls who shot you down in the past.
The speculation on Kerwin is because we were his second choice out of HS. He performed very well at UNC in his first year and appears to fill some needs.

Were fans wrong to discuss Garcia last year before he transferred to UNC and this year too? Maybe we should have focused our energy on the rest of the transfer portal full of players instead?

We know very little about any of the other hundreds of players in the portal. Why talk about John Smith at Directional State University if we don't know the player or whether they have any interest in matriculating to MN?

We KNOW guys like Garcia and Walton because we have followed them for years.... that is why there is talk about them.

Were fans wrong to discuss Garcia last year before he transferred to UNC and this year too? Maybe we should have focused our energy on the rest of the transfer portal full of players instead?

We KNOW guys like Garcia and Walton because we have followed them for years.... that is why there is talk about them.

As to that top question: No! Garcia had left UNC in midseason and returned to Minnesota. He would have an easier time transferring here than anywhere else. Additionally, Garcia was a significant talent who played in the front court where the supply of good players is far smaller.

As to your second point, I don't have much sympathy for that. I realize that the majority of people are only interested in things they already know. I consider that a mental deficiency. Nothing irritates me more than when a good band playing at a small-town festival plays a really good but more obscure song very well and they get little response to it. But, if they break into the millionth lame ass cover of Sweet Caroline, Sweet Home Alabama, or I Walk the Line; the whole place perks up.

I prefer the Mae West philosophy --- When given a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before.

Well was a fun thought, Scheiermann already has a top 10 and we are not even in the ballpark. Duke/UK/KU/Texas among others.

Well was a fun thought, Scheiermann already has a top 10 and we are not even in the ballpark. Duke/UK/KU/Texas among others.
The question for some of these guys is this: Are they better off starring for the highest level of team that they can be a star on or are they better off going to a big name team that has a chance to win it all? I think that Marcus Carr, for example, was closer to looking like he had a shot at the NBA when he was leading the Gophers than when he was just another guy on the Texas team. It's a lot of fun to win though!

We have to get good enough that a really good player thinks- "If they have me, they will win big"

As to your second point, I don't have much sympathy for that. I realize that the majority of people are only interested in things they already know. I consider that a mental deficiency. Nothing irritates me more than when a good band playing at a small-town festival plays a really good but more obscure song very well and they get little response to it. But, if they break into the millionth lame ass cover of Sweet Caroline, Sweet Home Alabama, or I Walk the Line; the whole place perks up.

I prefer the Mae West philosophy --- When given a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before.
Reread your post to see why the 'majority' on the GopherHole think of you as smug and condescending.

As for your belief that focusing on what we already know is somehow small minded in the recruiting game, let me play this out a bit...

"Former 4 star De'Vion Harmon entered the portal yesterday from Oregon after playing his first two years at Oklahoma. He's a 6 foot point guard with a reputation for being a good distributor. I think that he would be a great fit for the Gophers!"

You know what I as a reader would think if I saw someone post this? Who the heck is De'Vion Harmon?! It seems fruitless to just start pulling seemingly random names out of literally hundreds still in the portal and begin assessing the chances of them coming to the Gophers.

Should we start an All Things De'Vion Harmon thread? No... there is no indication that he has an interest in MN nor that MN is interested in him. There is no information connecting him to the Gophers so why waste my time as a fan getting involved?

The coaching staff, however, is certainly combing the portal and researching potential targets on a daily basis. They have the resources and coaching connections to kick the tires on nearly any candidate that can truly play at this level. Until we fans know that some random player has scheduled a visit, we shouldn't get too involved.

Former Minnesota prep players are an exception. One can more easily make that leap because of the preexisting connection they have with the state. Why the Gophers? Because they are from here. Nearly all of the negatives that are presented as barriers to success here (it's too cold, it's too far away from other population centers, etc.) can be easily explained away by Minnesota players because they already know all of the positives about the area.

Had Garcia NOT been from MN, we would not have talked about the Gophers being a possible landing spot. Harmon has no known connection to MN so why should I talk about him?

Of note, I have personally NOT been talking about Walton as I have yet to see his name in the portal. I have not added him to the transfer grid for that reason.

As for Mae West, that's a fine attitude for a fling but I want to be sure the person that I am marrying has all of the goods.

Tony was unfortunately not plugged in. McIntosh, Strong and Jones will not be Gophers. Sounds like as soon as the decision to go with Cooper was finalized, Strong and McIntosh didn't want to play 2nd fiddle.

Tony was unfortunately not plugged in. McIntosh, Strong and Jones will not be Gophers. Sounds like as soon as the decision to go with Cooper was finalized, Strong and McIntosh didn't want to play 2nd fiddle.
Not to be a prick...but I don't think Tony has been plugged in on anything.

Respect for him working hard and trying to get his writing career off the ground as such a young kid, but let's not confuse his tweets throwing portal names against the wall as sourced reporting.

What do you know about Strong and Jones? I have not seen any updates on them.

Of those who visited, McIntosh, Stewart, and Thompson are off the board.

I haven't found any other visits for Strong other than MN.

Jones has not visited.

The question for some of these guys is this: Are they better off starring for the highest level of team that they can be a star on or are they better off going to a big name team that has a chance to win it all? I think that Marcus Carr, for example, was closer to looking like he had a shot at the NBA when he was leading the Gophers than when he was just another guy on the Texas team. It's a lot of fun to win though!

