2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

This is all clear as mud, but I don't believe the schools CURRENTLY have anything to do with the NIL contract, that I think is just between the kid and the booster/company. Thus I would say there is 0 to do with academics outside of, hey if you aren't in school at the U or wherever I am not paying you so outside of being eligible I doubt there is anything to that.

Now my idea that there needs to be an actual contract between the school/player/NIL person could change that, but as it sits now I don't think there is anything.
With agents involved, I imagine contracts, but... We'll see!

There was 'money and free agency' before but there was at least some attempt to police it. The money for hire should not be in college athletics. Those wanting to be paid for playing the game should go to a developmental league. NIL needs to have some sideboards to ensure that it meets the intent. It appears that there are many 'deals' now where agents simply smell blood in the water and are circling athletes and trying to get a bite of the action.
Sure there could’ve been some guidelines/regulations. All the NIL is doing is making what used to happen public. If anything it can help the clean guys because they may get in the game.

This is a new market and there will be overpaying initially until the marker matures.

Sure there could’ve been some guidelines/regulations. All the NIL is doing is making what used to happen public. If anything it can help the clean guys because they may get in the game.
You're telling me that the $ beforehand were equal to those after? I've got a bridge to sell you!

We can't just sweep this under the rug... this is a whole new ballgame. Bucky Irving would never have left the Gophers for the Ducks over the past several weeks under the old format. Oregon has historically run a clean program.

Oregon built itself up on the back of Phil Knight's donations which paid for pretty little arenas and practice facilities. In today's NIL world, the Nike Ducks (we might as well call the teams by their benefactor's names now) will have a unique ability to attract just the right talent by paying them cold, hard cash.

Nothing to see here folks... keep on moving!

Last edited:

You're telling me that the $ beforehand were equal to those after? I've got a bridge to sell you!

We can't just sweep this under the rug... this is a whole new ballgame. Bucky Irving would never have left the Gophers for the Ducks over the past several weeks under the old format. Oregon has historically run a clean program.

Oregon built itself up on the back of Phil Knight's donations which paid for pretty little arenas and practice facilities. In today's NIL world, the Nike Beavers (we might as well call the teams by their benefactor's names now) will have a unique ability to attract just the right talent by paying them cold, hard cash.

So instead of wasting money on a new facility they give it to players now. I don’t understand how you think Irving wouldn’t transfer to Oregon like Oregon hasn’t been the better program. It’s not like NIL was the X Factor in that

You made a vague nonsensical statement. He's not playing. He's not coaching. So what do you expect him to do to help gophers win?
Based on your statements above, there is no need for the position of AD. After all, the AD doesn’t play or coach.

I know this is not transfer portal material but it does have to do with an ex gopher. I hadn't noticed that Marcus Carr is heading back to the Longhorns for one more year until now.

Based on your statements above, there is no need for the position of AD. After all, the AD doesn’t play or coach.
Quit playing games. What do you want coyle to do in terms of nil?

Oregon built itself up on the back of Phil Knight's donations which paid for pretty little arenas and practice facilities. In today's NIL world, the Nike Beavers (we might as well call the teams by their benefactor's names now) will have a unique ability to attract just the right talent by paying them cold, hard cash.

Oregon Ducks, Oregon State Beavers.

Any word on what Strong is going to do? Has Jones committed to Stanford or is he in the mix?
It's like some of these players go into the witness protection program after entering the portal and others are like the Kardashians. Guess the middle ground is Samuels and the visit in a couple of days. Strange times.

It's like some of these players go into the witness protection program after entering the portal and others are like the Kardashians. Guess the middle ground is Samuels and the visit in a couple of days. Strange times.
Johnny is probably right about prearranged agreements not yet public, but there is also the possibility that the people involved would like to remain private and are not sharing the details. Jones is the big mystery to me. On paper, he should be a highly sought after player, and subject to lots of conversation (i.e. gossip) and he is the one most like Witness Protection. That's really wierd. I would have expected internet geeks to just splash stuff out there about him, true or not.

Top Bottom