Outback - Iowa
Music City - Illinois
Mayo - Maryland
Pinstripe - Gophers
Phoenix - Wisconsin

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Not sure I agree with their analysis. Penn state not likely in cotton I think

Orange or citrus or rose all more likely

I was looking through some things and I think it’s a possibility if we lose to Wisconsin

Playoff - big ten champ
Rose - big ten east #2
Orange or citrus - penn state
Reliaquest (former outback) - Iowa
Dukes mayo - Purdue
Music city - Illinois
Pin stripe - Wisconsin (Maryland here last year)
Guaranteed rate bowl - Maryland (Minnesota here last year)
Quick lane - Minnesota

Two in the playoff and the big ten won’t fill the quick lane bowl because penn state will go rose and citrus can only drop big ten if big ten in orange (is my understanding)

Iowa/Purdue wins the big ten and the big ten won’t fill the quick lane bowl (because penn state will go to citrus even if big ten east #2 goes to orange)

Big ten doesn’t care about repeats Minnesota goes to guaranteed rate bowl over Maryland because I think that’s the way they’d like it…I think possible because they don’t like sending Maryland west anyways
Yup, I agree with this 100%. Stung a little to see a couple Quick Lane predictions today, but honestly it stands to reason if MN loses to Wisconsin. If they win, I think Pinstripe or Music City. They lost a lot of things by blowing that game last night, including bowl positioning -- big time.

And actually, in December, with all the holiday decorations, even that's pretty cool. But weather wise, I don't think I'd want to sit in Yankee Stadium.

Rockefeller Center with the tree and the rink is pretty cool; it can be in the 40s at the end of December, but it’s not a great venue for football unfortunately.

Last edited:

Rockefeller Center with the tree and the rink is pretty cool; it can be in the 40s, but it’s not a great venue for football unfortunately.
No, I can't imagine Rockefeller Center would be a good place to hold a football game. :)

Not sure I agree with their analysis. Penn state not likely in cotton I think

Orange or citrus or rose all more likely
They're NY6 guaranteed unless they lose at home to Mich State this Sat.

CFP rankings don't move you down if you don't lose, and they were already top 11. That's a guaranteed NY6 bowl.

If they're the top ranked remaining from the Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame when it's the Orange's turn to pick, then the Orange will take them in a heartbeat. If not, they'll end up in the Cotton against the G5 rep.

CFP rankings don't move you down if you don't lose, and they were already top 11. That's a guaranteed NY6 bowl.

If they're the top ranked remaining from the Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame when it's the Orange's turn to pick, then the Orange will take them in a heartbeat. If not, they'll end up in the Cotton against the G5 rep.
Correct.
But the cotton is better for the gophers than the orange
There are huge ramifications for the big ten bowl pecking order if cotton vs orange vs rose

Correct.
But the cotton is better for the gophers than the orange
There are huge ramifications for the big ten bowl pecking order if cotton vs orange vs rose
Michigan is going to the Rose. OSU to the CFP. That's my thinking. Or vice versa. Don't see them both in.

You are correct that the Big Ten loses the Outback bowl if Penn St gets the Orange. Cotton, we still get both the Citrus and Outback.

Iowa and Purdue are going to the Florida bowls (assuming we keep both).

We still have to fight Illinois and Maryland for the next tier. Music City and Mayo

Maryland should end up 7-5 (4-5), Illinois should end up 8-4 (5-4). Hopefully we tie ILL. The head-to-head won't matter officially, the bowls get to pick who they want. Big Ten doesn't care at that point.

Beat Wisconsin and we should get an SEC team in the Music City or Reliaquest Bowl. Lose to Wisconsin and this season was a giant failure that Fleck deserves a ton of blame for.

It's interesting, but none of the predictions I've seen have PSU in a NY6 bowl. PSU fan boards are pretty split on the possibility as well. They think there's a chance that two of LSU/Bama/Tennessee are not in the playoff and end up ranked ahead of them...plus the chance of TCU and Clemson making the playoff, therefore giving lower ranked teams like KSU and UNC auto-bids to the NY6.

