2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I watched Morehead State play a decent amount and Broome is a very good player. I hope Johnson reaches out to him, I would love to see him as a Gopher.
Broome might be the top player in the portal. Great fit and nice thought but he isn't coming here.

Broome might be the top player in the portal. Great fit and nice thought but he isn't coming here.
So...I asked myself why?? I said Moorhead is just up the road a piece... wagging finger emoji
wrong school dummy.
But, I said maybe we'll have the best NIL package for him? repeat conclusion above

Hey Ray! Thanks for all the legwork posting these portal possibilities for the Gophers.
So far, the Iowa State coach seems like he's going to be a on trajectory to leave Ames for a blue blood position in a year or two.
This post made me LOL.

A player wants to transfer to better their opportunities to win. Does Minnesota even give a top transfer in the portal hope for this?

A player wants to transfer to better their opportunities to win. Does Minnesota even give a top transfer in the portal hope for this?
A player transfers for a combination of dozens of different reasons, including fit, position, coaching, personal situation and yes, winning. But to say players only transfer because they want to up their opportunity to win is either naive, cynical or both. To answer the question though? Sure, Minnesota could give players a chance of winning, we have no idea what the outlook for teams will be next season or what roster compositions and conferences end up looking like.

A player transfers for a combination of dozens of different reasons, including fit, position, coaching, personal situation and yes, winning. But to say players only transfer because they want to up their opportunity to win is either naive, cynical or both. To answer the question though? Sure, Minnesota could give players a chance of winning, we have no idea what the outlook for teams will be next season or what roster compositions and conferences end up looking like.
As we have learned from the 1987 & 1991 Twins, you can never base next season in the previous one.

I would argue that playing time is a far bigger factor in why guys transfer than winning. In a perfect world they find a contender that will offer them playing time but if winning was the primary factor in why guys transfer you wouldn't see guys moving all over the place.

Maybe he can land this guy?

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Would make for a nice bench piece on a lot of teams. Guy who could come in and drill some 3s. Definitely made a name for himself in the tournament.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Would make for a nice bench piece on a lot of teams. Guy who could come in and drill some 3s. Definitely made a name for himself in the tournament.
Gotta be Seton Hall

Gotta be Seton Hall
Agreed, Hollaway has to be thinking in year 1 to bring some of his guys in from StP. Not only does he know them, which helps year 1, but they have some hype around them which brings a little excitement if the year isnt going to be great. Bring some of that excitement and see if they can roll some NIL dollars in for the future too.

Maybe he can land this guy?

Three players dropped from Saint Peter's today (all guards). I wonder about two things:

1) How many more will follow since their coach left for the Seton Hall job?
2) How many will follow the coach to Seton Hall?

I'm thinking we won't see the UNC guys enter the portal until later this week at the earliest. Let the dust settle a little. This applies more to Walton, but I guess Garcia too.

I would argue that playing time is a far bigger factor in why guys transfer than winning. In a perfect world they find a contender that will offer them playing time but if winning was the primary factor in why guys transfer you wouldn't see guys moving all over the place.

I read somewhere fairly recently that the two biggest concerns (according to survey responses) for players in choosing a program are 1) playing time and 2) professional prospects in coming from that program. Now, #2 could mean a number of different things: team success, national exposure, the program's history in developing players for the next step, etc. Prospects here for playing time are good (particularly for guards). A player certainly can get exposure here (better than most D1 places anyway) given our number of television appearances in a year. Our recent history of professional prospects isn't great but there are worse places.

I read somewhere fairly recently that the two biggest concerns (according to survey responses) for players in choosing a program are 1) playing time and 2) professional prospects in coming from that program. Now, #2 could mean a number of different things: team success, national exposure, the program's history in developing players for the next step, etc. Prospects here for playing time are good (particularly for guards). A player certainly can get exposure here (better than most D1 places anyway) given our number of television appearances in a year. Our recent history of professional prospects isn't great but there are worse places.
Makes sense. Would seem like the chance to play in the Big Ten would be very attractive to a lot of potential transfers but it is all about finding the right fit for both the team and the player.

Top Bottom