2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

And none of have jumped on the offer? This is the same as last year - offers go out and diffident Ben waits for the phone to ring.
This is not the same as last year. Players are committing at a slower rate this year than last. Johnson is not passively twiddling his thumbs. He didn't wait by the phone last year either.

Last year, Johnson thought he had the Texas A&M package of Associate Head Coach Jamie McNeilly and players, Emanuel Miller and Cashius McNeilly. We don't know what happened but the deal with the coach fell apart and the two likely starters did not transfer in.

Since he was a one man show at the time, he relied on the three birds in the bush versus the one in the hand and got bit big time. This dalliance forced Johnson to play catch up.

This is not the same as last year. Players are committing at a slower rate this year than last. Johnson is not passively twiddling his thumbs. He didn't wait by the phone last year either.

Last year, Johnson thought he had the Texas A&M package of Associate Head Coach Jamie McNeilly and players, Emanuel Miller and Cashius McNeilly. We don't know what happened but the deal with the coach fell apart and the two likely starters did not transfer in.

Since he was a one man show at the time, he relied on the three birds in the bush versus the one in the hand and got bit big time. This dalliance forced Johnson to play catch up.
Totally forgot about that. Thanks for the insight. I was surprised to see Emanuel Miller have a down year at TCU (in every statistical rate/counting category). Looks like McNeilly spent the year in JUCO and is now headed to Maryland.

I've been seeing a few mentions on twitter if Walton enters the portal that Creighton may be in the mix.

Totally forgot about that. Thanks for the insight. I was surprised to see Emanuel Miller have a down year at TCU (in every statistical rate/counting category). Looks like McNeilly spent the year in JUCO and is now headed to Maryland.
TCU played great team ball and won a tournament game, he knew his role, wouldn't call it a down year

TCU played great team ball and won a tournament game, he knew his role, wouldn't call it a down year
Good point, he went from an 8-10 TA&M team to 21-13 TCU in the tournament.

FG% went from 57% to 49%, FT% from 82% to 69%, and his per 40 minute rates of assists/rebounds/points. He did go from blocking almost no shots (2) to 26 on the year.

Riddle me this. I realize their will be a gap between when a player enters the portal and when it is reported he is in the portal, but damn, he had those two locked up before the ink dried on their portal papers.

I was very wrong. The Mitchell brothers sat in the portal for over a week.

I've been seeing a few mentions on twitter if Walton enters the portal that Creighton may be in the mix.
The fit makes sense there. I'm fine if we don't end up with Walton. Would take him though.

most guys we have offered haven't chosen a school yet...patience
Of course. My point is that the top prospects in the pool are not clamoring to go to UMN. This means that the growth and strength of this basketball program will come from old fashioned teaching and coaching freshmen up to seniors as they grow within the program. Once Ben has established a culture and tradition of excellence, then the transfer portal will attract better talent to UMN.

It is unrealistic to think we will immediately jump from 14 to 8 in one off-season, and it seems some folks are setting themselves up for disappointment here.

Of course. My point is that the top prospects in the pool are not clamoring to go to UMN. This means that the growth and strength of this basketball program will come from old fashioned teaching and coaching freshmen up to seniors as they grow within the program. Once Ben has established a culture and tradition of excellence, then the transfer portal will attract better talent to UMN.

It is unrealistic to think we will immediately jump from 14 to 8 in one off-season, and it seems some folks are setting themselves up for disappointment here.
Pretty much every single year.

Tubby Smith finished 6th in the B1G his first season. Richard Pitino finished 7th in his first season. It's unrealistic to expect Johnson to finish 8th in his second season with the transfer portal the way it is today?

Tubby Smith finished 6th in the B1G his first season. Richard Pitino finished 7th in his first season. It's unrealistic to expect Johnson to finish 8th in his second season with the transfer portal the way it is today?
Yep.
You are comparing apple to oranges and I am not buying apples.

Would Ben say ‘I expect us to place in the lower quartile due to the portal.’ Why should we? I expect Ben to field a team next year that contends for the title in the big ten tourney.

I am sure I skew to the panic side of the spectrum more than some, mostly because last year gave me PTSD about ending up with guys who had 0 business on a D1 roster. But just some perspective here. Looks like last year about 23% of transfers were committed, this year looks like about 8.5% or so.

I am sure I skew to the panic side of the spectrum more than some, mostly because last year gave me PTSD about ending up with guys who had 0 business on a D1 roster. But just some perspective here. Looks like last year about 23% of transfers were committed, this year looks like about 8.5% or so.
Outside of Daniels, what other transfers from last year had zero business being on a D1 roster?

Battle and Willis were great
Loewe, Suthelin, and Stephens were solid and proved they could play at this level.
Fox was injured but feel very confident he would have been on Battle/Willis level

Daniels was the only bust on the transfer side. Assume maybe you are counting Thiam as a transfer also.

Regardless, Johnson grabbed a solid group of transfers in year 1. Hitting on 6 of 7 in the portal is pretty impressive.

Outside of Daniels, what other transfers from last year had zero business being on a D1 roster?

Loewe, Suthelin, and Stephens were solid and proved they could play at this level.
Fox was injured but feel very confident he would have been on Battle/Willis level

Daniels was the only bust on the transfer side. Assume maybe you are counting Thiam as a transfer also.

Regardless, Johnson grabbed a solid group of transfers in year 1. Hitting on 6 of 7 in the portal is pretty impressive.
I don't think he was a bust. I think he was expected to be our 3rd center and then had to be our back up.

Battle and Willis level. Duly noted.

Lots to live up to for Mr Fox.

Ogele should play D2, maybe d3 and yah I guess I added in Thiam as he was a spring recruit, plus Ramberg so we had roughly 33% of the roster that should not have played D1. I know some was just practice team additions but still when 33% of your roster is WAY over their head and 2 are hurt it makes me nervous we have no one yet.

I don't think he was a bust. I think he was expected to be our 3rd center and then had to be our back up.
Yeah bust is not quite right -- he was a backup at Stephen F. Austin. Nobody expected him to come in and be a contributor in the B10. He was the result of several misses in recruiting big men.

Might be adding things up incorrectly, but am only seeing 22 commits thus far to Power 6 schools.
(That is looking at it with EvanMiya and Verbal Commits)

Last edited:

Ogele should play D2, maybe d3 and yah I guess I added in Thiam as he was a spring recruit, plus Ramberg so we had roughly 33% of the roster that should not have played D1. I know some was just practice team additions but still when 33% of your roster is WAY over their head and 2 are hurt it makes me nervous we have no one yet.
Every team has some back of the bench guys who are not legit options to see significant playing time.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next few weeks but as the posted tweets have pointed out it is way too soon to worry as the vast majority of the players in the portal have not committed anywhere yet.

Johnson did a solid job with the crop he brought in for last year, and hopefully he is able to bring in an even stronger group this time around.

Would Ben say ‘I expect us to place in the lower quartile due to the portal.’ Why should we? I expect Ben to field a team next year that contends for the title in the big ten tourney.
For the Big Ten Title? That's crazy talk. I expect improvements and being more competitive but we don't even know who will be the rotation or roster as of yet and we are talking title

Top Bottom