So much can still happen, but my personal prediction is Quick Lane with a loss next week and Pinstripe with a win. I think they'll win, so I'll predict something like this:

OSU/Mich: CFP & Rose
PSU: Citrus
Iowa: Reliaquest
Purdue: Mayo
Illinois: Music City
MN: Pinstripe
Maryland: Guaranteed Rate
Wisconsin: Quick Lane

If PSU goes to the Cotton Bowl, slide everyone up a slot (except Purdue would take the Citrus bid since Iowa was there last year), and Minnesota plays in the MUCH more desirable Music City Bowl against an SEC team. Even with a loss in that scenario, MN is likely in the Pinstripe having gone to the Guaranteed Rate last year.

Tennessee is going to drop with Hooker being done.

It's interesting, but none of the predictions I've seen have PSU in a NY6 bowl. PSU fan boards are pretty split on the possibility as well. They think there's a chance that two of LSU/Bama/Tennessee are not in the playoff and end up ranked ahead of them...plus the chance of TCU and Clemson making the playoff, therefore giving lower ranked teams like KSU and UNC auto-bids to the NY6.

So much can still happen, but my personal prediction is Quick Lane with a loss next week and Pinstripe with a win. I think they'll win, so I'll predict something like this:

OSU/Mich: CFP & Rose
PSU: Citrus
Iowa: Reliaquest
Purdue: Mayo
Illinois: Music City
MN: Pinstripe
Maryland: Guaranteed Rate
Wisconsin: Quick Lane

If PSU goes to the Cotton Bowl, slide everyone up a slot (except Purdue would take the Citrus bid since Iowa was there last year), and Minnesota plays in the MUCH more desirable Music City Bowl against an SEC team. Even with a loss in that scenario, MN is likely in the Pinstripe having gone to the Guaranteed Rate last year.
Yep. I overlooked the key thing you mentioned in the first paragraph. My bad.

The Sugar Bowl is contractually obligated to take both an SEC and a Big 12 team, just like the Rose is with the PAC and Big Ten, and the Orange is with the ACC.

That means they get to pull a team up into the bowl, even if that team isn't in the top 12.

So, that's why they're having the Sugar pull K-State up into the game. Clemson should go to the Orange and Oregon to the Rose, so those are fine and probably in the top 12 still anyway. Utah will drop out, Tennessee will drop down somewhere.

Penn St would have to get into the top 10 to make it to the Cotton, in that case. Still doable, but also a lot that can happen.

Ideal would be TCU and Clemson not making the playoff. If somehow Michigan made it (I assume they lose to OSU this week ... so guess they'd have to win in Indy?), even better.

Last edited:

Beat Wisconsin and we should get an SEC team in the Music City or Reliaquest Bowl. Lose to Wisconsin and this season was a giant failure that Fleck deserves a ton of blame for.
Wisconsin is 6-5 and trash. If we beat them, we get the axe, but it's still a massive failure of a season.

We would finish 5-4, and one of either Purdue or Iowa wins the west. I'm at a loss for words on that.

Yup, I agree with this 100%. Stung a little to see a couple Quick Lane predictions today, but honestly it stands to reason if MN loses to Wisconsin. If they win, I think Pinstripe or Music City. They lost a lot of things by blowing that game last night, including bowl positioning -- big time.

I understand in terms of finish that could be the case but Maryland probably also finishes 7-5. We would deserve a better bowl than the Quick Lane simply as a makeup call for our lousy bowl assignment last season where we went to a lower bowl than 6-6 Maryland while we had an 8-4 record and beat both Purdue and Wisconsin.

And actually, in December, with all the holiday decorations, even that's pretty cool. But weather wise, I don't think I'd want to sit in Yankee Stadium.

I used to live less than an hour from Nashville. Although Nashville may have a higher temperature on average than NYC in late December, it certainly can be as low or lower than NYC at that time.

I used to live less than an hour from Nashville. Although Nashville may have a higher temperature on average than NYC in late December, it certainly can be as low or lower than NYC at that time.
In a few years they'll have their version of USBS. The new defacto standard design.

Wisconsin is 6-5 and trash. If we beat them, we get the axe, but it's still a massive failure of a season.

We would finish 5-4, and one of either Purdue or Iowa wins the west. I'm at a loss for words on that.

8-4 is a "massive failure of a season". What world do you live in? Did you just become a Gopher fan in 2019?

Top Bottom