We have to get good enough that a really good player thinks- "If they have me, they will win big"
5 years ago I would have agreed with you, with the NIL power these schools have I think they make so much money its well worth it to not be "the man". I can almost assure you Carr isn't going back to Texas because he is having the best time of his life there, he knows he will likely make more $$ at Texas from NIL than he would in the G league or overseas. Same as Tshibewe. Kansas is on a tour where people pay to take pictures and get autographs from kids. If you are Scheiermann and its "be the man" at say Pitt or Oregon St and make $50k or be a rotation guy at Duke/Uk/KU and make $250k, i think thats pretty easy for most kids. Heck he might get more then $250k, Nijel Pack got $400k a year and has the same "agent". Money talks.

Reread your post to see why the 'majority' on the GopherHole think of you as smug and condescending.

As for your belief that focusing on what we already know is somehow small minded in the recruiting game, let me play this out a bit...

"Former 4 star De'Vion Harmon entered the portal yesterday from Oregon after playing his first two years at Oklahoma. He's a 6 foot point guard with a reputation for being a good distributor. I think that he would be a great fit for the Gophers!"

You know what I as a reader would think if I saw someone post this? Who the heck is De'Vion Harmon?! It seems fruitless to just start pulling seemingly random names out of literally hundreds still in the portal and begin assessing the chances of them coming to the Gophers.

Should we start an All Things De'Vion Harmon thread? No... there is no indication that he has an interest in MN nor that MN is interested in him. There is no information connecting him to the Gophers so why waste my time as a fan getting involved?

The coaching staff, however, is certainly combing the portal and researching potential targets on a daily basis. They have the resources and coaching connections to kick the tires on nearly any candidate that can truly play at this level. Until we fans know that some random player has scheduled a visit, we shouldn't get too involved.

Former Minnesota prep players are an exception. One can more easily make that leap because of the preexisting connection they have with the state. Why the Gophers? Because they are from here. Nearly all of the negatives that are presented as barriers to success here (it's too cold, it's too far away from other population centers, etc.) can be easily explained away by Minnesota players because they already know all of the positives about the area.

Had Garcia NOT been from MN, we would not have talked about the Gophers being a possible landing spot. Harmon has no known connection to MN so why should I talk about him?

Of note, I have personally NOT been talking about Walton as I have yet to see his name in the portal. I have not added him to the transfer grid for that reason.

As for Mae West, that's a fine attitude for a fling but I want to be sure the person that I am marrying has all of the goods.

Jesus, all of that for a few glib lines? You act like you owe me an explanation for who you are. You don't just like I don't owe you an explanation for who I am.

As far as what the majority of Gopher Hole thinks of me, I couldn't care less. Anyone who refrains from professing his true thoughts on a message board for fear of not fitting in or going contrary to the consensus is pathetic.

Someone had mentioned that Marcus Fuller talked about just 1 open scholarship left for a transfer, with the other possibly being saved for next year or going to Ramberg. I'm OK with that. Ben seems like he's put a lot of leg work in with 2023 recruiting and it feels like we are in a good spot with a couple of those guys.

I'm thinking we're down to either Walton, Jones or a 1 year guy for that last spot. Or possibly another 1-year guy if Ben does end up filling that 4th spot which makes more sense to me.

I don't really know, just thinking out loud here.

Thiam just hit the portal.. we have atleast 2 spots open

Someone had mentioned that Marcus Fuller talked about just 1 open scholarship left for a transfer, with the other possibly being saved for next year or going to Ramberg. I'm OK with that. Ben seems like he's put a lot of leg work in with 2023 recruiting and it feels like we are in a good spot with a couple of those guys.

I'm thinking we're down to either Walton, Jones or a 1 year guy for that last spot. Or possibly another 1-year guy if Ben does end up filling that 4th spot which makes more sense to me.

Jesus, all of that for a few glib lines? You act like you owe me an explanation for who you are. You don't just like I don't owe you an explanation for who I am.

As far as what the majority of Gopher Hole thinks of me, I couldn't care less. Anyone who refrains from professing his true thoughts on a message board for fear of not fitting in or going contrary to the consensus is pathetic.
Glib lines? I am making a point... maybe not as concisely as you... but making a point nonetheless. We will follow those who have connections to MN because they are from here or have been reported to have shown some reciprocal interest.

As for your attitude... do you think it good manners to basically say that the 'majority' of people have a 'mental deficiency.' Show a little tact even if you are the greatest thing since sliced bread... it's not about 'fitting in.' I am professing my true thoughts... take it or leave it. Pathetic indeed.

Definitely need another guard unless Ben thinks he can get substantial minutes from Carrington or Henley.

Holy moly. The last 4 pages of this thread are mostly grosssssssss bickering. 🤯

Cheers to our next transfer coming in. Hopefully he doesn't read gopherhole and get turned off by the petulant children.

Forecastingawin out ✌
My apologies... I can't refrain from pointing out a bully when I see them.

Thiam just hit the portal.. we have atleast 2 spots open
Definitely need another guard unless Ben thinks he can get substantial minutes from Carrington or Henley.
100% agree on need another guard. The easiest position to sell right now has to be that 5th starter. Hopefully Jones or Walton (Won’t totally tule him out).

To get a back up PG is going to be tough. All these quality portal guys want big minutes. CG makes more sense to spell Cooper when he’s outta the game, and then be able to run the wing as well.

Time will tell I guess.

Both are true. We need an experienced starting combo guard from the portal and Ben thinks he can (will) get substantial backup production from Carrington and Henley.

Top Bottom