2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I'm not all that excited about Quinn Carrol. At least not for this season. It's also likely that he will be a backup this season. The other guys you mentioned also played a lot more and accomplished a lot more at those schools prior to leaving. They lost time due to those schools continuing to recruit high end 4* and 5* players. These players are also brought in to compete to be rotation and depth players.

Walton has accomplished less didn't lose time to new recruits. He lost time to the same players who were on the team last year.

I've said several times now that I'm ok bringing in Walton as long as he's completing with players like Carrington and Henley for backup/rotation minutes. I think the people who think Walton is going to come in and start and expect a better Gopher team because of it, are vastly overrating him.
He exceeded expectations as a freshman and was surpassed by 3 players who will most likely get nba minutes someday. It's now or never that he gets back on path to fulfill his goal of playing in the nba. He's not going to come here with his tail between legs

I'm not all that excited about Quinn Carrol. At least not for this season. It's also likely that he will be a backup this season. The other guys you mentioned also played a lot more and accomplished a lot more at those schools prior to leaving. They lost time due to those schools continuing to recruit high end 4* and 5* players. These players are also brought in to compete to be rotation and depth players.

Walton has accomplished less didn't lose time to new recruits. He lost time to the same players who were on the team last year.

I've said several times now that I'm ok bringing in Walton as long as he's completing with players like Carrington and Henley for backup/rotation minutes. I think the people who think Walton is going to come in and start and expect a better Gopher team because of it, are vastly overrating him.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. He's a good player and would start for most P6 teams, or at least play a ton of minutes. It just didn't work at NC this year for him. There have been other players who have left P6 programs and been highly successful elsewhere. Sometimes things just don't work out. I think Carrington is good as well. I know nothing about Henley as I have never seen him play.

Walton isn't as good at Garcia, but to just say "well he didnt get minutes this year he must not be good" is also just lazy. They changed coaches, its UNC, this isnt like its Ball St and he couldnt find minutes and he had some nice moments. In that last Duke game of the regular season Hubert Davis found a formula that worked, and that was playing his top 6-7 guys the entire game. They destroyed Duke and were rolling in the tournament, why would he change that?? Some here seem to act like Kerwin is a no talent kid who played for a 4-26 MAAC team. I have said i dont think he comes in and puts up 20 a game and is a all american, but hes good. Put him in a more comfortable environment where he isnt worried about losing time as much and he will be much improved statistically. To me he is equally if not more physically talented than Carrington, and add to that he has played 2 years in the ACC, after all the people on here saying to be patient with the likes of TT/Thiam those 2 years of playing/lifting/etc can only help.

I don't think it's a certainty, I just call things how I see them. If he comes back and plays great and we win games, I'll eat crow and still be happy.

I just think the constant Minnesota homerism in always wanting to bring back players (or coaches) who have accomplished nothing to a program that never wins is weird. I want competitors and winners.
Good analysis.

And I'm focused on what he did this season because that's what matters the most. UNC was a pretty average team until they got hot at the end of the season, without playing Walton.

The only real difference between last years UNC team and this one was Manek, who did not affect Walton's playing time. He was competing against the same guards for PT this season as last. Those guards got better, Walton regressed. What happened last year doesn't matter anymore. UNC became a better team this season because players not named Walton became better players.

Once again if Walton wasn't from Minnesota originally, very few on here would be excited about taking a player who averaged 3 points and didn't play any meaningful minutes when the games mattered the most.
I care about recruiting MN players because their desire to be home is an asset for us. It gives us a leg up for good recruits we would not otherwise have a chance to get. It simply requires fewer resources to get better players if they are from MN. We are not a hot landing spot right now and we need every edge we can get. The only player I've seen set up a visit with us this spring is Hunter McIntosh, a 38% shooter from a bad low major.

In addition to coveted guys who have stayed home recently (Oturu/Coffey) we have been able to get transfers with local ties who have turned into stars or strong contributors here: Trevor Mbakwe (who incidentally had a terrible freshman year at Marquette, averaging 1.5 PPG on 27% shooting), Jamison Battle, Payton Willis (arguably), Reggie Lynch, Joey King, or going back further Dan Coleman, or decommits like Lawrence Westbrook or Kris Humphries, or even Ben Johnson himself.

I'm not arguing that Walton did not regress and have a down year. He did. But I disagree that what happened his freshman year "doesn't matter". It demonstrates the potential he has. We simply aren't at a point in our program where we can turn up our noses at that. Maybe he would continue to regress like Gabe, or maybe he would flourish like an Mbakwe. When we are handing out scholarships to walk-ons, JUCO leftovers, and Stephen F. Austin backups last year...woof, we have room for a Kerwin Walton reclamation project.

Any word on whether we are still recruiting Josiah Strong? He looks like a physical kid who can create his own shot. I like what I've seen so far.

I don't think it's a certainty, I just call things how I see them. If he comes back and plays great and we win games, I'll eat crow and still be happy.

