2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I'll admit I didn't see all 49 minutes Thiam played, but I saw absolutely nothing in the minutes he had that indicated he will be ready to play in the Big 10, at any point. I realize many kids make an unexpected big jump in college, but it would have to be a night and day improvement for him to get to the point where he makes even a small positive impact. TT got more minutes because we were so thin up front, and he struggled, but he also showed some flashes of talent. He's also tall, so you give a lot more rope to a big guy. Short guards who are turnover machines are easy to find... I'd encourage Thiam to leave if I was BJ.

Also, I hope I'm completely wrong and Thiam is all Big 10 in 3 years.
Concur. Thiam is clearly not a B1G player.

I'll admit I didn't see all 49 minutes Thiam played, but I saw absolutely nothing in the minutes he had that indicated he will be ready to play in the Big 10, at any point. I realize many kids make an unexpected big jump in college, but it would have to be a night and day improvement for him to get to the point where he makes even a small positive impact. TT got more minutes because we were so thin up front, and he struggled, but he also showed some flashes of talent. He's also tall, so you give a lot more rope to a big guy. Short guards who are turnover machines are easy to find... I'd encourage Thiam to leave if I was BJ.

Can't say I disagree with anything you said. Just add the caveat we don't know what Ben sees in practice.

The reason Thiam will transfer to a lower level D1 school is to play. Here he will be passed by new guards coming in each year who are better.

The reason Thiam will transfer to a lower level D1 school is to play. Here he will be passed by new guards coming in each year who are better.

Sounds pretty likely and he would be better off doing that sooner rather than later.

235 in the portal so far. This has really changed the structure of college sports.

Some cool sounding names recently, Jonah Carrasco, Omar Figueroa, Mark Lukic, Mayoum Mayoum, Pape Momar Cisse, but, they kind of suck as players. Up to 240

Some cool sounding names recently, Jonah Carrasco, Omar Figueroa, Mark Lukic, Mayoum Mayoum, Pape Momar Cisse, but, they kind of suck as players. Up to 240

The last one definitely is my favorite. I guess Mayoum's parents couldn't agree on a first name so they just duplicated his last name.

Presbyterian has one of the more unusual team names: The Blue Hose.

"Hose" refers to the stocking type of hose rather than the garden type of hose.
…With your hose of blue,
Dressed in gingham too…

PG from Incarnate Word in the portal. Drew Lutz, originally from Indiana high school. Only 6'1" and Ben didn't bring in any from the portal last year that small.
Can't believe Carson Cunningham is going to last much longer as the coach there.
Up to 274 in the portal.

East Tennessee State's leading scorer, Leddarius Brewer, just dropped into the portal. Although he transferred previously, he sat out a year on that one. The upcoming season would be his 6th post-high school year.

An interesting point guard prospect from Tennessee Tech dropped yesterday: Keishawn Davidson

Fair shooter from the field, outstanding free throw shooter, and a very good assist to turnover ratio.

An interesting point guard prospect from Tennessee Tech dropped yesterday: Keishawn Davidson

Fair shooter from the field, outstanding free throw shooter, and a very good assist to turnover ratio.
Does get a lot of assists and shot the 3 well.
All in all, the portal is a little more sparse than I suspected it to be.
Up to 292

Does get a lot of assists and shot the 3 well.
All in all, the portal is a little more sparse than I suspected it to be.
Up to 292

I expected significantly fewer than last season but we're not even half way through March yet. I'm a bit surprised by the what appears to be a high percentage of freshmen. I would think after your sophomore year would be the best time to transfer under the new rules.

I expected significantly fewer than last season but we're not even half way through March yet. I'm a bit surprised by the what appears to be a high percentage of freshmen. I would think after your sophomore year would be the best time to transfer under the new rules.
Well, one theory on the freshmen is that they committed to a school during covid and never had the opportunity to see it in person. At least that was the reason one writer gave earlier this year when he said to expect a high number of freshmen.

235 in the portal so far. This has really changed the structure of college sports.
Has it? Huge amounts of transfers have been the norm for a long long time. It’s all consolidated and more public now

Well, one theory on the freshmen is that they committed to a school during covid and never had the opportunity to see it in person. At least that was the reason one writer gave earlier this year when he said to expect a high number of freshmen.

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that.

But what if half the kids you bring in every year transfer out?

Transferring may just be the new normal.

If it works, it works. I guess I don't really care if half the roster turns over every year, so long as we find the right guys who come in and play well together.
That means you are failing miserably as a coach on many fronts. You are not roster managing. You are not developing and creating opportunities. People want to play in an environment that excites them and that includes winning which you are probably not doing. You are probably recruiting guys who marginally want to be there.

If that is happening time to move on from a coaching perspective.

Remember the stats of Loewe, Sutherlin, Stephens, and Battle- those are the type of mid major transfers we will be looking into

Top Bottom