2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

He definitely had an offer from the Gophers didn't he?
It is not as clear with the transfer portal as with high school players. Transfer players don't often tweet out that they received an 'offer' from such and such school. You just hear that schools A-Z reached out to such and such player but you never know the nature of the conversation.

I admit that I am getting antsy and seeing some names that the U was connected with going other places makes me a little antsier!

He definitely had an offer from the Gophers didn't he?
Who knows what an offer may have looked like? Ben may not have been willing to say "yes" to him yet if he did offer, and Larson may also not have liked the opportunity Ben presented. And, maybe he really just liked the opportunity he was going to get at Charleston and wanted to jump on that and not wait around for the U and others.

Kendric Davis (SMU) just entered the portal, uff he would be AMAZING but sadly, hes not coming here. He is going to have every blue blood and top 10 program on him like crazy.

Larson to CoC, which begs the question, did we cool on him? :) I think that was probably the right level for him, he didnt feel/look like a B1G player to me. Maybe should say at least one who didnt get a big minute load, back up sure.
Gophers reached out on him initially but that was about it. Never got an offer and Gophers haven't been on him for a while now.

Gophers reached out on him initially but that was about it. Never got an offer and Gophers haven't been on him for a while now.
You speak like an insider ( otherwise you couldn't know that). How do you feel about are chances for picking up pieces of the puzzle that the nervous fans among us here are going to be excited about?

Larson to CoC, which begs the question, did we cool on him? :) I think that was probably the right level for him, he didnt feel/look like a B1G player to me. Maybe should say at least one who didnt get a big minute load, back up sure.
He can't defend at the B1G level, I don't see how he could of ever got any playing time.

Larson to CoC, which begs the question, did we cool on him?

You know, maybe...just maybe... he didn't want to come here. He just spent 4 years in South Carolina and now he's going to another South Carolina university (a pretty good one too as I understand). Maybe he likes it there and doesn't want to come back here and freeze his ass off next winter. Maybe he has friends and/or a girlfriend that he rather stay closer to. Charleston is also a very nice area and would be a good place for a lot of people to spend at least a year.

A lot of people around here talk about basketball players like they're robots. They spend their lives in a pod and are let out only to practice and play games. The only decisions that matter to them are things that maximize their basketball prospects and exposure. They don't have opinions, preferences, or any other goals in life that don't concern basketball. They don't have friends or significant others, only teammates and coaches.

Last edited:

I am bumping this very informative Ragnor post about the timing of last year's commits:

Summary:
March 29- Battle April 2- Loewe, April 3-Stephens, April 12- Sutherlin, April 15-Fox, April 16- Willis
Daniels and Ogele came in June and July....

Essentially, our business of filling a whole roster from nothin' last year was done by April 16th. Nobody they got afterwards helped.

While this timing isn't definitive, it is a good benchmark.

Again, H/T to Ragnor for an outstanding bit of research!
Despite my suggestion for patience...I am concerned now. I thought we'd have at least one guy by now. Assuming we are adding 4 or 5 guys it has to happen pretty quick for at least one or two of them. Like somebody said 75% of the guys in the portal can't help us. The guys after April 16th last year were not helpful.
Some of these guys are probably waiting to see who else we take...depending on their mindset....how good will we be? Or, I'd like to know who I gotta beat out to play big minutes.
Wait too long...they go elsewhere where the roster is only adding one guy or already has an all star lineup and say add me too it.

Yipes. This kid is 5-10 150 # and his stats got worse from his sophomore year to his senior year.
I agree whole heartedly, but we need two point guards, right? Start with somebody and recruit somebody better. If he is a point guard, the less than two assists a game as a senior is questionable but he earned a lot of minutes and the team was decent so he must be effective. AND, its one year.

Despite my suggestion for patience...I am concerned now. I thought we'd have at least one guy by now. Assuming we are adding 4 or 5 guys it has to happen pretty quick for at least one or two of them. Like somebody said 75% of the guys in the portal can't help us. The guys after April 16th last year were not helpful.

If everyone comes back, they only have room for 4 transfers. The conclusion that 75% of the guys in the portal "can't help us" was not based on a careful study of the matter so I would take it with a grain of salt. Also, there were plenty of good players left in the portal after April 16th of last year. We just didn't get any of them.

I agree whole heartedly, but we need two point guards, right? Start with somebody and recruit somebody better. If he is a point guard, the less than two assists a game as a senior is questionable but he earned a lot of minutes and the team was decent so he must be effective. AND, its one year.
Think there are 391 point guards in the portal with 50 of those taken. So still a few left.

You know, maybe...just maybe... he didn't want to come here. Maybe he likes it there and doesn't want to come back here and freeze his ass off next winter. Maybe he has friends and/or a girlfriend that he rather stay closer to.

Maybe Larson just loves CoC?

Top Bottom