2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I wasn't one of them

I was hoping Ben could've kept Gabe, his defense and other value outweigh his shooting woes
Yeah, would have been nice if he had stuck around but I can understand why he wanted to leave and try and start fresh somewhere else.

Yeah, would have been nice if he had stuck around but I can understand why he wanted to leave and try and start fresh somewhere else.
Woulda been nice to have him but definitely made the right call. Sweet 16 experience

Jamison shot more than just 3s and the level of difficulty of some of his shots is a lot higher than Walton who is mostly shooting spot 3s. I'm not saying we couldn't use him but in my opinion, he is basically Gabe without the defense.
Interesting, had no idea he wasn't considered a good defender. Is he bad? on a scale of 1-5, what kind of defender is he?

Few things. Kevin Samuel FGCU just entered the portal, whew talk about a fit here. 12p 10r 2.4b per game, thats a guy that would be a dream! Assume its another .1% shot but worth mentioning.

The question "Is Kerwin better than Gopher wing X" On pure talent, its not even close between any of the Gabe/EJ group. Now pure talent doesnt always mean a better player (see Jelly Fam) but he has way more upside than that group. If Ben could push a player like Willis to that level last year i would like to see what he could do with Walton. And those who think he is a worse shooter than Gabe, I mean i dont know what to tell you, Gabe is one of the worst wing shooters in the country. He shot 24% over the last two years from 3. For comparison sakes, Jordan Murphy shot 23% for his career from 3 and we all groaned every time he took one!

Few things. Kevin Samuel FGCU just entered the portal, whew talk about a fit here. 12p 10r 2.4b per game, thats a guy that would be a dream! Assume its another .1% shot but worth mentioning.

The question "Is Kerwin better than Gopher wing X" On pure talent, its not even close between any of the Gabe/EJ group. Now pure talent doesnt always mean a better player (see Jelly Fam) but he has way more upside than that group. If Ben could push a player like Willis to that level last year i would like to see what he could do with Walton. And those who think he is a worse shooter than Gabe, I mean i dont know what to tell you, Gabe is one of the worst wing shooters in the country. He shot 24% over the last two years from 3. For comparison sakes, Jordan Murphy shot 23% for his career from 3 and we all groaned every time he took one!
Who said he is a worse shooter than Gabe? Also how is Gabe in the same talent group as EJ? He just played a significant role on a sweet 16 team. Who would have predicted Gabe would go on a slump like he went on. People were comparing him to Blake after his freshmen year. All I said is they are similar players and he is worse at defense. I just don’t get the excitement like he is the missing piece.

Who said he is a worse shooter than Gabe? Also how is Gabe in the same talent group as EJ? He just played a significant role on a sweet 16 team. Who would have predicted Gabe would go on a slump like he went on. People were comparing him to Blake after his freshmen year. All I said is they are similar players and he is worse at defense. I just don’t get the excitement like he is the missing piece.
Player A 2021-2022:
10.2p 3.1r 1.6a 0.9s 1.2TO 42/39/82 %'s TS% 54% 1 OWS 0.7 DWS

Player B 2021-2022:
9.6p 2.4r 1.7a 1.2s 2.7TO 36/24/66 %'s TS 44.6% -1.0 OWS 1.9DWS

Gabe seems like a great kid, team player etc. He just isnt a great Division 1 basketball player. Thats fine, not many are, but to say him and EJ aren't in the same ball park? ISU would have been better with EJ, thats almost a lock. They had an amazing defense, some of that is Gabe sure, but some is system and others around him. And to say gabe slumped, that just isnt the case, he isnt a good shooter, period. 1 really good year, 1 ok year 2 absolutely awful years should tell you that. I have had my issues with Ben but if you are just looking at it from a 1 v 1 trade, EJ was better than Gabe was.

Player A 2021-2022:
10.2p 3.1r 1.6a 0.9s 1.2TO 42/39/82 %'s TS% 54% 1 OWS 0.7 DWS

Player B 2021-2022:
9.6p 2.4r 1.7a 1.2s 2.7TO 36/24/66 %'s TS 44.6% -1.0 OWS 1.9DWS

Gabe seems like a great kid, team player etc. He just isnt a great Division 1 basketball player. Thats fine, not many are, but to say him and EJ aren't in the same ball park? ISU would have been better with EJ, thats almost a lock. They had an amazing defense, some of that is Gabe sure, but some is system and others around him. And to say gabe slumped, that just isnt the case, he isnt a good shooter, period. 1 really good year, 1 ok year 2 absolutely awful years should tell you that. I have had my issues with Ben but if you are just looking at it from a 1 v 1 trade, EJ was better than Gabe was.
On offense EJ is better, but Gabe is one of the best lock down perimeter defenders in the nation and that's why he continues to get 30+ minutes a night, despite the poor shooting percentages. EJ an okay defender, but he's not nearly in the same stratosphere on that end then Gabe. Definitely would not make that trade if I was Iowa State.

