2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Transfers are a band aid trying to cover the large wound of poor recruiting.
It is not a good way to build a program.
NE's BB program is an example.
It's a little different in the post-portal/COVID eligibility world.

I think Nebraska only brought in two transfers (WI brought in two as well).

Agreed. People who think that a program like ours should eschew the transfer market are fools. They're silly purists and/or inane sentimentalists. Even a coach like John Calipari of a program like Kentucky dips into the transfer market a bit.

Let's examine the reality of this line in the previous post:

"Transfers are a band aid trying to cover the large wound of poor recruiting."

Yes, but in the real world, you're always going to have poor recruiting at times. A very small number of elite programs can overcome that by just attracting more studs than anyone else so that their failures don't matter as much. Obviously this poster lives in the abstract world (I guess that's why he picked the name Plato).

Two or three are fine, if you are adding five or six every year it is a band aid.

Two or three are fine, if you are adding five or six every year it is a band aid.
But what if half the kids you bring in every year transfer out?

Transferring may just be the new normal.

If it works, it works. I guess I don't really care if half the roster turns over every year, so long as we find the right guys who come in and play well together.

I don't think anyone wants five or six every year. Since the transfer market is extremely competitive for good players, that sort of thing would put a real strain on a coaching staff. But, I agree with Gophers_4life: recruiting at least a small number of transfers each year is going to be the new normal for many programs.

But what if half the kids you bring in every year transfer out?

Transferring may just be the new normal.

If it works, it works. I guess I don't really care if half the roster turns over every year, so long as we find the right guys who come in and play well together.
A coach would have to be a real nitwit not to examine the transfer portal. All one has to do is a little research on some top teams and realize what is going on.

Not to be a “Negative Nellie,” but does anyone think we’ll be contributing to this threa? I mean besides losing Battle to Iowa. Or Whiskey

Curious as to how our transfer's stats this year compare to their previous school. I'll have to do some digging. I know minutes were up, but how did most of them perform moving up to the B1G ?

Not to be a “Negative Nellie,” but does anyone think we’ll be contributing to this threa? I mean besides losing Battle to Iowa. Or Whiskey
Negative Nellie? More like Dumbass Dan.

giphy.gif

Look at the roster of the starting players and where they came from.

Curious as to how our transfer's stats this year compare to their previous school. I'll have to do some digging. I know minutes were up, but how did most of them perform moving up to the B1G ?

Well, for all of those transfers, you could do that comparison by simply typing in "Minnesota basketball Sports Reference," going to the appropriate year on the Minnesota page, clicking those players, and pulling up their historical stats including advanced stats.

I will give a very quick and dirty overview based on their available advanced composite stats (PER and WinShares per 40 minutes):

1646846206169.png

So, some of the transfers' advanced composite stats were higher here, some were lower here, and one was similar.

Willis and Battle had good advanced stats composites at their prior schools and raised them a bit here.

Loewe and Stephens had good advanced stats composites at their prior schools but theirs were significantly lower here. Stephens' numbers were still fair. Loewe's were really below average but I think Loewe did a lot of things that didn't translate well to widely available players' statistics.

Sutherlin and Daniels had just so-so advanced stats composites at their prior schools. Sutherlin was able to improve his slightly for the overall season although those numbers really took a dive in conference. Daniels' composites for the overall season were well below average (but you didn't need me to tell you that!).

Last edited:

Not sure you got the intent of this thread. The purpose was to speculate on potential "incoming" transfers.

Transfers are a band aid trying to cover the large wound of poor recruiting.
It is not a good way to build a program.

Sometimes you need a Band-Aid or two to heal the wound.

It is all about time and place.

Currently, the Gophers need a few Band-Aids. The hope is they won't need as many Band-Aids in the future.

Not sure you got the intent of this thread. The purpose was to speculate on potential "incoming" transfers.
Bored waiting to see the doctor and thought it would be fun to spice it up. I’ like to bring the cumin.

Bored waiting to see the doctor and thought it would be fun to spice it up. I’ like to bring the cumin.
Here's the thing, will us be blindsided and at least one current Gopher will transfer? Odds are yes. We keep writing up potential lineups for next year, but what if one of those guys dips? TT, Thiam, Battle, who else? Ramberg?

Here's the thing, will us be blindsided and at least one current Gopher will transfer? Odds are yes. We keep writing up potential lineups for next year, but what if one of those guys dips? TT, Thiam, Battle, who else? Ramberg?
Ramberg to Tijuana U - thus becoming the first college bucket player to have played in all three North American countries in his career 😜😜

Last edited:

I think it's been pretty much covered, but leveraging the portal IS recruiting. In the same way recruiting from HS is recruiting. And while I think some mid-majors are hurt by having a previous under-the-radar type who ends up being a stud. . .and then transfers to bigger school, there are plenty of mid-majors who are also benefitting from the portal. If you're curious, just pick a few and check their rosters. It's not like their rosters are 100% filled with prep recruits.

