2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Just missing the really good ones, eh?
Battle is really good. Fox will be quite good. Ihnen has a chance. But yes, one or two good players are needed from the portal along with help from at least Payne and a freshman guard.

Hmmm 🤔… I wasn’t even talking about you interesting you responded though because only about 97% of your posts are idiotic. IMO of course…

He shot 42% from 3 last year & 35% from 3 this year, which isn't that bad for most guys but for a guy that is pretty much only a shooter 35% is far from good
Jamison Battle shot 36% from 3 this year....I'd describe him as a pretty damn good shooter. Walton would be a great addition.....I hope he doesn't read this board. LOL

Jamison Battle shot 36% from 3 this year....I'd describe him as a pretty damn good shooter. Walton would be a great addition.....I hope he doesn't read this board. LOL
Jamison shot more than just 3s and the level of difficulty of some of his shots is a lot higher than Walton who is mostly shooting spot 3s. I'm not saying we couldn't use him but in my opinion, he is basically Gabe without the defense.

Jamison shot more than just 3s and the level of difficulty of some of his shots is a lot higher than Walton who is mostly shooting spot 3s. I'm not saying we couldn't use him but in my opinion, he is basically Gabe without the defense.
Genuinely curious: Do you think Walton is an upgrade over EJ Stephens, Loewe, or Sutherlin? Given the roster at this juncture, if he wants to come here, you probably take him regardless.

Interestingly, last year's squad consistently tried to play good defense. The effort was apparent. However, they weren't good defensively (per the analytics), mostly due to a massive athleticism gap and no inside presence.

Is Walton really that much of a liability? Again, genuinely curious as I've only seen him play in spurts at UNC and have always thought he looked pretty good. Trying to project a kid's defensive intensity is probably a fool's errand, but I can't fathom him not being an upgrade over some of the guards that played big minutes last year.

Many people here couldn't wait to get rid of Gabe, but he's a significantly better player than Walton. Once again, if Walton wasn't from here, very few would be excited about the possibilities of him transferring here.

One one hand posters here are eternally hopeful and on the other hand they allow themselves to be set up for disappointment.

Genuinely curious: Do you think Walton is an upgrade over EJ Stephens, Loewe, or Sutherlin? Given the roster at this juncture, if he wants to come here, you probably take him regardless.

Interestingly, last year's squad consistently tried to play good defense. The effort was apparent. However, they weren't good defensively (per the analytics), mostly due to a massive athleticism gap and no inside presence.

Is Walton really that much of a liability? Again, genuinely curious as I've only seen him play in spurts at UNC and have always thought he looked pretty good. Trying to project a kid's defensive intensity is probably a fool's errand, but I can't fathom him not being an upgrade over some of the guards that played big minutes last year.
He will definitely be an upgrade over those 3 guys, but those 3 didn't belong in the Big Ten. I am not saying Walton couldn't play here but as much as the board complained about Gabe, why are we getting so excited by a non-defending version of him.

I know that comparing Walton and Gabe's shooting is a bit unfair because Gabe has four years of playing vs. Walton's two. Gabe's outside shooting declined over time and maybe Walton's could do that same. Like Gabe, he did have a slump from his freshman to soph years.

Having said that. Gabe's career shooting average on threes was .310, on twos was .453, and on free throws - .742. Walton's respective career averages on those types of shots was .399, .468, and .875. Neither player got to the line very often although Gabe got there more often than Walton..

Gabe's 3 point shooting was particularly bad in his last two years and Walton hasn't arrived there yet. But, if Walton doesn't have a two-year slump as bad as Gabe, he will end up as a better career shooter. On an efficiency basis, Walton's second year was worse than Gabe's second year but Walton's freshman year was better than Gabe's.

Gabe has shot under 25% from three the last two years, Walton shoots 10% higher. I'm not seeing the comparison at all. Walton is a much better shooter the last two years, even with the average shooting year this year. 35% from three is in the top 100 for three point percentage this year.

Has anyone watched Gabe play basketball? I think you have to have 0 confidence in your shot as a guard to shoot under 25% from three (he even shot under 65% from the free throw line). He's much better on the defensive side of the ball (and probably overall) than Walton from what I've seen but there's no comparison between the two on the offensive side.

Last edited:

Gabe has shot under 25% from three the last two years, Walton shoots 10% higher. I'm not seeing the comparison at all. Walton is a much better shooter the last two years, even with the average shooting year this year.
Gabe 1st 2 years he shot 41% & 34%. How is it not a comparison? The last 2 years for Gabe have been terrible. I don't see Walton dropping as low as Gabe but wouldn't be surprised if he was closer to 33-35% compared to the 40+ range

Gabe 1st 2 years he shot 41% & 34%. How is it not a comparison? The last 2 years for Gabe have been terrible. I don't see Walton dropping as low as Gabe but wouldn't be surprised if he was closer to 33-35% compared to the 40+ range
Under 25% from three is embarrassing. I'm talking about what Gabe has turned into. Not sure why you are comparing them at the current state.

He will definitely be an upgrade over those 3 guys, but those 3 didn't belong in the Big Ten. I am not saying Walton couldn't play here but as much as the board complained about Gabe, why are we getting so excited by a non-defending version of him.
That's fair. I imagine CBJ has a grandiose vision of what he wants his best possible roster to look like. That roster isn't likely viable today. There may be guys that help build the program who are marginal improvements year-over-year, help win a few more games, build more momentum, and make the overall vision more attainable.

One one hand posters here are eternally hopeful and on the other hand they allow themselves to be set up for disappointment.
It's part of being a Gopher fan. I go into every game hopeful and I come home from most of them disappointed.

Stephens, Sutherlin and Loewe did just fine in the Big Ten. If Fox and Ihnen are healthy then Loewe probably becomes a bench player and he would have been perfect in that role.

Those 3 didn't look overmatched, they weren't stars but they held up just fine.

Agreed. Also as your minutes and role comes into question your shooting confidence goes down.

Many people here couldn't wait to get rid of Gabe, but he's a significantly better player than Walton. Once again, if Walton wasn't from here, very few would be excited about the possibilities of him transferring here.
I wasn't one of them

I was hoping Ben could've kept Gabe, his defense and other value outweigh his shooting woes

Top Bottom