Mason Madsen to BC. They are taking our pipeline, they have 2 MN kids now! :)

Yes, but he just transferred last summer without sitting out. Under the rules (if they enforce them) he would have to apply for a waiver to play here this season and I don't know that the basis would be for that appeal.

Many people here couldn't wait to get rid of Gabe, but he's a significantly better player than Walton. Once again, if Walton wasn't from here, very few would be excited about the possibilities of him transferring here.
Yeah....we've been turning down guys left and right who got considerable run at UNC as a freshman. LOL

Some targets starting to fall-Princeton’s Jaelin Llewelyn is now with Clemson, while Northern Iowa’s Noah Carter is joining Missouri. Meanwhile, Ohio State’s Meechie Johnson, a formerly Top 100 point guard, joined the portal.

Last edited:

Some targets starting to fall-Princeton’s Jaelin Llewelyn is now with Clemson, while Northern Iowa’s Noah Carter is joining Missouri. Meanwhile, Ohio Sky’s Meechie Johnson, a formerly Top 100 point guard, joined the portal.
Jim Anchower, is that you? I know it's been a long time since you rapped at us.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jim Anchower, is that you? I know it's been a long time since you rapped at us.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
Like I always say, Jim Anchower will land on his feet. Now if only Ron would pay me back the $10 I lent him.

Yeah....we've been turning down guys left and right who got considerable run at UNC as a freshman. LOL

Who regressed significantly over the last year and was passed by guys he was equal to or well ahead of last year. Who also played only 1 minute of garbage time in the entire NCAA tournament for an 8 seed, who improved significantly after he was benched.

I'm totally sure he can come in and make us a tournament team though. LOL

Who regressed significantly over the last year and was passed by guys he was equal to or well ahead of last year. Who also played only 1 minute of garbage time in the entire NCAA tournament for an 8 seed, who improved significantly after he was benched.

This is still a high potential kid. Give me a line up of Payne, Garcia, Battle, Walton and a real solid PG with Ihnen, Carrington, Henley and Fox off the bench and that is a competitive club. But Ben needs to get his butt in gear and nail down a couple GOOD signings in the next few days to get momentum. If we get Walton and Garcia, our chances of getting a better PG increase.

Walton being benched wasn’t the biggest factor in UNCs turn around. It didn’t hurt obviously, but Garcia leaving was the biggest factor. It allowed UNC to figure out how to play Manek and Bacot together. Anyways, Walton would need to improve and play more like his freshman year. As a 4th or 5th starter we could still be fine.

Walton being benched wasn’t the biggest factor in UNCs turn around. It didn’t hurt obviously, but Garcia leaving was the biggest factor. It allowed UNC to figure out how to play Manek and Bacot together. Anyways, Walton would need to improve and play more like his freshman year. As a 4th or 5th starter we could still be fine.

So UNC became nearly a championship team when the other transfer everyone is excited to land left? That’s not a ringing endorsement.

And I’m still high on Garcia and he’s an easy take because of what he’s shown on the court. If Walton starts next year, we’re heading towards weakling Wednesday once again.

So UNC became nearly a championship team when the other transfer everyone is excited to land left? That’s not a ringing endorsement.

And I’m still high on Garcia and he’s an easy take because of what he’s shown on the court. If Walton starts next year, we’re heading towards weakling Wednesday once again.
It wasn’t about Garcia being bad. It was about roster construction. Garcia and Manek couldn’t play together nor would you take Bacot out. Manek fit significantly better with Bacot. Hubert changed the offense and defense this year as well. Walton fit better with what Roy did. Those things matter too.

This is ridiculous. You’re talking about a kid who started for UNC last year, and on a team that played in the national championship. He is not coming from a weakling wednesday program. Yes, they were an 8 seed because of how they started the year with a new coach, but they were a legitimate final four team. There are players not seeing time on really good teams who are really good players. Davis shortened his bench, just as many other coaches have done. That doesn’t make Walton a bad player. There are good players not seeing time at Villanova, for example, because Wright only plays 7 players typically.

You’re a big PJ guy. He has taken guys that weren’t seeing time at other programs and they did well for him last year. If Walton ends up in the portal almost any P6 team would take him.

Top Bottom