Leveraging the portal is a must. It doesn't diminish a program in any way. It's a stretch for me to think of many schools who are NOT leveraging and benefitting from it, including blue bloods.

Isn't Ramberg a walk-on?

I believe Thiam would be eligible immediately if he transferred because he didn't transfer here from a 4-year school. I also think he takes a significant risk if he remains here for another year. I think his JUCO stats would still be appealing at this point to a low level D1 program but he will be far less appealing if he stays here another year with similar results. For those reasons, I would rate him as the player with the highest probability of transferring.

I don't think the NCAA is going to allow the free-for-all transferring that they did last season. They just created that free one-time transfer rule so I think they'll enforce it in most cases this offseason. For that reason, I wouldn't worry much about Battle.

TT should be immediately eligible under the free one-time transfer rule but I think it would be in his best interest to work hard over the summer and give his current team at least one more season to see if his prospects improve.

I don't see Ihnen or Fox as big threats because they are coming off significant injuries and are almost guaranteed significant playing time here.

Isn't Ramberg a walk-on?

I believe Thiam would be eligible immediately if he transferred because he didn't transfer here from a 4-year school. I also think he takes a significant risk if he remains here for another year. I think his JUCO stats would still be appealing at this point to a low level D1 program but he will be far less appealing if he stays here another year with similar results. For those reasons, I would rate him as the player with the highest probability of transferring.

I don't think the NCAA is going to allow the free-for-all transferring that they did last season. They just created that free one-time transfer rule so I think they'll enforce it in most cases this offseason. For that reason, I wouldn't worry much about Battle.

TT should be immediately eligible under the free one-time transfer rule but I think it would be in his best interest to work hard over the summer and give his current team at least one more season to see if his prospects improve.

I don't see Ihnen or Fox as big threats because they are coming off significant injuries and are almost guaranteed significant playing time here.
Yes, Ramberg is a walk on so he could transfer no matter what. I think he would only transfer if his ultimate goal was to earn a full scholarship somewhere (he could have had a "partial" scholarship at McGill University). Otherwise I would be surprised to see him leave given the relatively large amount of playing time he saw, for a walk on, during the season, and how big of a deal it was for him to be able to play at the U.

I don't see Battle transferring, he certainly could and would have teams jumping all over him be he has said before how happy he is to be playing here and close to home.

I don't see TT transferring either because he seems to have been a really good supportive teammate, seems to enjoy his time, highly motivated to play at the U in the first place. I only see him transferring a couple years down the line if he doesn't earn consistent minutes. I think he will eventually earn consistent minutes whether or not he ever starts.

I agree with the Ihnen & Fox take along with Fox was supermotivated to come here in the first place and Ihnen has seemed engaged on the bench.

I have no clue on Thiam, I hope he stays and I think he should. He just needs to work on his ball handling, learn to pass the ball more and just calm down and play within the system. Mentally he was not prepared and that really showed with his 3 point shooting.

Sometimes you need a Band-Aid or two to heal the wound.

It is all about time and place.

Currently, the Gophers need a few Band-Aids. The hope is they won't need as many Band-Aids in the future.
I agree and I don't think band-aids are all bad and it's the new normal. You don't want to be stuck bringing in 10 freshmen. Transfers help fill out and balance classes. Battle is not a band-aid.

the new transfer rules are not a 1-time deal. it is - as far as I can tell - a permanent rule.

so, in that sense, because Battle has transferred once, he has used his "free pass" and would have to go through the waiver process or sit out a year to transfer again.

I'm not clear on what you mean by the NCAA "allowing" free-for-all transferring. The rule is the rule. Any player who has not used their free pass yet is certainly able to use it if they choose. there is no allow to it. the only question would be for players trying to make a 2nd transfer.

Found this online on bestcolleges.com:

First, the NCAA's "one-time transfer rule" took effect on April 28, 2021. Then on July 1, 2021, the NCAA made it possible for athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness. Now, just like coaches, players can easily change schools and, perhaps, strike it rich in the process.

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring. If denied a transfer by a coach, a long process could ensue.

the new transfer rules are not a 1-time deal. it is - as far as I can tell - a permanent rule.

so, in that sense, because Battle has transferred once, he has used his "free pass" and would have to go through the waiver process or sit out a year to transfer again.

I'm not clear on what you mean by the NCAA "allowing" free-for-all transferring. The rule is the rule. Any player who has not used their free pass yet is certainly able to use it if they choose. there is no allow to it. the only question would be for players trying to make a 2nd transfer.