I just think the constant Minnesota homerism in always wanting to bring back players (or coaches) who have accomplished nothing to a program that never wins is weird. I want competitors and winners.
Walton was good enough to be recruited by Roy Williams and to play a year for him. New coach preferred other guys. Walton certainly is good enough to play a lot for this Gopher team.

However, I agree with your point that without the local high school background no one hear would be wondering if he might transfer to Minnesota.

Walton was good enough to be recruited by Roy Williams and to play a year for him. New coach preferred other guys. Walton certainly is good enough to play a lot for this Gopher team.

However, I agree with your point that without the local high school background no one hear would be wondering if he might transfer to Minnesota.
Are you freaking kidding me? If Joe Boxer from Tuscaloosa Alabama was interested in transferring here and he was a kid who started at UNC as a FRESHMAN and than lost timie as a sophomore, you don't think we'd be interested? We took a BACKUP from Stephen F. Austin last season. We've shown interest in guys from Elon, Wofford, etc etc...........This kind of take just boggles my mind.

Are you freaking kidding me? If Joe Boxer from Tuscaloosa Alabama was interested in transferring here and he was a kid who started at UNC as a FRESHMAN and than lost timie as a sophomore, you don't think we'd be interested? We took a BACKUP from Stephen F. Austin last season. We've shown interest in guys from Elon, Wofford, etc etc...........This kind of take just boggles my mind.
I think he's saying he probably wouldn't be on our radar as fans. However, yes, I agree with you that he would be a take everyone would be excited about.

I think all but one poster would be excited about getting Walton. Worst case he will be a solid contributer, and he has potential to be a lot more. So many players improve a ton their junior and senior years. He was playing behind two high-end perimeter players, Love and Leaky Black. Love was playing like a first round draft choice the last half of the year - Davis rarely took him off the floor. Black may see time in the NBA because he is an amazing defensive player. It's not like Walton was playing behind average players.

There were a number of real talented players not seeing time at UNC this year. I'd love to have Styles or Johnson, for example.

To your last part, they wouldn't be wondering that because they wouldn't think we would have a shot at getting a former starter at UNC to come here without a local connection.

I care about recruiting MN players because their desire to be home is an asset for us. It gives us a leg up for good recruits we would not otherwise have a chance to get. It simply requires fewer resources to get better players if they are from MN. We are not a hot landing spot right now and we need every edge we can get. The only player I've seen set up a visit with us this spring is Hunter McIntosh, a 38% shooter from a bad low major.

In addition to coveted guys who have stayed home recently (Oturu/Coffey) we have been able to get transfers with local ties who have turned into stars or strong contributors here: Trevor Mbakwe (who incidentally had a terrible freshman year at Marquette, averaging 1.5 PPG on 27% shooting), Jamison Battle, Payton Willis (arguably), Reggie Lynch, Joey King, or going back further Dan Coleman, or decommits like Lawrence Westbrook or Kris Humphries, or even Ben Johnson himself.

I'm not arguing that Walton did not regress and have a down year. He did. But I disagree that what happened his freshman year "doesn't matter". It demonstrates the potential he has. We simply aren't at a point in our program where we can turn up our noses at that. Maybe he would continue to regress like Gabe, or maybe he would flourish like an Mbakwe. When we are handing out scholarships to walk-ons, JUCO leftovers, and Stephen F. Austin backups last year...woof, we have room for a Kerwin Walton reclamation project.

This is really just summarizing and supporting most of the points and concerns I have brought up in this thread. Without any inside knowledge, recruiting has seemed lackluster so far, and that is what Ben was hired to do.

What do all of the players who stayed home or transferred back have in common? They were all a part of mediocre, to in some cases very bad teams. That's the culture that needs to change. We need to recruit players who can take this team to another level. Not just take players who were once highly rated but failed elsewhere because they are from here and that's the best we can do. That's how you continue to have a losing program.

This is really just summarizing and supporting most of the points and concerns I have brought up in this thread. Without any inside knowledge, recruiting has seemed lackluster so far, and that is what Ben was hired to do.

What do all of the players who stayed home or transferred back have in common? They were all a part of mediocre, to in some cases very bad teams. That's the culture that needs to change. We need to recruit players who can take this team to another level. Not just take players who were once highly rated but failed elsewhere because they are from here and that's the best we can do. That's how you continue to have a losing program.
Like taking football players from Abilene Christian?

So you say that but then you also are less than enthusiastic about the prospects of Walton. So are the only transfers you want to see guys who starred on really good teams?

Like taking football players from Abilene Christian?

If Walton went down and dominated a lower level, I would have no issues taking him after that. How many of those Abilene Christian players came here because they were originally from MN? Or did Fleck just go down and recruit a good football player regardless of any connections here?

So you say that but then you also are less than enthusiastic about the prospects of Walton. So are the only transfers you want to see guys who starred on really good teams?

Not necessarily. I would like to see them recruit good players out of high school that get better every year, made significant contributions to their current team, or dominated at a lower level.

Who have we taken who failed elsewhere? Garcia didn't fail at Marquette or North Carolina. If we take Kerwin Walton, most don't define him as a failure as you do. Who else? Fox? Lowe? Stephens? Willis? Only Fox is from here and he wasn't a failure elsewhere. The other three were not failures where they were.

Who have we taken who failed elsewhere? Garcia didn't fail at Marquette or North Carolina. If we take Kerwin Walton, most don't define him as a failure as you do. Who else? Fox? Lowe? Stephens? Willis? Only Fox is from here and he wasn't a failure elsewhere. The other three were not failures where they were.
Yeah I really don't get where GWG is coming from on this one. Obviously we all want to see the can't miss type transfers coming here but those guys aren't just going to jump at the chance to come here right now over other opportunities at more high profile schools.

Don’t agree with this take. The high school kids coming in are all part of winning programs. The transfer players we are discussing are part of winning programs as well. I don’t understand the excitement over Walton but to say he isn’t from a winning squad is false. He was on winning teams in high school and at the collegiate level

That was in response to the past Minnesota players who transferred back, Adam Boone, Lawrence McKenzie, Trevor Mbakwe, and even Ben Johnson himself.

These players put up some good numbers when they came back, but the teams were mediocre to bad. Even for how good Mbakwe was, his teams finished below .500 in conference when he was here.

Johnson's recruiting so far actually reminds me quite a bit of Dan Monson's. His teams were generally filled with MN players, even highly rated ones like Humphries and Rickert, and he took some of the transfers I mentioned from bigger schools back, yet they were almost always bad.

Don’t agree with this take. The high school kids coming in are all part of winning programs. The transfer players we are discussing are part of winning programs as well. I don’t understand the excitement over Walton but to say he isn’t from a winning squad is false. He was on winning teams in high school and at the collegiate level

Most B1G players are going to be from winning high school programs. I never said Walton wasn't from a winning squad, I said their winning wasn't because of his play, which it wasn't.

That was in response to the past Minnesota players who transferred back, Adam Boone, Lawrence McKenzie, Trevor Mbakwe, and even Ben Johnson himself.

These players put up some good numbers when they came back, but the teams were mediocre to bad. Even for how good Mbakwe was, his teams finished below .500 in conference when he was here.

Johnson's recruiting so far actually reminds me quite a bit of Dan Monson's. His teams were generally filled with MN players, even highly rated ones like Humphries and Rickert, and he took some of the transfers I mentioned from bigger schools back, yet they were almost always bad.
Do you even have a point about anything? Or are you still mad Ben Johnson was hired. Your transfer arguments make less than 0 sense. Stop filling this thread with nonsense takes about a guy who isn't even in the transfer portal.

Walton was a 4 star who lost his rotation spot to other 4 stars, that's bad. But Carroll who didn't see the field for 3 years is good because he never played behind other 4 stars including freshman 4 star recruits.

You're talking in circles and are making no sense to anyone.

Most B1G players are going to be from winning high school programs. I never said Walton wasn't from a winning squad, I said their winning wasn't because of his play, which it wasn't.
What transfer will we get that fits that description

Do you even have a point about anything? Or are you still mad Ben Johnson was hired. Your transfer arguments make less than 0 sense. Stop filling this thread with nonsense takes about a guy who isn't even in the transfer portal.

Walton was a 4 star who lost his rotation spot to other 4 stars, that's bad. But Carroll who didn't see the field for 3 years is good because he never played behind other 4 stars including freshman 4 star recruits.

You're talking in circles and are making no sense to anyone.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote so no wonder it doesn't make sense to you. Nothing new there.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote so no wonder it doesn't make sense to you. Nothing new there.
You're literally spewing off non sense about Walton that doesn't make any sense to anyone besides BarnBurner of course.

Can you do a record breakdown of the transfers Musselman has taken over the years to find out if records matter for transfers coming to teams? Do you have some proof to your assertions?

Right, everything you do not agree with immediately translates to a great fiddler. Makes sense. Can we get the boxer too?

If Walton went down and dominated a lower level, I would have no issues taking him after that. How many of those Abilene Christian players came here because they were originally from MN? Or did Fleck just go down and recruit a good football player regardless of any connections here?
Do you think it's relevant that Walton was a 4 star less than years ago and rotation player on a blue blood for 1.5 years? Do you think Johnson is recruiting bad players solely for the fact because they are from Minnesota?

In the comments on the Garcia transfer portal article, Ryan James doesn't think Kerwin would be a big target for Ben. Especially if we can land Michael Jones or Cam Spencer
Wonder if Loyola Chicago would have the inside track on Spencer? From the same Jesuit type of school in Maryland. From a Catholic high school. Paging @Holy Man

In the comments on the Garcia transfer portal article, Ryan James doesn't think Kerwin would be a big target for Ben. Especially if we can land Michael Jones or Cam Spencer
This was more the point I was making before. Walton is strictly a spot shooter who struggles defensively. I would take him as a player but I don’t get the excitement like he is a game changer

Top Bottom