Found this online on bestcolleges.com:

First, the NCAA's "one-time transfer rule" took effect on April 28, 2021. Then on July 1, 2021, the NCAA made it possible for athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness. Now, just like coaches, players can easily change schools and, perhaps, strike it rich in the process.

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring. If denied a transfer by a coach, a long process could ensue.

I didn't give an explanation but my understanding was as you described. What I meant by "free" was no excuses or case needed for one career transfer from a four year school to a four year school. Perhaps I didn't give it the best term but I assumed most knew the rule.

What I meant by "free for all" transferring was what went on during the 2021 off season.

Look at the roster of the starting players and where they came from.
Yep, I follow college basketball. I understand you looked at a bad team with a lot of transfers and you believe this is proof of your point.

Kentucky, Auburn, Texas Tech and many other successful teams have a very similar breakdown. So really good teams/programs have dipped into the transfer portal just as much as Nebraska.

You started your theory at your conclusion and found an example that fit.

I didn't give an explanation but my understanding was as you described. What I meant by "free" was no excuses or case needed for one career transfer from a four year school to a four year school. Perhaps I didn't give it the best term but I assumed most knew the rule.

What I meant by "free for all" transferring was what went on during the 2021 off season.

I agree to this extent: in the first year of the new rule, every player in college BB was free to transfer.

Now, there are a number of players who have used their free pass and are no longer eligible.

But, at the same time, all of this season's freshmen are newly eligible, so there is a whole new pool of potential transfer candidates.

If I had to guess, I would say there might be slightly fewer overall transfers, but I think the portal is here to stay, and people just need to accept that players they like might transfer. on the other hand, their team might pick up a good player through the portal. it works both ways.

I agree to this extent: in the first year of the new rule, every player in college BB was free to transfer.

Now, there are a number of players who have used their free pass and are no longer eligible.

But, at the same time, all of this season's freshmen are newly eligible, so there is a whole new pool of potential transfer candidates.

If I had to guess, I would say there might be slightly fewer overall transfers, but I think the portal is here to stay, and people just need to accept that players they like might transfer. on the other hand, their team might pick up a good player through the portal. it works both ways.

I agree with all of that although I think there will be significantly fewer transfers this year than last year (when there appeared to be no enforced rules) although still higher than two years ago. As you implied, a larger than usual share may be freshmen. I'm seeing a lot of them so far.

Yep, I follow college basketball. I understand you looked at a bad team with a lot of transfers and you believe this is proof of your point.

Kentucky, Auburn, Texas Tech and many other successful teams have a very similar breakdown. So really good teams/programs have dipped into the transfer portal just as much as Nebraska.

You started your theory at your conclusion and found an example that fit.
Well done, sir!

You forgot Arizona. Arizona lost something like 8 or 9 players to the portal in 2021 and look at the year they had (with a first year head coach too!). Just goes to show that if your program has the reputation, you can replace your losses pretty well.

Yes, Ramberg is a walk on so he could transfer no matter what. I think he would only transfer if his ultimate goal was to earn a full scholarship somewhere (he could have had a "partial" scholarship at McGill University). Otherwise I would be surprised to see him leave given the relatively large amount of playing time he saw, for a walk on, during the season, and how big of a deal it was for him to be able to play at the U.

I don't see Battle transferring, he certainly could and would have teams jumping all over him be he has said before how happy he is to be playing here and close to home.

I don't see TT transferring either because he seems to have been a really good supportive teammate, seems to enjoy his time, highly motivated to play at the U in the first place. I only see him transferring a couple years down the line if he doesn't earn consistent minutes. I think he will eventually earn consistent minutes whether or not he ever starts.

I agree with the Ihnen & Fox take along with Fox was supermotivated to come here in the first place and Ihnen has seemed engaged on the bench.

I have no clue on Thiam, I hope he stays and I think he should. He just needs to work on his ball handling, learn to pass the ball more and just calm down and play within the system. Mentally he was not prepared and that really showed with his 3 point shooting.
I'll admit I didn't see all 49 minutes Thiam played, but I saw absolutely nothing in the minutes he had that indicated he will be ready to play in the Big 10, at any point. I realize many kids make an unexpected big jump in college, but it would have to be a night and day improvement for him to get to the point where he makes even a small positive impact. TT got more minutes because we were so thin up front, and he struggled, but he also showed some flashes of talent. He's also tall, so you give a lot more rope to a big guy. Short guards who are turnover machines are easy to find... I'd encourage Thiam to leave if I was BJ.

Also, I hope I'm completely wrong and Thiam is all Big 10 in 3 years.

Top Bottom